Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

How will a Greek pudding save you from being attacked?

A surprise rendition of 'Forever and ever' might distract the assailants.

abigails-party.gif

The point he is trying to make (quite poorly) is that he and some of his members fear deadly reprisal attacks for insulting Islam so they wear balaclavas.

I see. And there was me thinking it was because they were throwing bottles at the police.

What sane human being hacks someone's head off with a machete?

The article linked above by LondonLax has a woman saying that I couldn't see the man's face but I could see no evidence that suggested someone had tried to cut off his head.

surely if she couldn't see his face that meant they had :P

Pedant  /  Turkish   / end of Pedant

I was literally just about to post 'Isn't Baklava Turkish?' :D

Good piece here by Glenn Greenwald on what we mean by terrorism.

It is very hard to escape the conclusion that, operationally, the term has no real definition at this point beyond "violence engaged in by Muslims in retaliation against western violence toward Muslims".

It is very hard to escape the conclusion that, operationally, the term has no real definition at this point beyond "violence engaged in by Muslims in retaliation against western violence toward Muslims".

I hadn't realised the IRA and ETA were Muslim. 

Edited by LondonLax

Oh no no no Mr H - def Greek - I often eat it after a hearty Greek meal. Many countries lay claim to it's origin TBF

Yes, the claim goes too far.  We do use the term to mean some acts committed by non-Muslims.  But I do think usage is changing, and narrowing, and moving in the direction Greenwald discusses.

Another point he makes is that the usage of the word increasingly excludes acts committed by the West or by people supported by the West, which would otherwise fit the description of acts of violence intended to cause fear and terror in civilian populations.  Perhaps it was always a propaganda term rather than a descriptive one.

• Like 2

Oh no no no Mr H - def Greek - I often eat it after a hearty Greek meal. Many countries lay claim to it's origin TBF

it's def Turkish  ...don't make me come after you with wiki :)

Yes, the claim goes too far.  We do use the term to mean some acts committed by non-Muslims.  But I do think usage is changing, and narrowing, and moving in the direction Greenwald discusses.

Another point he makes is that the usage of the word increasingly excludes acts committed by the West or by people supported by the West, which would otherwise fit the description of acts of violence intended to cause fear and terror in civilian populations.  Perhaps it was always a propaganda term rather than a descriptive one.

It's always been a propaganda term. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter as the old saying goes. 

Edited by LondonLax

Maybe the change in usage is an American thing. If they start calling acts committed by Western people, "terrorism", they'd have to admit that the USA was funding terrorism through the IRA.

That would go against their "War on Terror" propaganda and their Police of the World title.

I don't think there's been a recent notable change in the usage of the term terrorism.

Any change in its usage happened years ago - its basis is born of the reign of terror in France, but subsequently its usage regarding state terror changed (wrongly) and became mosty used regarding non state actors. Its usage as a propaganda term is not its original use either - but that even happened decades ago. The word describes a methodology, a tactic.

The idea it's somehow sinisterly been acquisitioned to be solely associated with Islam is tantamount to swivel eyed lunacy. We've largely only encountered 'Islamic' terror in recent years, unsurprisingly we thusly use the term terrorism with an Islamic tincture target more than we do any other association. Look at Norway in recent years - that was a terror attack, is described as such, and sure as **** wasn't Islamic in nature. When Islamic terror goes away perhaps we'll talk of the sinister move to define the term as only relating to Scandiwegian terrorism. Or organic free range terrorism.

• Like 1

The idea it's somehow sinisterly been acquisitioned to be solely associated with Islam is tantamount to swivel eyed lunacy.

I take it you didn't read the article before posting this, then.  Shame.  It's actually quite thoughtful.

Â