Christian Benteke

Kwan

Why?

It's true, we would have gone down and if we do not bring in an effective CF we could struggle again for goals, hence possible relegation candidates again

Id take 20million plus Sigurdsson if Lambert was interested. Would give us an attacking threat from midfield and hopefully a hungry player with a point to prove unlike Ireland.

would give Lambert cash to play with

How much is Sigurdsson on and would he drop it?

These type of players are out of touch whilst we have our current pay structure.

Sig is believed to be on 60.000 and obviously would not be willing to be paid less.

Spurs turned down a £10m bid on him last transfer window

Parker is too old now and past his best , huddlestone is an ok player when fit but injury prone - the other 2 wouldn't be acceptable either so dig deep levy and pay up the cash.

Edited by Eastie

Why?

It's true, we would have gone down and if we do not bring in an effective CF we could struggle again for goals, hence possible relegation candidates again

Yeah, I think he talks sense.

Good retort TJ...

Anybody other than the Sky 4 getting top 4 keeps the league alive - IMO, whoever that may be (barring Coventry vermin and SHA). Of course, the league would be even more exciting if all 20 clubs could compete, but that is a utopia far away from here. 

Though it probably upset you at the time, I was quite happy for Arsenal to win the league to break the Man U monopoly.

Football is tribal and experiences through life help form opinions and emotions. I have still never forgiven Leeds United for beating us on TV one Sunday afternoon in October (ish) 1991 (4-1) and as such, the best day of my life (up until I got married) was seeing us beat them 3-0 at Wembley in the League Cup Final 1996. Likewise, my despise for Chelsea stems from a 3-1 home defeat we suffered at the start of the 1992-3 season. I really hate them... and their fans... For a variety of reasons.

I am older now and slightly more mature, so getting beat 4-0 on Boxing Day by your lot was gutting at the time, but we've moved on. Never had a problem with Spurs and a couple of my good friends in life are Spurs.

There are good Spurs fans and bad ones... same as Villa, same as Blues (yes... there are some good ones), Baggies, Scousers, even Mancs. There are NO good Chelsea fans - in my opinion. A shit arse club with shit arse fans. Scumbags. I'm surprised John Terry hasn't been seen in his Chelsea shirt holding the Wimbledon men's singles trophy.

Anyway, whoever gets Benteke will have a very good player. I don't really care where he goes, so long as it is dealt with quickly, and for a fee that does not leave my Club feeling bullied and robbed. At the end of the day, if he stays, he stays. We'll move on until this time next year.

The Benteke Bereavement Curve - I am at acceptance.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2

Id take 20million plus Sigurdsson if Lambert was interested. Would give us an attacking threat from midfield and hopefully a hungry player with a point to prove unlike Ireland.

These type of players are out of touch whilst we have our current pay structure.

Not sure what Siggi's on, but I'm guessing it's under £50k, our over all wage bill isn't a lot higher than yours, £90m to your £70m (6th and 7th highest in the PL), and the main difference will be between the absolute top earners rather than at the mid-level I'd have thought. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Edited by TartarugaJones

I hate the 'take away his goals and Villa would have been relegated' argument.

Yes, I think most teams would struggle playing with 10 men all season.

exactly. people dont say take RVP goals away and United would have finished 8th

Not sure what Siggi's on, but it will be under £50k, our over all wage bill isn't a lot higher than yours, £90m to your £70m (6th and 7th highest in the PL), and the main difference will be between the absolute top earners rather than at the mid-level I'd have thought. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Spurs wages have been upped recently, in line with increased turnover it should be said, but it's quite telling.

Established players and £10m+ signings in past 5 years usually were on around 40k.

Similiar players these days seem to be on 60k

Reckon Benteke would be offered up to 80k and be among the top earners if a transfer happen.

Same as the part of Adebayor's wages Spurs cover

Edited by rosenthal

Spurs i believe are trying to get their deals done before bale is sold and the asking fee rises - without bale they will not be a top 4 threat next season even with bnteke .

