Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Are we though? The challenge Newcastle have is maintaining their form into the new season. 

Yes and our challenge is to actually get some form as we dont have any 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was one of the reasons they won the league in 2021. Last season Lille got ripped apart and thats why they finished mid table

So he was instrumental in them winning the title but nobody came in for him. They were poor last year but it also wasn’t his fault? It doesn’t quite add up.

He’s possibly an excellent player, but there’s a reason he’s not higher up the football food chain at this stage. The same reason he hasn’t been capped by Holland.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

So he was instrumental in them winning the title but nobody came in for him. They were poor last year but it also wasn’t his fault? It doesn’t quite add up.

He’s possibly an excellent player, but there’s a reason he’s not higher up the football food chain at this stage. The same reason he hasn’t been capped by Holland.

He was still 20 at the time and wanted to stay and develop and play Champions League

Lille lost Galtier(who is joining PSG now) and Maignan and the replacements werent up to scratch thats why they struggled last season plus had a Champions League campaign to deal with

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

What's your point with him, sorry?That he can't be great because no one big came in for him?

But you know really good players move all the time to non-elite clubs though? It's not an ultra rare thing. Guimaraes, Cucurella, Raphinha, van Dijk, Fofana just plucking a few who'd never played in England before and are Champions League quality.

He is a good player IMO. He obviously isn't a guaranteed success IMO because he's never played in the PL.

I believe the evidence suggests he will succeed and be a huge success for Newcastle.

I would have loved to sign him for Villa. That's my general point. I'm annoyed he's at Newcastle and not Villa.

If you think he won't be a success for them, that's ok. Hopefully he isn't.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What's your point with him, sorry?That he can't be great because no one big came in for him?

No, it’s just the “OMG HOW DID NEWCASTLE MANAGE TO SIGN HIM???” Is a bit OTT at this stage. You’ve decided already he’s going go be instrumental in Newcastles sustained success over the next 5-10 seasons.

Lille had the best players picked off by the bigger boys but he remained at the club. 

You said that it’s rare for someone like him not to be at one of the top / super clubs already etc. I think you’re over doing this, and every transfer Newcastle are making for some reason.

Decent signing that could go either way. 

I believe the evidence suggests he will succeed and be a huge success for Newcastle.

What evidence is that?

Edited by Genie

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But you know really good players move all the time to non-elite clubs though? It's not an ultra rare thing. Guimaraes, Cucurella, Raphinha, van Dijk, Fofana just plucking a few who'd never played in England before and are Champions League quality.

He is a good player IMO. He obviously isn't a guaranteed success IMO because he's never played in the PL.

I believe the evidence suggests he will succeed and be a huge success for Newcastle.

I would have loved to sign him for Villa. That's my general point. I'm annoyed he's at Newcastle and not Villa.

If you think he won't be a success for them, that's ok. Hopefully he isn't.

We bought a CB this summer, similar kind of money 

Do you not think that villa rate Carlos above him and that of villa wanted him we couldnt have gone out and got him? 

You make it sound like Newcastle have pulled off a blinder and I'm just not convinced that they have, Botman is not a gem, he's not an unknown, he's been around for a few years now and no one has taken the plunge on him before now, he also can't get a sniff of the national team 

FWIW I think it's a good signing for where Newcastle are right now however I don't think it's the world class mega signing that they've only done because of the oil money and we should all be jealous thing that you seem to be making it out to be, the notion that they're signing CL quality players... We've bought 3 of them so far this summer, that's just what the PL is it's not a sign of what Newcastle are 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Decent signing that could go either way. 

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

What evidence is that?

That he's really really good for a 22 year old CB. IMO of course! 

Is that evidence? My opinion? Hmm, probably isn't actually. Based on watching him and thinking woah, he's good.

But Lille did win the league, and he starred for them. Then seeing Milan (who sign mostly really good players) wanted him. Bit of evidence there for sure. Probably some number based evidence about as well, but as he's not at Villa I won't searching that out.

I'll just grumble if he's good and be happy if he's bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We bought a CB this summer, similar kind of money 

Do you not think that villa rate Carlos above him and that of villa wanted him we couldnt have gone out and got him? 

I hope they rate Carlos incredibly highly. Don't know if they were aware of Botman's ability, availability or whatever. I would hope they knew of him, weighed it up and said no this is what we need now.

Not a straight choice to make though? I just think Botman is a great signing. Nothing to do with big DC.

You make it sound like Newcastle have pulled off a blinder and I'm just not convinced that they have, Botman is not a gem, he's not an unknown, he's been around for a few years now and no one has taken the plunge on him before now, he also can't get a sniff of the national team 

FWIW I think it's a good signing for where Newcastle are right now however I don't think it's the world class mega signing that they've only done because of the oil money and we should all be jealous thing that you seem to be making it out to be, the notion that they're signing CL quality players... We've bought 3 of them so far this summer, that's just what the PL is it's not a sign of what Newcastle are 

Fair enough. Game of opinions.

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That’s kind of where I am. If they’d signed one of the other young dutch players like de Ligt or De Jong for example then fair enough, thats certainly a coup.

Or the rumours about Bale or Neymar, yep, players from the top drawer.

Botman, feel like a reasonable match with Newcastle. 

Add the others like Wood, Targett, Trippier and Pope and it starts to look a bit scattergun. They’re the kind of players i’d expect them to sign if Ashley was still running things. Guimaraes has looked very good so far. If he has an excellent season I could see him moving again.

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s kind of where I am. If they’d signed one of the other young dutch players like de Ligt or De Jong for example then fair enough, thats certainly a coup.

Or the rumours about Bale or Neymar, yep, players from the top drawer.

Botman, feel like a reasonable match with Newcastle. 

