Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

good point really. If not belhanda, then maybe another 10-15 million player? Doesn`t have to be that expensive of course, but that opens doors for other players that have had good seasons in worse leagues. 

good point really. If not belhanda, then maybe another 10-15 million player? Doesn`t have to be that expensive of course, but that opens doors for other players that have had good seasons in worse leagues. 

If someone that Lambert wanted was available for £15m or less, I have no doubts he'd be backed tbh. If we assume we'll have in the region of £20m net to spend, then it's definitely not out of the realms of possibility that it's in our price range. I'm sure we'll pick up £5-6m minimum from player sales, possibly even as much as £12-13m, or £35-40m if we cashed in on Benteke. Add £20m to that and all of a sudden we've got close to £60m to spend on players. There's no way  we'd spend that even if we had it and we Lambert was told to go nuts. I don't think we NEED to spend more than £20m net tbh, not for where we are right now coupled with Lambert's transfer market nous. Maybe next summer that might be something that would be realistic, but for now it'd be silly

I have some doubts that he'd be backed with £15m for 1 player.

I think he's sufficiently proven himself to be backed with whatever he needs tbh. The fees won't be the issue, it'll be player age, wages and potential sell on that'll be going under the microscope for pretty much every transfer we're looking at - everything we didn't pay attention to previously

• Like 2

I think he's sufficiently proven himself to be backed with whatever he needs tbh. The fees won't be the issue, it'll be player age, wages and potential sell on that'll be going under the microscope for pretty much every transfer we're looking at - everything we didn't pay attention to previously

this.

If we could pull this signing off we really could be a force next year.

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier. With the Lowton/Bennett/Westwood-approach we know it can take time to get a hold of everything, and suddenly the season is 18 games in.

Belhanda is a player that I have heard of for a long time and he obviously has been linked with top clubs. The problem for me now is.... why haven't someone picked him up yet? It's not that Arsenal, Man U et al can sign every player in the world, but you know what I mean.

Edit: I want him at Villa Park badly by the way. His stats and the fact that he is an attacking midfielder with the ability to play around midfield is very welcomed!

He's 23 having come through the ranks at Montpellier. Ashley Young was bought by us at 22, and not snapped up by Man U until he was 26.

Why wasn't Benteke bought straight by one of the big boys?

Money is less of an issue for a Man U, Citeh and Chavski, so they can afford to buy the finished article and not have the necessarily take a gamble like clubs like ours.

Saying we shouldn't be looking at a talented player because one of the big clubs hasn't bought him is an odd thing to say imo.

Well, Young and Benteke were unknown quantities when we got them. I had never heard about Benteke and I bet 99% of all fans didn't either. Belhanda is a known quantity and has been for some years, especially with all the links to Arsenal last season and when he and Giroud tore up the French league.

Of course we'd pay £12-15 million for a player. Southampton paid that much for a player last season, it's not even near our transfer record of 18 million +. We're Aston Villa we can pay this much for players, I'm sure Randy would permit it if we are getting a good deal and a "top" player who is a bit of a coup. Some of you's need to rid yourselves of small time mentality.

If we could pull this signing off we really could be a force next year.

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier. With the Lowton/Bennett/Westwood-approach we know it can take time to get a hold of everything, and suddenly the season is 18 games in.

Belhanda is a player that I have heard of for a long time and he obviously has been linked with top clubs. The problem for me now is.... why haven't someone picked him up yet? It's not that Arsenal, Man U et al can sign every player in the world, but you know what I mean.

Edit: I want him at Villa Park badly by the way. His stats and the fact that he is an attacking midfielder with the ability to play around midfield is very welcomed!

He's 23 having come through the ranks at Montpellier. Ashley Young was bought by us at 22, and not snapped up by Man U until he was 26.

Why wasn't Benteke bought straight by one of the big boys?

Money is less of an issue for a Man U, Citeh and Chavski, so they can afford to buy the finished article and not have the necessarily take a gamble like clubs like ours.

Saying we shouldn't be looking at a talented player because one of the big clubs hasn't bought him is an odd thing to say imo.

Well, Young and Benteke were unknown quantities when we got them. I had never heard about Benteke and I bet 99% of all fans didn't either. Belhanda is a known quantity and has been for some years, especially with all the links to Arsenal last season and when he and Giroud tore up the French league.

Benteke maybe, but Ashley Young was a premier league player before we signed him.

• Like 1

Well, he had been a prem player with watford for about half a season. But he was known for several seasons before that when he broke through. He was less of a punt for us though as his potential was huge and quite a few clubs were interested.

If we were to sign a player today of the same stature he had as a young player coming through, it would be like us buying someone like Wilfried Zaha. Him and Young can have diving competitions next season!

Edited by R.I.C.O.

It depends how good a value that 12 to 15 million is going to be. (not comparing the players directly) but if you were offered Messi for say 18 to 20 millon you'd be mad not to buy him.

Lambert said last summer he was very uncomfortable paying £7m for one player (Benteke)

He won't be spending £15m on one player this summer.

He said he was uncomfortable spending it, but he still spent it in the end. 

You never know what might happen.

Ahem... we have no idea how big transfer budget Lambert has so there's no point saying "We can't afford 10-15 million player".

Partially true - but as Lambert has told us 'not to to expect any big signings' and 'those days are over'  - assume towards the lower end !

He means signings of the likes of Dunne, Collins, Downing, Milner, Bent. If Lambert sees a player for e.g. Belhanda, and he knew he'd benefit us, he would be prepared to go and get him. The problem for Villa has never been fees it's the wages.

We were all convinced that Lerner would have money to spend in January as well.

I think the owner has cut back the spending. We are still running at a big loss and Lerner is probably fed up with pumping his own cash into a bottomless pit.

Who was convinced? I certainly wasn't. He was not prepared to sanction the type of signings like Lescott we were calling for and rightfully so. Players like Belhanda, Okorre would not be available in Jan window. Lets remember that signing QPR made, hewas a CB, many on here were shouting for, he cost them 12million with 100k a week contract. He made one successful tackle in 4months.