Christian Benteke

Kwan

fantastic position really we are in. ....

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"? You should read 1984 by George Orwell: "War is Peace". "Ignorance is Strength" etc.

Maybe you should

• Like 1

The startling similarity between Benteke and Bale is neither will be playing for their respective clubs after the end of next season at the the latest. Bale is way too good a player for Spurs and will go to a mega club and to be honest Spurs looked average without him although it depends who they bring in. Similarly we have to get used to life without Benteke because he will leave.

What really makes me laugh is the hypocrisy of Levy, who is little more than the pit bull of the absentee owner. He gives it large about Bale and contracts and he is not for sale and then seems to think he can sign someone else's star player for naff all and the pick of a bunch of overpaid or has been players. Huddlestone FFS! He has never been able to hold down a place in the Spurs side and at 26 he is hardly a prospect and add to that his injury record.

On this one I think Randy will deliver. He won't be pushed around particularly by Levy for all the obvious reasons and if Spurs want him they pay the price in cash. £25m seems to be the number being quoted and I expect that is the minimum to get a discussion going. The simple fact I would guess is that Spurs have not got the money and are having to sell to buy. They have already spunked £17m on Leandro (?) hence the fire sale of fringe players but hardly surprisingly their valuations and the rest of the football world are very different. Scott Parker four years ago would have been a great signing but at 32 and wanting a final payday and Spurs wanting a fee hardly fits the Lambert mould.

As for Benteke I find his behaviour very disappointing but I guess hardly surprising and I would strongly suspect we will not be the last club he screws over like this. A big part of me just wants him sold as any respect I had for him is long gone. TBH if say PSG or even Chelsea were coming in for him I could see it but Spurs??? Talk about selling yourself short.

Having said all that if he stays he will score goals. Much as I would love to see him rot in the reserves that really is cutting of your nose. I do think we hold the cards here. He had been badly advised as we will hold out for our price, of that I am 100% confident. He has also **** over his current club and their fans which is a long way to come back from.That price is top dollar for a player with one season in a top league but that money will give us the ability to buy Benteke 2 and strengthen other areas.

As many posters have said its a win / win but I do think the longer it goes on the less likely it is he will be sold.

Edited by Harry

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"?

We have the best of a bad situation, yes.

- We bought him for £5-6m, he's now worth £25m

- He's on low wages (similar to Barry Bannan and Nathan Delfouneso), contracted for another 3 years

- He's handed in a transfer request so loses any 'loyalty' payment from a transfer

- As the World Cup is next year, he has to perform, no matter which team or amount of wages he's on

- If and when we do get an acceptable offer, Lambert will (hopefully be allowed to) re-invest the money to strengthen our team

It's a much better situation to the ones we had when Milner, Young, Barry or Downing wanted moves away.

• Like 1

You can't honestly really wonder whether he'd do that. Give Villa an even stronger hand in all of this after handing in a transfer request, just for the short-term benefit of a few extra quid. I agree this is all win-win for Villa but I think he has made it clear that the current contract is the only one he'll be signing at Villa.

I see what your saying BOF but didn't Modric do exactly that. Probably word the contract so he defo goes next summer. Heard of stranger things.

We're talking about different things then. My response was about a new contract with an added year on the end of it making it 4 years. You're putting forward a scenario where a new contract has 'leaving in 12 months' written into it. I'm sure he'd be fine signing a contract that had him leaving in a year because that would effectively be turning a 36 month contract into a 12 month one. In that scenario it would be Villa who would probably tell him to do one.

Paul Merson is right. Losing him puts us in a relegation battle IMO. We will find it hard to replace him.

But it's as if he's presuming we won't buy anyone with the money. Selling Benteke does not put us in a relegation battle, especially if the new signings---Bacuna, Luna, Okore, Tonev, Helanius---have improved the squad. It only puts us in a relegation battle if we spunk all the money we get from Benteke on bad signings, and if we have made no improvement as a team/squad with those players.

Basically, I say this is hysterical nonsense because it is impossible to make that kind of judgement now, in July. Lambert has proven himself to be good in the transfer market and if that continues we have every chance of having a good season with or without Benteke. 