Add the others like Wood, Targett, Trippier and Pope and it starts to look a bit scattergun. They’re the kind of players i’d expect them to sign if Ashley was still running things. Guimaraes has looked very good so far. If he has an excellent season I could see him moving again.

Bale or Neymar wouldnt be a coup though, it would be a disaster signing and not how to build a team. Sure Bale was wanted by Cardiff, Getafe and LA hardly top drawer

Neymar would be only there for the money and probably on 500k a week to take weeks off for his sisters birthday

They are making worryingly sensible signings like when City signed players like Barry, Kolarov or Yaya Toure and dumped Robinho types

• Like 1

I'm not too sure what the hell all this bedwetting is going on in here.

I think both ourselves and Newcastle have made some smart transfers and both sides will be rightly looking at a top half finish next season with a real possibility of pushing the European places.  You can lump us both alongside Leicester, West Ham and Wolves as "the next 5" IMO - although obviously football doesn't tend to work out like that.

r.e: Newcastle's form last season, Eddie Howe did a remarkable job but they were also incredibly fortunate in many of their victories.  I remember when we played them, we were awful and they basically seemed to be a more organised version of the team we beat earlier in the season.  It looked a nailed on 0-0 between two sides playing poorly, but they scored some deflected free kick and won.  They scored a 95th minute winner against Leicester.  They were thoroughly outplayed by Southampton and won 2-1.  They were thoroughly outplayed at home to Brighton and won 2-1.  There's nothing wrong with this - those are the breaks in football and you rightly celebrate when you get them; but it isn't like Newcastle have transformed from a relegation candidate to a top half certainty by any stretch.  Howe did a great job at making them hard to beat and resilient and then they caught some breaks with it.  That's how you win 10 in 15 games or whatever it was.

Their challenge - and our challenge - is going to be playing with the sort of quality that both sides should be playing with, this coming season.  As I said earlier in the thread, and earlier in this post, Newcastle have done good business and no sign of that "Robinho-esque" transfer at all.  I also think we've done good business and should be looking forward to the season instead of wetting ourselves over Newcastle signing some defender.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bale or Neymar wouldnt be a coup though, it would be a disaster signing and not how to build a team. Sure Bale was wanted by Cardiff, Getafe and LA hardly top drawer

Neymar would be only there for the money and probably on 500k a week to take weeks off for his sisters birthday

They are making worryingly sensible signings like when City signed players like Barry, Kolarov or Yaya Toure and dumped Robinho types

I’m not saying Neymar or Bale would be good for them to improve the team, just that it would show a level of intent to attract star names.

Barry, Kolarov and Toure were miles better than Targett, Pope and Wood when they joined City.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not too sure what the hell all this bedwetting is going on in here.

I think both ourselves and Newcastle have made some smart transfers and both sides will be rightly looking at a top half finish next season with a real possibility of pushing the European places.  You can lump us both alongside Leicester, West Ham and Wolves as "the next 5" IMO - although obviously football doesn't tend to work out like that.

r.e: Newcastle's form last season, Eddie Howe did a remarkable job but they were also incredibly fortunate in many of their victories.  I remember when we played them, we were awful and they basically seemed to be a more organised version of the team we beat earlier in the season.  It looked a nailed on 0-0 between two sides playing poorly, but they scored some deflected free kick and won.  They scored a 95th minute winner against Leicester.  They were thoroughly outplayed by Southampton and won 2-1.  They were thoroughly outplayed at home to Brighton and won 2-1.  There's nothing wrong with this - those are the breaks in football and you rightly celebrate when you get them; but it isn't like Newcastle have transformed from a relegation candidate to a top half certainty by any stretch.  Howe did a great job at making them hard to beat and resilient and then they caught some breaks with it.  That's how you win 10 in 15 games or whatever it was.

Their challenge - and our challenge - is going to be playing with the sort of quality that both sides should be playing with, this coming season.  As I said earlier in the thread, and earlier in this post, Newcastle have done good business and no sign of that "Robinho-esque" transfer at all.  I also think we've done good business and should be looking forward to the season instead of wetting ourselves over Newcastle signing some defender.

This is very much my view on things. I’d say us and Newcastle are fishing (no puns please) in similar waters in terms of transfers right now.

My wife’s a Geordie so I spend a fair bit of time in the North East. The view from the average non-cockwomble fan up there is that Villa have done some excellent business in the transfer market recently. They see us very much as a rival to where they aspire to be.

They just believe they have much the better manager. Whether that is the case or not, I think this coming season will be the right time to judge. 

• Like 2

£7.5m for that sleeve sponsor 

Fun88 sponsor them around £6.5m for the main shirt sponsor, the moon deal is worth more than around 10 teams main sponsor including ours 

Its the highest sleeve deal ever done outside of the top 6 (still around £2.5m shy of the big boys deal) and around £6m more a year than ours 

They've paid to end the fun88 deal early too so expect something else stupidly big next summer 

£7.5m for that sleeve sponsor 

Fun88 sponsor them around £6.5m for the main shirt sponsor, the moon deal is worth more than around 10 teams main sponsor including ours 

Its the highest sleeve deal ever done outside of the top 6 (still around £2.5m shy of the big boys deal) and around £6m more a year than ours 

They've paid to end the fun88 deal early too so expect something else stupidly big next summer 

So how are they saying that's market value then?

I thought all these type of deals had to be verified by the league.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think both ourselves and Newcastle have made some smart transfers and both sides will be rightly looking at a top half finish next season with a real possibility of pushing the European places.

Haven't seen anyone say otherwise?

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

We've done good business and should be looking forward to the season instead of wetting ourselves over Newcastle signing some defender.

I am...but this is the Newcastle thread thread... :(

Â