Christian Benteke

Kwan

"£30m would get 4 players of Benteke's quality (based on he cost £7m last summer) that just haven't been discovered or played at the highest level."

I suppose that's some consolation.

£30m and Benteke's wages are more likely to get us two £7m players with a little change when you figure in their wages, maybe two and a half.

Fair point. Add in the fact we'll have an allocated budget for the summer spend and we're offloading a few we could be far better off by September.

£20m budget for the summer, £30m for Benteke, £10m for Bent, then probably another £10m in further sales of bit part players. Very rough estimates of course. That could be £70m right there and we'd obviously spend no where near that. I predict our wage bill will be lower next season and the squad will be better. Win win.

£10m for Bent?  He'll be 30 this coming season and he's hardly been on fire since he picked up his injury under dogshit mcleish.  I honestly reckon we'd be lucky to get £5m for him now...

Bent fee is debatable - RVP went for 25m at he's 29. Anyway that's by the by. What I'm trying to get across is we could have somewhere between £60-80m this summer so if we spent just 1/3 of that and trimmed the wage bill things would be looking extremely healthy. 

Bent fee is debatable - RVP went for 25m at he's 29. Anyway that's by the by. What I'm trying to get across is we could have somewhere between £60-80m this summer so if we spent just 1/3 of that and trimmed the wage bill things would be looking extremely healthy. 

Robin van Persie had just scored 30 league goals.  Bent has scored 2 this season.  I'm saying £5m.  I would like to think it would be more, but realistically, a player that has not played regular football for near-18 months (which it will be by the start of next season) is not going to command a bigger transfer fee.

when well play at home against serbia ill make a signboard with: "benteke please stay at AVFC!!" =P

Go for it, that would be ace!

Expect the media to report it as 'Benteke urged to end stay at Villa'.

Over here they are reporting the misquotes as well, not just the tabloids but also the main broadsheet, pisses me off. When you list the Sun as your journalistic source you know you have a problem.

• Like 1

I'm actually happy to see him go now, provided that we get a good price for him.

I'm not at all convinced he'll do as well next year and, as long as the funds are re-invested, then I think our team could benefit overall from his departure.

We have £30m worth of talent upfront in the form of Benteke, that's atleast comparable to the cost of the rest of the first 11 put together. We are woefully lacking quality elsewhere in the team, and I think we'd be a far more balanced team if we were to re-invest the proceeds from Benteke into a £10m Centre half, £10m Centre mid and £10m replacement upfront. I'm aware things are far from being that simple, but it atleast demonstrates my point. Selling Benteke could help us address these areas, provided that the money is re-invested wisely, which I'm quietly confident of with Lambert in charge.

Football money doesn't work like that - if we get £27m for Benteke (it makes the sums simple) and take into account the £3m we won't be paying him over the next three seasons, the total benefit to the club is £30m.

If we go out and buy that £10m Centre half, he's going to want £50k a week for four years - he's a £10m Centre Half - that's a total of £20m of the money gone.

We could take the £10m we've got left and put Weimann on a new contract, or maybe buy a £5m player, but there wouldn't be enough to go out and get two more £10m players without a significant investment from elsewhere.

I disagree. If we were to bring in a £10m player in the same way that we paid £6/£7m for Benteke, we would be paying £10m for potential. Benteke wages were rumoured to be 30k, so I see no reason why we couldn't get a new CB, CM and whoever else we want, on the same wage structure.

(Plus, for any additional wages that don't fit into the £30m, we always have the cafeteria savings from Dunne's departure).

• Like 1

I'm actually happy to see him go now, provided that we get a good price for him.

I'm not at all convinced he'll do as well next year and, as long as the funds are re-invested, then I think our team could benefit overall from his departure.

We have £30m worth of talent upfront in the form of Benteke, that's atleast comparable to the cost of the rest of the first 11 put together. We are woefully lacking quality elsewhere in the team, and I think we'd be a far more balanced team if we were to re-invest the proceeds from Benteke into a £10m Centre half, £10m Centre mid and £10m replacement upfront. I'm aware things are far from being that simple, but it atleast demonstrates my point. Selling Benteke could help us address these areas, provided that the money is re-invested wisely, which I'm quietly confident of with Lambert in charge.

Football money doesn't work like that - if we get £27m for Benteke (it makes the sums simple) and take into account the £3m we won't be paying him over the next three seasons, the total benefit to the club is £30m.

If we go out and buy that £10m Centre half, he's going to want £50k a week for four years - he's a £10m Centre Half - that's a total of £20m of the money gone.

We could take the £10m we've got left and put Weimann on a new contract, or maybe buy a £5m player, but there wouldn't be enough to go out and get two more £10m players without a significant investment from elsewhere.

I did explicitly acknowledge that the world of football isn't quite that simple. I was just trying to demonstrate how re-investing the money from the potential sale of Benteke could (and I stress could) benefit our club in the long term if the right replacements were brought in.

