Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

His shooting is getting better and, lets face it, we know he can hit them so it will come as he settles into the league. I've seen some decent crosses and passes too in his more recent performances. Like the team, the trend is towards continual improvement.

Only his touch concerns me - it's overly heavy and he turned over a lot of ball in that first half vs WBA.

He has a lot to build on is the thing that makes me optimistic. His decision making and shooting has been dreadful, obviously, but when he takes on a player one on one, he can easily craft out space to take the shot on either side. He has such quick feet, and if he eventually begins to make the right decisions, he should be able to get to the goal line quite easily because of the quickness. 

I think if he can get his decisions right he's going to be almost unstoppable on the wing because the full back literally won't be able to even lean to one side due to his twofootedness, it'll be a complete surprise.  

However, this is all contingent on Tonev actually striking a few shots well (Atomic goal, right?) and much improving his decisions, two things we haven't seen but are certainly possible. 

I actually see a promising player within Tonev and won't write him off just yet.

I got the impression we wanted to sign him alongside Popov to help him/them settle in better - hopefully the Popov deal (if rumours are to be believed) will go through in January and they can help each other on and off the pitch.

• Like 3

Thing is, his shooting isn't even that good. Someone like Frank Lampard is good at shooting because he hits the target every time and forces the keeper into a save. Half of Tonev's shots are total mishits, and 70% of the time there's a better ball on.

Quite literally a very hit and miss player, as a wildcard from the bench he's alright but shouldn't be starting - not until he can learn to make some better decisions. 

Seriously how can you compare a young player new to the league, who is obviously trying too hard to score a wonder goal, to a seasoned pro like lampard?? crazy stuff.

You just need to look at the keepers face when he saved Tonevs shot in the first half, he has got immense power in them. Anyone who plays will know when you line up a screamer, there's that split second you think about too much and hit a duff shot.

He has bags of energy and pace, can cross a ball and shoot with either foot.

Will only get better for me. I've seen enough. Needs to settle into the league, and just mature a little with his decision making.

• Like 1

The problem with his shooting is that it either goes really strong up in the goal .. or mostly out of the net .. unlike lets say Benteke or even Gabby .. they arent great shooters but tgey try to target the goal more than its strength .. they keep it simple ..

He has some attributes, tricky, two footed, pretty fast.

Certainly one we need to withhold judgement on, as he could be a useful player if the coaches can iron out some of his deficiencies.

However, at the moment, I think he should only be starting as a sub until his all round game improves, if, indeed, it ever does. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd upset everyone by giving him another chance today.

Right up front, more or less alongside Kozak.

Kozak's movement isn't all that and Tonev can drop off, go both ways, and just cause a bit of trouble.

I'm convinced he'll make it because aside from often trying to hit everything too hard (crosses as well as shots), he's technically quite good. First touch is tidy, and he can play off either foot. Weimann's failure to control simple passes has annoyed me a lot more than Tonev's shots this season.

Those ridiculous shots will make sure we don't dare go above 40% possession as well.

Edited by Tomaszk

Im out on my own with this one as all my mates think he is poor. I think he has something that you cant train and he is going to be quality. Just remember Zidane wasnt extremely fast and didnt come good to around 24-25. Not that he will be that good but just making a point.

• Like 2

Im out on my own with this one as all my mates think he is poor. I think he has something that you cant train and he is going to be quality.

You wouldn't want to bloody train what he has shown on the pitch so far.

Â