Christian Benteke

Kwan

truth is he had 1 season. Emile Heskey was banging them in his 1st season at Liverpool, who is to say he will get 20 goals next season.

Spurs are a team built to get best out of Bale, look at Dempsey he looked ordinary last year following his transfer after consistently banging in goals for Fulham

Utterly ludicrous to give him away to a small club like Spurs for £20m. I'd love to play monopoly for real money against one or two of you. Park Lane for Old Kent Road? It's a deal!  :clap: 

Benteke will be worth £50 million next year. Accept nothing less than £30 million. I would only accept £25m + percentage of sell on fee.

Yes but as i said will WE see any of that money..prob about 5% of that sell on % peanuts to put it correctly

As fans it's natural to hope to sign "top players" but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we will no longer pay the wages that top players demand. Another punt on a "young and hungry striker with potential" is far more likely.

If we sell Benteke for big bucks I don't expect Lambert will get any more than he paid for CB to spend on a potential replacement.

And this is what will annoy the hell out of me...Lambert should get at least the profit he makes on Bentakey to re-invest

Hey, here's an idea. We could think about maybe waiting to see what does happen and THEN get super worked up over it.

• Like 2

Would really prefer 30m but I would begrudgingly accept 25m. Possibly even 20m + Sigurðsson (given that roughly 8-9m was paid for him, you could do worse than that) Anything less than that is a f'ing travesty.

If it's 20m we need to get Sigurdsson as well otherwise no deal.

I'd defo take this i'd take this now..give it me now

If we're going to take any player (and i emphasise player) in p/x then that player has to improve us in a position which is needed. For that reason i would also take Sigurdsson but i would want £25m on top of that.

That in itself opens up another question. If the player was available to us would you take Sigurdsson plus 25m, or 25m plus 20% sell on clause if it is indeed Spurs who are interested in Benteke?

It's a good question because Sigurdsson is a good player. Didn't Rogers say that Gylfi wanted more money than L'pool were prepared to offer even though they had a bid accepted by Swansea? He then signed for Spurs.

Unfortunately that makes even hypothetical discussions about talented players a non starter with the current AVFC policy.

Benteke is a class player.  You could just tell his confidence on the ball last year,  for his age defenders were just bouncing off him

He is no one season wonder.

• Like 3

I think it is about time to accept he will be leaving for under 25m. For me, his departure can not come some enough. We need to move on.

This is where I disagree, we have set a price and it's up to Spurs to pay it. If the shoe was on the other foot, I really doubt Levy would back down TR or not. In principle alone, we should not back down until Aston Villa FC are happy with the deal.

Benteke is a class player.  You could just tell his confidence on the ball last year,  for his age defenders were just bouncing off him

Totally agree Rich. People saying he'll struggle at Spurs is insane in my eyes, at the tempo they play at defences get stretched and that's when CB is at his best.

As fans it's natural to hope to sign "top players" but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we will no longer pay the wages that top players demand. Another punt on a "young and hungry striker with potential" is far more likely.

If we sell Benteke for big bucks I don't expect Lambert will get any more than he paid for CB to spend on a potential replacement.

And this is what will annoy the hell out of me...Lambert should get at least the profit he makes on Bentakey to re-invest

Hey, here's an idea. We could think about maybe waiting to see what does happen and THEN get super worked up over it.

This is exactly right. There is a couple of things on my mind about how we are playing this that has kept me relaxed, despite my disgust at Benteke over his wanting out after a season.

There was the report about the apparent close to the action source saying they were relaxed about the whole thing, "... a low heart rate", I believe the quote was. There is a deal they will accept and nothing less - we just don't know what it is.

The other point on that is there seem to be some murmurings/me reading between the lines that we are happy to get rid. A) It's obvious he does not buy into the project and we can see him for what he is. The Villa management will have seen this a long time ago. B) I actually think they know exactly what they are doing and have a succession plan. They are far from stupid, on the contrary. They will have a plan for him gone and another for him staying and all the circumstances surrounding both. This did not come as a bolt from the blue to them, neither Benteke or Kismet have the brains or subtlety to have taken them by surprise.

The other thing is, we will get the deal we want and don't be concerned with crap you hear post sale. If we rape Levy he'll put it about that it was his idea, he rode us cowgirl and the taste was delicious when he swallowed it.

Who has said he'll struggle, he is a class act, however here he is the main man, where we pass to him more than possibly any player. At Spurs that won't happen IMO. But think he will find his feet later and bang in hatfuls and then Levy will whack 40-50million price bracket on his head.

Are you saying then that he won't go for at least 10 mil less than he's worth because a Spurs fan or London based horribly Spurs biased media says he will, or that we won't get Jermaine Jenas and a packet of ball bearings for him?

