Christian Benteke

Kwan

Croatia played that gime with 3 defenders because they had to win when you do that to lukaku u are almost offering the goals to him on a plate. on the WQ no1 is going to give us the space wich lukaku needs. and hazard is not the same player as he is for chelsea de bruyne, courtois,benteke,kompany,witsel are our importants players.

Agreed that the key players are kompany, witsel and courtois. De Bruyne played a key role in the qualifiers, but his form dropped recently. Again, benteke was not a key player for belgium. Starting every game doesn't mean you're the star. Compare it to Westwood for us, he features in every game with decent performances but he is not our star (different role I know)

When fit benteke is the first choice striker for belgium, but without him the likes of hazard, Mertens, de Bruyne and Mirallas still pose enough threat to any team. Add lukaku to that and it is impossible to say that belgium has 'lost it's sting in attack'

Dude, I highly doubt that u even watched the games Benteke was def a keyplayer for us the way he controls the bal and hold it while the rest of the attackers can move in was absolute very important for our gameplay u will see on the WC how poor lukaku is in keeping the ball and playing on a small surface. 

I have watched all of them, thank you. That's also why I'm pretty sure croatia didn't play with 3 defenders in the game against Belgium. They did play high upfield because they needed to win.

'the way he controls the ball and hold it while the rest of the attackers can move'- is just the way the team is set up. Lukaku got into trouble for saying he didn't like playing with his back to goal.

Again, Benteke is an important player for Belgium, but not the key player. Just this week Wilmots again stated that the first names on his sheet are Courtois, Kompany, WItsel, Hazard and De Bruyne. Granted, he's made this comment while Benteke is injured, but he doesn't say anything like 'if Benteke were fit, he would be there as well'. Lukaku is different, but not as bad as you make him out to be.

ofcourse he didn't mention Benteke since he is injured... what do u expect that he say benteke is the first name on my sheet ? if he said that it would deystroy the confidence of lukaku.

btw: http://www.transfermarkt.nl/nl/kroati%C3%AB-belgi%C3%AB/index/spielbericht_2261890.html

on this link u see that croatia started with 3 defender they played us 3-4-2-1

i have watched every second from our national squad since 2002 on the WC

Edited by Belgian guy

One interesting thing from his absence is how much more dangerous we look at corners now...we still do the floated rubbish on occasions but Holt scored from one v Fulham, we scored from another against Hull and caused them a few other problems so maybe worth considering not pandering to Benteke's wishes at corners all the time when he returns.

What makes you think it is Benteke that "wishes" for floaters?

HH said that he requested the ball to be played in that way as it's how he preferred to attack the ball.

...as opposed to the usual Westwood / Albrighton special which rarely beats the near post defender ?

Croatia played that gime with 3 defenders because they had to win when you do that to lukaku u are almost offering the goals to him on a plate. on the WQ no1 is going to give us the space wich lukaku needs. and hazard is not the same player as he is for chelsea de bruyne, courtois,benteke,kompany,witsel are our importants players.

Agreed that the key players are kompany, witsel and courtois. De Bruyne played a key role in the qualifiers, but his form dropped recently. Again, benteke was not a key player for belgium. Starting every game doesn't mean you're the star. Compare it to Westwood for us, he features in every game with decent performances but he is not our star (different role I know)

When fit benteke is the first choice striker for belgium, but without him the likes of hazard, Mertens, de Bruyne and Mirallas still pose enough threat to any team. Add lukaku to that and it is impossible to say that belgium has 'lost it's sting in attack'

Dude, I highly doubt that u even watched the games Benteke was def a keyplayer for us the way he controls the bal and hold it while the rest of the attackers can move in was absolute very important for our gameplay u will see on the WC how poor lukaku is in keeping the ball and playing on a small surface. 

I have watched all of them, thank you. That's also why I'm pretty sure croatia didn't play with 3 defenders in the game against Belgium. They did play high upfield because they needed to win.

'the way he controls the ball and hold it while the rest of the attackers can move'- is just the way the team is set up. Lukaku got into trouble for saying he didn't like playing with his back to goal.

Again, Benteke is an important player for Belgium, but not the key player. Just this week Wilmots again stated that the first names on his sheet are Courtois, Kompany, WItsel, Hazard and De Bruyne. Granted, he's made this comment while Benteke is injured, but he doesn't say anything like 'if Benteke were fit, he would be there as well'. Lukaku is different, but not as bad as you make him out to be.

ofcourse he didn't mention Benteke since he is injured... what do u expect that he say benteke is the first name on my sheet ? if he said that it would deystroy the confidence of lukaku.

btw: http://www.transfermarkt.nl/nl/kroati%C3%AB-belgi%C3%AB/index/spielbericht_2261890.html

The same site has us playing a back 5 against Hull, when that really wasn't the case.