Edited by praisedmambo

You can't honestly really wonder whether he'd do that. Give Villa an even stronger hand in all of this after handing in a transfer request, just for the short-term benefit of a few extra quid. I agree this is all win-win for Villa but I think he has made it clear that the current contract is the only one he'll be signing at Villa.

I see what your saying BOF but didn't Modric do exactly that. Probably word the contract so he defo goes next summer. Heard of stranger things.

We're talking about different things then. My response was about a new contract with an added year on the end of it making it 4 years. You're putting forward a scenario where a new contract has 'leaving in 12 months' written into it. I'm sure he'd be fine signing a contract that had him leaving in a year because that would effectively be turning a 36 month contract into a 12 month one. In that scenario it would be Villa who would probably tell him to do one.

Presuming the club are indeed willing to sell for say £25m then a new contract with that release clause written in would not be too bad for either party. It ensures we have 3 years on the contract when this situation comes up next summer and can get the full figure, whilst for the player he gets extra money whilst waiting for a club to make an actual move.

Paul Merson is right. Losing him puts us in a relegation battle IMO. We will find it hard to replace him.

But it's as if he's presuming we won't buy anyone with the money. Selling Benteke does not put us in a relegation battle, especially if the new signings already made) have improved the squad. It only puts us in a relegation battle if we spunk all the money we get on bad signings, and if we have made no improvement as a team/squad so far because the current new signings don't make the grade.

This is hysterical nonsense as it is impossible to make that kind of judgement now, in July. Lambert has proven himself good in the transfer market and if that continues we have every chance of having a good season with or without Benteke.

We will still struggle to replace those goals and assists even if we spent all the money on one replacement. I would much rather he stayed for another 12 months giving us two seasons to pull away from the bottom clubs before we have to sell him.

• Like 1

The startling similarity between Benteke and Bale is neither will be playing for their respective clubs after the end of next season at the the latest. Bale is way too good a player for Spurs and will go to a mega club and to be honest Spurs looked average without him although it depends who they bring in. Similarly we have to get used to life without Benteke because he will leave.

I think the difference between Bale and Benteke is that the Benteke proceeds are not needed and will likely be invested in our squad. The Bale proceeds are required to redevelop their stadium.

@bbcsport_david

David Ornstein

Spurs hope to sign Benteke. Depends on Fee + other clubs keen. Will develop next week & likely to be straight cash, no player exchange.

Jesus breaking news! has this guy been asleep for a week

Edited by villan_007

@bbcsport_david

David Ornstein

Spurs hope to sign Benteke. Depends on Fee + other clubs keen. Will develop next week & likely to be straight cash, no player exchange.

What so they are going to offer us 25 mill straight cash?

Looks like they will need to shift Huddlestone and Adebayor in a hurry then to get it done next week

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"? You should read 1984 by George Orwell: "War is Peace". "Ignorance is Strength" etc.

I really wish I could muster some sort of insult but it really would be wasted.

Ignore is a really brilliant function by the way

You will never know how much I wish I could use it.

Well i for one am glad you are unable to  ;)

@bbcsport_david

David Ornstein

Clock's ticking only a few days left now

Yes because he knows all our contingency plans.

But it's as if he's presuming we won't buy anyone with the money. Selling Benteke does not put us in a relegation battle, especially if the new signings already made) have improved the squad. It only puts us in a relegation battle if we spunk all the money we get on bad signings, and if we have made no improvement as a team/squad so far because the current new signings don't make the grade.

This is hysterical nonsense as it is impossible to make that kind of judgement now, in July. Lambert has proven himself good in the transfer market and if that continues we have every chance of having a good season with or without Benteke.

We will still struggle to replace those goals and assists even if we spent all the money on one replacement. I would much rather he stayed for another 12 months giving us two seasons to pull away from the bottom clubs before we have to sell him.

I do think what you're saying is a bit obvious. "We will struggle"...possibly but it is doable, especially if the team is more balanced next year. It would be great to have him for another season. 

With respect to Merse, I own sharper spoons. Lambert will know more than anyone both the size of the hole left behind by Benteke that requires filling and the ability of those left behind to progress this club without him. Lambert will do what he needs to do if (yes if) Benteke leaves this summer. We won't be all of a sudden starting matches with 10 men and we will be replacing him. Otherwise he'd have Lambert's blessing to leave at any point up until the end of the window.

• Like 1

Â