Kwan

So how does the starting XI look...

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna

Delph Westwood Tonev

Weimann Helenius

Benteke

would you leave out Agbolahor? I think Helenius may start on the bench myself

Edited by PaulC

Have given the club stick about letting players go, so only right to give a large, large amount of praise for getting him to not only stay but extend the contract. Well done to everyone involved. Truly fantastic that they've managed it.

Players signed, contract renewals done - for the first time in a long while we are going into a season prepared.

Well done all. Thanks for keeping a very good player. Thanks for making spurs look like morons again.

Better change the avatar, then. #fickle

"Contract renewals done" I still think Vlaar has a lot to offer and should also get rewarded for his efforts. Even Lambert has not signed a contract extension YET!

Of course those who read the EWR thread, saw my interview with him and knew he'd stay all along

Here it is - http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/9142-villatalk-ewr/page-17#entry984778'>http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/9142-villatalk-ewr/page-17#entry984778

8pints: Hello Christian, I'm a big fan, great to meet you!

CB: Likewise.

8pints: Naturally, everyone's a fan of mine

*Crowd boos*

CB: It certainly sounds like it. Anyway I'm off

8pints: When you say you're 'off' what do you mean?

CB: Huh?

8pints: You said 'I'm off', do you mean you're just off out of the ring and you're going backstage or...

CB: Or?

8pints: Or something bigger than that?

CB: What do you mean?

8pints: Are you staying at Villa?

CB: Yes, of course I am, until I retire.

8pints: Well I'm pleased we got that cleared up. See you later.

CB: Goodbye.

8pints: Goodbye for now.

CB: For now yes.

8pints: Ok.

• Like 3

This was so important for the credibility of our plan. We don't always sell our best players once they shine. We may sell at some point, but not bend over right away. That's critical IMO.

Haha Bentake realised nobody was gonna offer 25m and decided to say. Maybe we offered him the same kind of money Spurs would and the clubs ambitions were explained to him.

Whatever it is it is great news he is staying for another year. Could be the difference between staying up or going down again.

Fantastic news. We're a top class AM away from attacking the top 4.

There's a hugely experienced Dutch one in his prime currently rotting in Turkey.

Congrats Villains. Not what anyone expected to happen which makes it all the more sweet. I don't know if I buy the transfer to drive up the wages shctick because in doing that you're not really endearing yourself to your employer. My guess is that Spurs (Levy) had some deluded idea that they were going to somehow swindle Villa into selling Benteke for 15-18 million. Oops ...

Me neither. If that was what his agent was up to it is the tactics of a rank amateur. I'm under no illusion that Spuds couldn't meet the terms required to pull off the deal.

It confirms some things, in my opinion. One, the deadline was the 18th. It wasn't met so he signed up. Had they stumped up he would have gone. Also, we didn't waver in our terms. The compromise that never happened. I think Randy and Paul call that the **** you joey55 negotiating gambit. At least, that's what my ITK tell me.

Lamberts comments were interesting. He used the term "full and frank" which I think means he has sat down with him and told him he made his play, Spuds have made you look a dick, it's not happening, don't be a prick, sign the new deal and get out there and say the words the PR people will give you. How you are happy to be here, the club and your team mates are great, how you owe them and will work hard etc. Play out of your skin for a season, have a great WC and then go to a proper club not some tinpot, half-arsed club that's a perennial also-ran.

Don't get me wrong, I very pleased he's signed up. If he continues where he left off he'll be off this time next year for a huge fee and I think everyone will wave him off fondly with our thanks. That said, looking at the body language in that photo, one of the two seems much happier about it than the other! I wonder if Benteke actually ended up with any more of a rise than was originally offered?

• Like 3

Absolutely buzzin'. Getting the Beast on an extended contract means we are in an even stronger position now than ever. Hope the buy out clause in his contract is £40M.

I still think £60k pw is the bargain of the century.

My only worry now is that AVB goes to Barca & comes back in for the beast but at least I know we will fight our corner if that scenario comes to pass & more importantly we now have an even stronger hold on the Monsters contract.

Oh yeah - one final thing -  Hairy Hands! - Take a bow son & a beer. ;)

Â