Christian Benteke

Kwan

80% was definately the rough figure that was mentioned a few years ago. I remember reading that our wage bill was higher than Spurs, amongst other sides (this was a Spurs side containing Van der Vaart, Modric etc etc)

Makes me shudder to think VDV was prob on less than Heskey !!

I can see Bent and Fonz prob both being sold.

I don't know what all the fuss with Gabby/Benteke being injured is about. We have Bent till January so even if we picked up an injury to one of them 2 strikers Bent would be drafted in temporarily until then.

He might buck up his ideas and show Lambert the mistake he has made leaving him out and take his chance who knows, but whatever happens we are sorted till Jan and if Bent does leave then I am sure a replacement will be here just as quick so I don't know why all this faffing about over injuries is so concerning to some.

Take a look at what happened last season when Bent picked up and injury and thats what i'm getting at.

Any reason why?

ITK ?

Not ITK, I just dont see him being brought back into the team with Clark/Baker having performed well in his place. Not sure if he and Vlaar would be a good partnership either. He is in the last year of his contract and hardly fits the young and hungry mould that Lambert is looking for. Well actually he probably is hungry...!

I said before the Swindon game that Benteke is more of a threat than Bent and one or two Villa fans I was with questioned me. Somehow I don't think we'd have got the same results against Swindon and Sunderland with Bent leading the line instead of Benteke. Still think Bent can do a job, but if Lambert's system only suits one or the other, I know which one I prefer.

I don't remember the exact figure, but I'm confident it was above 80%

That was prior to last season though so wages must have reduced fairly significantly by now (although income would have taken a hit too)

based on our books a couple of years back, 84% of our income was going on wages iirc

There you go. I'm fairly sure, even though it's based on 2 seasons ago, that's the latest figure we have.

So it'll be very interesting to see where that goes in the next couple of sets of financial statements.

So that shows that 84% of everything we get, including transfer fees received and TV money, goes straight back into the club via wages.

That's before we've even thought about transfer fees that we spend.

Again, to suggest Randy isn't investing enough is valid (not saying I agree with it)

But to suggest Randy is taking money out of the club is just plain wrong.

I know this is off-topic but I think Dunne is massively overrated on here. He's not been good for quite some time and is clearly way past it. He may have lots of that fabled "experience" but he hasn't got much else. Would rather have Clark, Baker or even Herd next to Vlaar than Dunne.

I know this is off-topic but I think Dunne is massively overrated on here. He's not been good for quite some time and is clearly way past it. He may have lots of that fabled "experience" but he hasn't got much else. Would rather have Clark, Baker or even Herd next to Vlaar than Dunne.

agreed

r.e. wages, in the last 2 seasons weve got rid of

sidwell - 40k

beye - 40k

heskey - 50k?

carew - 50k?

davies - 20k?

reo coker - 40k

luke young - 40k

ashley young - 60k

downing - 40k

collins - 40k

friedel - 30k

cuellar - 30k

milner - 40k

harewood - 20k

combined with the transfer fees for young/downing and others, despite the money spent in the summer and last summer id expect a significant improvement in our next set of accounts.

I'm not arguing that spending had to be cut down and a new approach needed.

My point is that we have not sold our best players and spent the money bringing in equally good players or players with as much potential which is why we've dropped like a stone. The money from selling someone like downing has been spent on a few average players and paying high wages to under performing current squad members. That's not reinvesting the money well into the squad, which when talking about the future of Benteke, seems to mentioned like its guaranteed.

Quite clearly the way we've reinvested the money from selling top players has failed miserably, whats there to defend on that issue? If we hadn't failed at it we'd have replaced our good players with some more decent players but we haven't.

+1

I'm not arguing that spending had to be cut down and a new approach needed.

My point is that we have not sold our best players and spent the money bringing in equally good players or players with as much potential which is why we've dropped like a stone. The money from selling someone like downing has been spent on a few average players and paying high wages to under performing current squad members. That's not reinvesting the money well into the squad, which when talking about the future of Benteke, seems to mentioned like its guaranteed.

Quite clearly the way we've reinvested the money from selling top players has failed miserably, whats there to defend on that issue? If we hadn't failed at it we'd have replaced our good players with some more decent players but we haven't.

But you implied that this was Randy's fault?

If you're saying that the problem is the players we've bought with that money aren't good enough and we're paying players to sit on the bench, how is that anyone but he manager(s)'s fault?

Unless you're extrapolating the blame all the way to Randy appointing the wrong managers?

But you implied that this was Randy's fault?

If you're saying that the problem is the players we've bought with that money aren't good enough and we're paying players to sit on the bench, how is that anyone but he manager(s)'s fault?

Unless you're extrapolating the blame all the way to Randy appointing the wrong managers?

Exactly. The managers are to blame for spending the money poorly.

r.e. wages, in the last 2 seasons weve got rid of

sidwell - 40k

beye - 40k

heskey - 50k?

carew - 50k?

davies - 20k?

reo coker - 40k

luke young - 40k

ashley young - 60k

downing - 40k

collins - 40k

friedel - 30k

cuellar - 30k

milner - 40k

harewood - 20k

combined with the transfer fees for young/downing and others, despite the money spent in the summer and last summer id expect a significant improvement in our next set of accounts.

Davies was on double that - he also had a clause in his contract that he would earn the same as any new arrival on big wages and then a bit ontop. We were desperate to get rid of him for a while because of this.

Â