Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Pope is an upgrade on Dubravka but Botman is a big upgrade on the likes of Clark, Lascelles. Maddison would be a big improvement for them

The squad is still poor in places but they have momentum like we did when the Ellis era ended and that could help them.

I think they will finish above us from what I have seen of both in the last 6 months

Having watched us under Gerrard, in all honesty, I am yet to see anything which makes me think we will challenge the top 8. We look pretty solid now but nowhere near a Europe finish. We still seem to struggle to get the strikers into the game as much as they should be. Hopefully Archer will be the answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Having watched us under Gerrard, in all honesty, I am yet to see anything which makes me think we will challenge the top 8. We look pretty solid now but nowhere near a Europe finish. We still seem to struggle to get the strikers into the game as much as they should be. Hopefully Archer will be the answer.

Don't disagree

But at the same time other than consistency I'm not seeing anything Newcastle have that's better than us

I'll be disappointed if we don't finish above them, we have a better squad 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't disagree

But at the same time other than consistency I'm not seeing anything Newcastle have that's better than us

I'll be disappointed if we don't finish above them, we have a better squad 

Apart from the inevitable helping hand they will no doubt get to claim their place at the top table from the FA, VAR etc. Something we will not get and which for me is worth 10 - 15 points per season for the "chosen" clubs, if not more.

21 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Massively overhyped transfer window for them per the Guardian who failed to mention Botman only joined because Milan pulled the plug. 

The second part of this is some weird bitterness.  I mean, that's often the way with most transfers.  You could say we only have Carlos because Newcastle pulled the plug in January, otherwise he'd be there.  Such a weird comment.

The first part, though, is true.  Just don't see them finishing 7th.  If they do, it'll be an utterly remarkable season.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Think that's a mistake as doubt he'll still be there in 24 months time. 

Money isnt really an option and he probably had an agreement for keeping them up like when we gave Smith a new deal after promotion

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I would say it's unlikely that any current manager will still be in post in 24 months time!

(However, they clearly went for Howe as a stop gap imo and he impressed beyond any expectations...it would not surprise me if they pull the trigger early and try to get a name, like Poch, in if they are available.)

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I would say it's unlikely that any current manager will still be in post in 24 months time!

(However, they clearly went for Howe as a stop gap imo and he impressed beyond any expectations...it would not surprise me if they pull the trigger early and try to get a name, like Poch, in if they are available.)

6 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Me too, first sign of trouble and he’ll be out (which is won’t mind so much now he has signed a big money long term deal).

On 04/08/2022 at 17:13, danceoftheshamen said:

Apart from the inevitable helping hand they will no doubt get to claim their place at the top table from the FA, VAR etc. Something we will not get and which for me is worth 10 - 15 points per season for the "chosen" clubs, if not more.

Absolute rubbish

• Like 1

Yeah as much as the likes of sky and the PLs marketing team will love the idea of more competition don't forget the PL had a high court battle with newcastle over this ownership and lost

They won't be handing them any favours, they certainly won't be a PL "chosen club" 

Won't link a Daily Hail article but they are running one claiming that the Saudi PIF have a big stake in Clearlake Capital who are the biggest group behind the Chelsea purchase.

Nothing will happen of course and I'm sure the PL doesn't care.

Â