Christian Benteke

Kwan

If he were to sign a new contract for 1 more year on higher wages, I really doubt that him and his agent would agree to a higher release clause. I imagine the release clause would remain as it is, and that would be a deal-breaker for them.

If the release clause was increased, and Benteke has another season with an injury, or simply an average season by his standards, they would know that they could be in the exact same situation that they are now - a release clause that seems too high compared to his actual value, resulting in teams looking like they're not interested, and Villa insisting we'll just keep him for another year unless no-one meets the clause.

considering since the clause was released its gone a little t*** up id say if there was a new contract id say they'd try get the clause lowerd

Isn't he already on like 70k? I don't understand how anyone could get that type of weekly income and want more. Is an extra 20k a week really going to change his life that much more? 

Plus Benteke makes a lot more on endorsements, goals bonuses, appearances bonuses, etc. 

If he wants to play for one of the best clubs in the world, I understand that, but if he just wants more money, I don't get that at all. 

I can't blame a footballer trying to get as much money as his wealthy employer is willing to pay him. Their career could be over in the second it takes for a bad tackle to destroy a knee or whatever awful scenario you can imagine. A lot of these guys don't have much to fall back on either, so strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 1

Pay me 70k for a year and I am set for life. 

Problem is that you probably wouldn't be because you'd get used to having a lifestyle at that level and once you stop earning that you want to continue living your lifestyle.  Look how many players have declared bankruptcy not long after retirement or go on to continue working in whatever form.  People get used to living off the wage they earn and some are fortunate to invest wisely and others squander that money but very few ever retire from all work post the football career.  You start expecting the better things in life, bigger mortgages (larger interest payment), more exotic holidays, better cars etc and you also do this because your friends (new friends) do the same so peer pressure.  You also think how many fat cats have been in the press over the last 20 years about wanting more money, doing dodgy schemes to get more money even though they are incredibly wealthy anyway.  The same with recording artists or any walk of life, money is not the be all but people get used to living at a certain level and while you think you'd be set for life at 70k per week, that's because you are comparing it to the situation you are in now.  These guys are used to 70k a week and 20k more is better, 50k even better and so on......... so it's all about your own situation.  Just think when it comes to your annual pay rise at work, a difference in a 2% payrise to a 4% payrise, that's not life changing but I'm sure it would be a big issue for you

• Like 1

I also think it comes down to these footballers being given large amounts of money as teens and young adults. They typically don't get a higher education, so they don't learn basic finance. They don't realize that saving money and investing are things they really should be doing.

I recently graduated from uni and have a very good paying job now. I went from making really nothing, to earning thousands weekly. This really hasn't changed my perspective on things. I still set aside quite a bit of money each month, and I rarely make large purchases aside from my car which I waited to purchase. 

I seem to remember some league holds back 10-15% of player wages to be paid as a pension fund of sorts when they're retired. Maybe a Scandinavian league? That's a great idea imo

• Like 1

I seem to remember some league holds back 10-15% of player wages to be paid as a pension fund of sorts when they're retired. Maybe a Scandinavian league? That's a great idea imo

That is honestly genius. 10% of a 50k weekly wage is 5k. That is enough for anyone to live off of on top of whatever savings they should have had going into retirement. 

when you consider every now and then it comes out about a ex pro struggling ( wasnt there an ex arse player last year said he was homeless? ) having the money aside for later in life ( retirement years 60+ ) is a wise thong to do.if footballers get used to a certain way of living more than likely most would blows theres im sure..so taking a cut of the wages and putting it aside to hit 65 say is the best thing the Premier League could do.

it'll never happen tho because majority of footballers are to greedy and would argue they need that 5% now

Pay me 70k for a year and I am set for life.

Problem is that you probably wouldn't be because you'd get used to having a lifestyle at that level and once you stop earning that you want to continue living your lifestyle.  Look how many players have declared bankruptcy not long after retirement or go on to continue working in whatever form.  People get used to living off the wage they earn and some are fortunate to invest wisely and others squander that money but very few ever retire from all work post the football career.  You start expecting the better things in life, bigger mortgages (larger interest payment), more exotic holidays, better cars etc and you also do this because your friends (new friends) do the same so peer pressure.  You also think how many fat cats have been in the press over the last 20 years about wanting more money, doing dodgy schemes to get more money even though they are incredibly wealthy anyway.  The same with recording artists or any walk of life, money is not the be all but people get used to living at a certain level and while you think you'd be set for life at 70k per week, that's because you are comparing it to the situation you are in now.  These guys are used to 70k a week and 20k more is better, 50k even better and so on......... so it's all about your own situation.  Just think when it comes to your annual pay rise at work, a difference in a 2% payrise to a 4% payrise, that's not life changing but I'm sure it would be a big issue for you

In other words its just pure greed!

• Like 1

That is honestly genius. 10% of a 50k weekly wage is 5k. That is enough for anyone to live off of on top of whatever savings they should have had going into retirement.
Before tax.

I also think it comes down to these footballers being given large amounts of money as teens and young adults. They typically don't get a higher education, so they don't learn basic finance. They don't realize that saving money and investing are things they really should be doing.

I recently graduated from uni and have a very good paying job now. I went from making really nothing, to earning thousands weekly. This really hasn't changed my perspective on things. I still set aside quite a bit of money each month, and I rarely make large purchases aside from my car which I waited to purchase. 

Post back here in ten years when you are married with some kids. We will see how your perspective is doing then.  :)

• Like 1

I know many Swedish Icehockey (and probably football) players choose to put a notable % of the salary into pension funds instead of taking it out directly.

This is done mostly for tax reasons, but obviously it also stops you from blowing it all on guilded toilets, jet fuel and porcelain jaguars

when you consider every now and then it comes out about a ex pro struggling ( wasnt there an ex arse player last year said he was homeless? ) having the money aside for later in life ( retirement years 60+ ) is a wise thong to do.if footballers get used to a certain way of living more than likely most would blows theres im sure..so taking a cut of the wages and putting it aside to hit 65 say is the best thing the Premier League could do.

it'll never happen tho because majority of footballers are to greedy and would argue they need that 5% now

If it was put into a tax free savings account at 5% of gross, or at least a very low tax one, they'd barely notice any difference in their wage packet. Instead of getting 30k gross, they'd be getting 28,500k gross, with the actual difference in weekly income to them only being around 750 a week I think (from the little I know of UK tax), for example

Edited by P3te

Isn't he already on like 70k? I don't understand how anyone could get that type of weekly income and want more. Is an extra 20k a week really going to change his life that much more? 

Plus Benteke makes a lot more on endorsements, goals bonuses, appearances bonuses, etc. 

If he wants to play for one of the best clubs in the world, I understand that, but if he just wants more money, I don't get that at all. 

It's all relative. If people doing the same thing as you are making more, you'll think you deserve more - it's only natural.

its not the good players getting that money Im bothered by but its the Habib Beye's or Jimmy Bullards that really get on my nerves

• Like 1

£22m is a "we are Liverpool and you are Villa" bid, something that says to us, know your place.

Oddly it shows more that Liverpool haven't quite noticed theirs.

We will need to be calm and patient on this one, he's worth £32.5m in the modern world and we know it - all the tricks in the world won't change that.

• Like 2

Â