To counter your arguement, I'd say that the wage bill itself will have extra room for manoeuvre due to the departure of several highly paid players, and beyond that, I don't think Lambert is in the business of paying any individual £50k a week to join the club. 

Edited by Shillzz

I did explicitly acknowledge that the world of football isn't quite that simple. I was just trying to demonstrate how re-investing the money from the potential sale of Benteke could (and I stress could) benefit our club in the long term if the right replacements were brought in.

To counter your arguement, I'd say that the wage bill itself will have extra room for manoeuvre due to the departure of several highly paid players, and beyond that, I don't think Lambert is in the business of paying any individual £50k a week to join the club. 

I hope not. Look where doing that has gotten us! Stick with this youth policy but also give better contracts to those at the club who have earned them. I'm kind of hopeful that this current strategy is going to turn us into the Premier League Borussia Dortmund. But that's just me being an optimist....

That is the thing though. Would we want to sell Bent for 5-7M? Hell no, in my honest opinion. He still is and will always be a goalscorer, so for that price we should keep him even though his salary is high.

Let's say next season he is fit and healthy and starts 15-18 games, given Benteke might be injured or rested from time to time. Maybe they can play together if we get better midfielders and better distribution. In 18 games he will get around 8-10 goals when on form, who knows. Neither Gabby or Weimann will deliver close to 0.5 goals pr. game like Bent always has done.

even though his salary is high.

You have to factor that in as well though. If we can get a decent replacement in as backup for Benteke for a small fee and on lower wages it will be worth it. Obviously there's no guarantee he'll be as good a goalscorer as Bent, but having someone with that kind of wage sitting on the bench is a waste, as the resources can be spent elsewhere - on the first team, especially.

Remember, we're still trying to trim down the wage budget and if we want to do that while at the same time pay the likes of Weimann and Benteke more, we'll have to make cuts elsewhere.

Ive been told by someone who happens to see Benteke twice a week that he does want to move on should a really good opportunity come up.

It is hardly news but I thought I would share,

On a separate point the guy who was saying we may have 70 million to spend I see it differently.

Yes we will have a lower wage bill because of the wasters who have/will leave this Summer but based on a 20m budget Benteke being sold and Bent being sold we would be lucky to get 35m combined for Benteke & Bent and then the 20m that is 55m.

Factor in wages expect to spend around 40m

I'm 99% sure that Lambert isn't interested in having masses of money to spend, he just wants enough to get in the players who he wants to develop.  Another budget like last year's would probably do, maybe a bit extra if Benteke gets sold for big money.

Ive been told by someone who happens to see Benteke twice a week that he does want to move on should a really good opportunity come up.

It is hardly news but I thought I would share,

On a separate point the guy who was saying we may have 70 million to spend I see it differently.

Yes we will have a lower wage bill because of the wasters who have/will leave this Summer but based on a 20m budget Benteke being sold and Bent being sold we would be lucky to get 35m combined for Benteke & Bent and then the 20m that is 55m.

Factor in wages expect to spend around 40m

:bang:

I'm 99% sure that Lambert isn't interested in having masses of money to spend, he just wants enough to get in the players who he wants to develop.  Another budget like last year's would probably do, maybe a bit extra if Benteke gets sold for big money.

This basically.

If we sell Benteke (and I really think we will) we HAVE to keep Darren Bent. What's the point getting £7m odd for him? He IS a goalscorer and we won't get another for that money

This basically.

If we sell Benteke (and I really think we will) we HAVE to keep Darren Bent. What's the point getting £7m odd for him? He IS a goalscorer and we won't get another for that money

No we don't. Bent does not fit in with Lambert style of play- why woud he stay even if Benteke is sold? Bent is usually only first choice for teams which come lower mid table- sunderland, charlton, us under Mcleish etc.  He seems a nice fella, and he hasnt rocked the boat this season but he is off. 8-10 mil to a team like Stoke or Norwich, thanks and goodbye.

• Like 1

I don't see it as a case of needing to keep Bent if we sell Benteke. I simply do not think Lambert rates Bent because of how little he does for the team. I think he'd rather sell both and find another striker to replace Benteke rather than keep Bent. 

EDIT: As said in the post above 

Edited by PieFacE

I don't see it as a case of needing to keep Bent if we sell Benteke. I simply do not think Lambert rates Bent because of how little he does for the team. I think he'd rather sell both and find another striker to replace Benteke rather than keep Bent. 

EDIT: As said in the post above

Yeah Lambert will try and sign someone else if Benteke leaves.

This basically.

The point is to get him off the wage bill.

I do get what you're all saying and agree to an extent. I guess my issue is that it's very unlikely that we will manage to unearth another gem like Benteke as it just doesn't happen that often. At least with Bent you know you're going to get goals and I'm not sure we'll be able to sign another goalscorer LIKE Benteke if Benteke leaves.

Â