Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think Benteke will be critical for us this season as I would be certain he can better his tally of goals. My money would be on 30+ in all competitions. Funnily enough I doubt scoring goals is going to be our problem this season, the problem that I hope PL has solved is our defence which was a shambles for much of last season but did get much better.

On a more general note is it just me who is loving Spurs plight over Bale? It's great to see them being subjected to some of the nonsense we has to endure, particularly from the media. :)

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

I am loving Spurs squirm as their best player is pulled away to go and pay for a big club. Very entertaining :)

do you also love the fact theyr gonna get 100 millions euro? if they reinvest that money they could play for the champion =/

Why would he get booed? He signed a new contract..

I can understand what Belgian Guy is saying. I'm sure there's a particular element of 'stupid football fan' who would still feel jilted by CB even putting in the transfer request and might feel they're 'exercising their right' to remind him that there was this one time a month ago when they were quite annoyed with him. But they'll be a teeny tiny minority and the "ooooh" will drown out the "Boooo" anyway :)
  • Like 1

I am loving Spurs squirm as their best player is pulled away to go and pay for a big club. Very entertaining :)

do you also love the fact theyr gonna get 100 millions euro? if they reinvest that money they could play for the champion =/

Spurs without Bale would need to spend that €100m just to get back to near where they are now. He is irreplaceable and we saw what they were like without him last season. Mid-table. Now back to Benteke :)

Or they could buy Gomes, Bentley, Pavlyuchenko, Palacios and Corluka equivalents like when they sold Berbatov. We're all aware that they might spend it well, but I'd rather they had to take the risk rather than having the best player in the league.

They've got arguably one of the best midfielders in the world, I mean love him or hate him Bale is world class and as a result unless they invest that money in buying another of the worlds elite then anyone else is a downgrade. The issue is the best players in the world are already playing for the best teams in the world, you're not going to see Fabregas or Ronaldo for instance putting on a Tottenham shirt anytime soon. The chances of Tottenham selling Bale for £80 million are almost guaranteed at this point, but the chances of them re-investing it in a player to replace Bale is the challenge, as other than the two I mentioned earlier I can't think of many others as good or better than him. 

Or they could buy Gomes, Bentley, Pavlyuchenko, Palacios and Corluka equivalents like when they sold Berbatov. We're all aware that they might spend it well, but I'd rather they had to take the risk rather than having the best player in the league.

Wasn't that the team that got them 4th the first time under Redknapp?

The biggest enigma is trying to solve how come our defence was so crap last season. Think about it. All week in training you are practicing up against possibly the best striker in Europe. You are being buffeted & pilloried from post to post by the magnificent beast & trying to work out ways to stop him in his magnificent finishing skills.

Surely after that, facing anybody else come match day should be an absolute doddle?

Suggestions/ explanations anyone?

Wasn't that the team that got them 4th the first time under Redknapp?

I think that was more down to Defoe, Lennon, Modric, King and Bale but I see your point. They were part of that squad and that is concerning enough. Darn you.

The biggest enigma is trying to solve how come our defence was so crap last season. Think about it. All week in training you are practicing up against possibly the best striker in Europe. You are being buffeted & pilloried from post to post by the magnificent beast & trying to work out ways to stop him in his magnificent finishing skills.

Surely after that, facing anybody else come match day should be an absolute doddle?

Suggestions/ explanations anyone?

The training pitch does not prepare you for match day it just hones your skills. It could be that the issues only present themselves on match day as the players at the back for whatever reason aren't mentally strong. I think that kind of mental fortitude will come with time as they play more matches and grow with the league, but mental fortitude can't be instilled on the training ground similar to how taking penalties in training means nothing as to do it with 60,000 eyes bearing down on you is entirely different. I think our defenders have the skill and like you said they have the ideal player in Benteke to train with, but I think they lack belief in their own abilities and sometimes let the occasion get to them. 

Saw Benteke walking round Sutton earlier, don't know if that makes any difference on the likelihood of his involvement tonight.

Have you approached or been approached by the press boys about this yet?

Is the story going to be splashed across the News Of The World? :)

Â