It's a big career mistake by him to leave villa now - he should have waited one more year and gone to far bigger than spurs .

I have come here after previously spending many years at h&v forum and would like to say how impressed I am with the set up here - its very good and thanks for making me welcome .

Don't think Bale's leaving this summer.

He's too much used in promotion by Spurs, the Premier League and the tv rights holders. Truelly is the face of the Premier League these days.

Also gotten himself involved in private sponsor ship deals tied into the Premier League.

Think you might be right though that Spurs are willing to sign players knowing there's a Bale windfall in future years.
Transfers are usually paid over years, sometimes the years of said players contract. Real Madrid as an example still owe Spurs £20m for Modric.

Only oil doped clubs pay all at once. Signing players now feels safe for Spurs as they know when downpayments are due Bale will have been sold.

Bale will obviously leave, but it doesn't seem likely this summer

This would be the best situation for all parties

Bale leaves spurs 

Spurs get ready to reinvest Bale transfer fee into signing Benteke

Benteke stays at villa pledging his future signing a 5 year contract

He talks to the media claiming that he would never join spurs as he's a gooner till he dies and he just did it for trolls

• Like 4

we now have spurts fans discussing with each other on a villa forum.

You couldnt get your hat on could you?

I'm no spurs fan -season ticket holder at villa for years and fan for 34 years .

I'm no spurs fan -season ticket holder at villa for years and fan for 34 years .

I wasnt talking about you!

Rosenthal and Tartaruga or whatever

I have come here after previously spending many years at h&v forum and would like to say how impressed I am with the set up here - its very good and thanks for making me welcome .

Welcome Eastie! Glad to see you've upgraded to VT

:D

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

[Edit] Just realised you're a Spurs fan. Going to delete as I see it's annoying to most of the regulars...

I don't think any of our players, other than Bale, will be on wages unaffordable to Villa. Probably what you pay Bent is equal to our top earners. If we're looking at a player plus money type deal then Gylfi's a good shout, however I think it's much better to just pay cash and if we want to recoup some of that out lay later we can always sell Gylfi (or whoever), and if you're interested at that time you can always put in a bid. Doing one transfer is hard enough, but trying to to do two at the same time and have them contingent on each other seems a nightmare!!!

Spurs i believe are trying to get their deals done before bale is sold and the asking fee rises - without bale they will not be a top 4 threat next season even with bnteke .
It's a big career mistake by him to leave villa now - he should have waited one more year and gone to far bigger than spurs .

I agree with this. On spurs forums people are always moaning that we don't get our deal done early enough, but what they don't realise is that we're actually trying to get next year's deals done this year, and so in that context waiting until the end of the summer doesn't seem so bad!

I agree that selling Bale will be huge to overcome, on the other hand I'm a great believer in the Borussia Dortmund/Arsenal approach which puts an emphasis on finding player to fit the team as a whole, rather than on any individual. I think it's very hard to do it this way, but if you can find a model that works (which basically means a player recruitment team and a coach and coaching staff), then you can end up with a team greater than the sum of it's parts. The evidence for this can often be seen when players who shone in one team are sold for mega bucks and go onto to disappoint slightly elsewhere. I think this is also the model Villa are trying to follow, and also Liverpool. It's tough, but it's how clubs of our size have to operate. I also don't think Villa are a million miles away either. The gap in points between us last season would suggest a gulf, but because I believe in this approach I also think that teams can just click, and when they do everyon'es perceptions change quickly too.

Edited by TartarugaJones

Why not when it has relevance and insight into the discussion.

It's a Spurs fan quoting another Spurs fan once in a 519 pages thread.

I'm holding myself to mostly read only in this thread.

It's too full of anger, desperation and delusion throughout for it to make any sense to involve in debate as an outsider

Entertaining to read though

Â