What is this, a pissing contest? the only thing I can derive from this information is that you're roughly 20 years old.

As mentioned by others, the info on the given website isn't 100% accurate. Check the details, Strinic is a left back, vrsaljko is a right back. so that would make it 5 defenders. Unless you want to claim we played with 3 defenders against Man City the other day? (pretty similar set-up/situation)

But that is not the point. Lukaku playing against 3 centre backs and still scoring is even more impressive than scoring against 2 (if it was a 4 man defence), in no case it's 'offering him goals on a plate'

My point still stands. Benteke was and is a a respected first team player in the Belgium squad, but he is not the key player you make him out to be. In a team with Hazard, Kompany and Witsel, that is no disgrace.

Christian Benteke has voiced his frustration at having to miss the World Cup but is determined to return ahead of schedule for Aston Villa next season.

Benteke's hopes of playing for Belgium in Brazil this summer were wrecked when he ruptured an Achilles tendon in training at the start of April.

He had been relishing the prospect of showcasing his talent on the biggest stage after an eye-catching 18 months for Villa in the Premier League, and admits it has been a difficult period.

However, he has received the support of his Belgian team-mates and national team boss Marc Wilmots, who battled through a number of injuries during his own playing career.

Reflecting on the moment he got injured, Benteke told RTBF: "As soon as I heard a noise, I fell down.

"I immediately asked a team-mate if it was not broken or if he saw a wound. The fact that he said 'no', was a relief for me. 'Phew, I'm likely to go to Brazil' was what I thought. I tried to stand up, but immediately fell down.

"My balance was gone. I went to the physio room and the doctor told me I would probably out for six months as my Achilles tendon looked torn. I kept on hoping as long as I hadn't had a scan, but when the diagnosis was confirmed, I didn't feel sad, I felt frustrated.

"I was thinking about all the sacrifices I'd made and that I'd deserved to be at the World Cup. That's what I mean with frustration.

"People have said lots of positive things to me. To be honest, I didn't expect that. There were many people who were disgusted with what happened to me and not only people from the world of football. This is what gives strength to stand up and move on."

Benteke added: "When Belgium play their first game against Algeria, on June 17, there will be a little frustration, but I think I can easily watch.

"Marc Wilmots, the national manager, called me on the day I injured myself. He told me injuries are a part of football.

"In a career, there are tough times. He has even bounced back, after a lot of operations, to play at the age of 33. Why shouldn't I? I got a lot of support from Marouane Fellaini and Eden Hazard, but also Vincent Kompany called me to encourage me."

While a six-month lay-off would rule Benteke out of action until at least October, the striker is optimistic that he will come back sooner than expected.

Having missed the end of the season as Villa staved off the threat of relegation, the striker is looking forward to getting back at the earliest possible opportunity.

He said: "I'm convinced I will be back faster than expected. After my injury I also thought about Villa. I had ambitions, but a lot of things crossed my mind.

"At that point we weren't even sure we would stay in the Premier League, but I'm relieved the boys avoided the drop.

"There are many people who have said it will take me six months to get back, but I am sure I will be back faster."

Wonder if he'll recover just in time to be sold in January to Arsenal.

He wont be going anywhere til at least next summer now i wouldn't have thought. And if we get the owners we all hope for maybe longer.

I think we were "lucky" that he got injured when he did and for so long as I don't think the big clubs will come sniffing again until 2015 imo. We'll probably want north of £20m and teams at the top will want to see how he does when he returns from injury before throwing that sort of money at a player who, despite his obvious talents, now has the possibility of not returning to his best and be potentially injury prone for the rest of his career.

Other clubs will want to be sure he isn't a crock and will still have the ability to justify the fee we will demand.

• Like 1

I think we were "lucky" that he got injured when he did and for so long as I don't think the big clubs will come sniffing again until 2015 imo. We'll probably want north of £20m and teams at the top will want to see how he does when he returns from injury before throwing that sort of money at a player who, despite his obvious talents, now has the possibility of not returning to his best and be potentially injury prone for the rest of his career.

Other clubs will want to be sure he isn't a crock and will still have the ability to justify the fee we will demand.

Might keep hold of him anyway if the new owners want to invest heavily

He probably won't play a game until 2015 though ? There's no point having him unless he's making a difference on the pitch

Â