You mean to say that Lambert, Faulker and Lerner have got this................. and we may aswell have faith they'll do the right thing for the club?

You mean to say that we may actually unearth some more gems in the transfer market and end up actually better off than we were last season and not be completely reliant on one player....... a player that if injured for any significant length of time would mean relegation.

You mean to say Lambert and co probably saw this coming and prepared for the worst or at least are setting a plan B in motion now?

• Like 1

Totally agree Rich. People saying he'll struggle at Spurs is insane in my eyes, at the tempo they play at defences get stretched and that's when CB is at his best.

All depends on whether he can stay onside ;)

When he was with us he was the main focus, players went all out to find him with the ball, how many times did he have it and shoot instead of playing another player in, do you believe defoe, bale and the like are going to put up with this, they are also top players and will not see him as above them, this could actually damage Spuds more than it improves them, then again it could work, time will tell, all I know is he will have a lot to live up too with the price tag and it may just be too much for him at his age and stage of development, in my opinion a hell of a gamble by Spuds.

Beat me to it, It's not a given he'll be a success at Spurs. PL made him the focus of the side, we sometimes took a direct route, Will Spurs adopt that, or will they play tippy tappy stuff.

I disagree.  I think he'll be great for them.  Defoe is on the ay out Benteke is on the way up.  He'll be theirm main striker for a few year, or atleast until a biger club comes along and taps him up again.

Let's say Villa follow the 'just get it done' advice and sell for £20m; I think the chances are:

5% - he doesn't settle well and £20m was too high.

15% - he plays fairly well (15 goals/season?) and £20m was about right.

80% - he continues with, or even improves, his form and £20m was a steal.

That's why I hope Villa resist the calls to 'get it done asap' and hold out for £25m, ideally plus add-ons.

If Benteke does leave this summer for spuds, I suspect it will be for 'a fee believed to be in the region of £22m'. This will leave Villa fans rounding up to £25m+ (claiming 'there will be add-ons') and spuds fans claiming it was really less than £20m. What joy that will bring to VT! *roll eyes*

I am trying to ignore the fact that it is spurts or that they are so far ahead of us at the moment that we are losing our best players to them

Sure people say it happens all the time (mostly to us I would add),  but I sure as hell didn't expect it to happen under our new owner.

We used to lose our best players to the manure's and man citehs of this world,  teams competing for the title.  Now we lose them to teams who getting in the champions league would be seen as an achievement.

If I were to dwell on that I would get very angry very quickly

I think it is about time to accept he will be leaving for under 25m. For me, his departure can not come some enough. We need to move on.

Are you ITK?

I am trying to ignore the fact that it is spurts or that they are so far ahead of us at the moment that we are losing our best players to them

Sure people say it happens all the time (mostly to us I would add),  but I sure as hell didn't expect it to happen under our new owner.

We used to lose our best players to the manure's and man citehs of this world,  teams competing for the title.  Now we lose them to teams who getting in the champions league would be seen as an achievement.

If I were to dwell on that I would get very angry very quickly

To be fair, he is good enough for those kinds of clubs, but for some bizarre reason he wants to go to Spurs. Probably so he can be part of that Belgian London clique and get to play with all his little Belgian mates.

Edited by Mantis

Are you saying then that he won't go for at least 10 mil less than he's worth because a Spurs fan or London based horribly Spurs biased media says he will, or that we won't get Jermaine Jenas and a packet of ball bearings for him?

You mean to say that Lambert, Faulker and Lerner have got this................. and we may aswell have faith they'll do the right thing for the club?

You mean to say that we may actually unearth some more gems in the transfer market and end up actually better off than we were last season and not be completely reliant on one player....... a player that if injured for any significant length of time would mean relegation.

You mean to say Lambert and co probably saw this coming and prepared for the worst or at least are setting a plan B in motion now?

No. You misunderstood me. I think we're doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOMED. AHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Doomed.

This is where I disagree, we have set a price and it's up to Spurs to pay it. If the shoe was on the other foot, I really doubt Levy would back down TR or not. In principle alone, we should not back down until Aston Villa FC are happy with the deal.

Absolutely right SiT. Levy would be asking an outrageous amount (45/50 million} and he would stick like a leech to his bargaining position.

Yep agreed - the only thing I would say is I think he hit a rich vein of form finishing wise. It wouldn't surprise me to see that dip and him go through a spell of missing some big chances. He did that a bit in his first few months with us.

Overall though he will get more chances so he'll do well, overall in his career he'll do very well.

Has the perfect combination of scoring goals whilst also creating goals and problems for defences.

£25m is too cheap in my eyes. If I was boss I would be holding out for a cold £30m upfront or we'll keep him. Still be worth that next year.

Â