Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

If we could pull this signing off we really could be a force next year.

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier. With the Lowton/Bennett/Westwood-approach we know it can take time to get a hold of everything, and suddenly the season is 18 games in.

Belhanda is a player that I have heard of for a long time and he obviously has been linked with top clubs. The problem for me now is.... why haven't someone picked him up yet? It's not that Arsenal, Man U et al can sign every player in the world, but you know what I mean.

Edit: I want him at Villa Park badly by the way. His stats and the fact that he is an attacking midfielder with the ability to play around midfield is very welcomed!

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier. With the Lowton/Bennett/Westwood-approach we know it can take time to get a hold of everything, and suddenly the season is 18 games in.

Belhanda is a player that I have heard of for a long time and he obviously has been linked with top clubs. The problem for me now is.... why haven't someone picked him up yet? It's not that Arsenal, Man U et al can sign every player in the world, but you know what I mean.

Edit: I want him at Villa Park badly by the way. His stats and the fact that he is an attacking midfielder with the ability to play around midfield is very welcomed!

He's 23 having come through the ranks at Montpellier. Ashley Young was bought by us at 22, and not snapped up by Man U until he was 26.

Why wasn't Benteke bought straight by one of the big boys?

Money is less of an issue for a Man U, Citeh and Chavski, so they can afford to buy the finished article and not have the necessarily take a gamble like clubs like ours.

Saying we shouldn't be looking at a talented player because one of the big clubs hasn't bought him is an odd thing to say imo.

• Like 1

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier.

Any money you like says we finish higher than 10th next season, with or without Belhanda.

It's pointless worrying about what other clubs are doing. Remember how many of us were quaking in our boots last year looking at QPR's signings!

• Like 1

A force in like finishing 10th?.......Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier. With the Lowton/Bennett/Westwood-approach we know it can take time to get a hold of everything, and suddenly the season is 18 games in.

FWIW, I'd rather be building on our squad than be in Fulham's position. Always though they were a soft touch.

Damn, I hoped there would have happened more by now, I just feel we should wrap this one up quick if we are in for him. Guess the same can be said for Okore but this man probably has more choices going for him.

A force in like finishing 10th? Any higher than that would be extremely difficult with the squad we have right now. Don't forget that the likes of Fulham are going to sign players as well, and odds are they will be signing players with more experience that will take the league easier.

Any money you like says we finish higher than 10th next season, with or without Belhanda.

It's pointless worrying about what other clubs are doing. Remember how many of us were quaking in our boots last year looking at QPR's signings!

They bought Samba for huge bucks and we bought a 'nobody' from Claremont Foot.

Hmmm... I'll take the nobody thank you very much.

Edited by StanBalaban

I liken this a bit to Southampton signing Gaston Ramirez for 12m last summer. He'd had a good season in Seria A, Liverpool and a few European clubs were interested but Southampton got him.

Ramirez went to Southampton for the money IIRC. That was the main reason he chose them over anyone else and he said as much himself when he joined but I seriously doubt we'll be breaking the new wage structure this soon for Belhanda.

If he did I think he'd come here to develop as a player and put himself in the the shop window of the PL. It still doesn't seem particularly likely to me though.

Even though they won in 2012, Montpellier are not a big club by French standards at all. Given the French league wasn't flushed with cash before PSG and Monaco came along, I doubt he's even earning 20k a week.

Tbf Samba was pretty good minus a couple games and surely couldve helped our defense. I think they're bigger problems were last summer

Tbf Samba was pretty good minus a couple games and surely couldve helped our defense. I think they're bigger problems were last summer

For 100,000 per week? You are having a laugh.

Samba was supposed to have experience. I ( and Lambert agrees ) say **** experience. 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 1

For 100,000 per week? You are having a laugh.

Samba was supposed to have experience. I ( and Lambert agrees ) say **** experience.

Oh I agree not at that wage. And I don't value experience at all. But he is a very good center back and is almost unbeatable in the air

Samba was literally the only guy that stopped benteke in the air this season.

Yes he won the aerial battles but couldn't prevent us from winning though.

I like Samba as a CD, he's big, strong and good in the air but he's not a £100k a week player, let alone the £12m to sign him.

Samba was literally the only guy that stopped benteke in the air this season.

Exactly and he's a huge weapon off set pieces. He wasn't fit when he came back from Russia and clearly wasn't worth the price, but I feel he's a lot better than people give credit for

I can't see us signing him. This would be the first European player to sign that people have actually heard of, also wouldn't this fall into the 'no major' signings that lambert warned us about?

Whether or not he was planning major signings, Lambert was never going to come out and tell the world about it. All that does is confirm we have money to spend. Much, much better to stick to the line that we'll be looking for younger players from lower leagues, and if something crops up in a more "glamourous" price range, in we pop with a bid if he wants the player. How good a price do you reckon we'd get on lower league players based on how the signings last summer did, if we were talking about having the money to bring in big names?

• Like 1