Ratings and Reactions: Man Utd 3-0 Villa

limpid

Funny how no articles about the game this morning mention a single one of the goals being offside.

Not unexpected, I suppose. We wouldn't have got anything from that game anyway, but noone wants to spoil Manchester United's special day...Eugh.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

This was only ever a free shot at the coconut shy that we've got exactly what we expected from. There were 3 games left for us to confirm our Premier League status on Sunday evening, on Tuesday morning there are still 3 games left. 

Predictable result, the only saving grace for me was based on the first 30 minutes it could have been a cricket score.

It does not matter whether VP's goals were offside or not you just have to watch the build up to them to realise the the gulf in class / confidence / skill / tactics / experience / winning mentality (delete as appropriate). At the moment we are not even a middle ranking Premier League team. We are seen as the whipping boys of the division just a shade better than QPR and Reading so what did we really expect to happen? 

OK Man U are a bit special at the moment but the gulf in class was embarrassing. We are a million miles away from giving them a decent game. Personally I think much of it lies in our mental attitude. We were beaten before we stepped on the pitch last night in the same way I knew we would never hang onto a two goal lead at Villa Park.

Expected, so not really bothered to be honest.

Only saw the first half, but it felt like we were defending a 1 goal lead in the 92nd minute, but for 45 minutes!

We were always going to lose this, especially with City losing at the weekend.

Hopefully it hasn't knocked the players' confidence and we can go into the Sunderland game going for a win.

I tell you what boys and girls, you've not lived until you've been stood at the coffee machine at work, and heard two Man Yoo fans reliving RVP's second goal in think North East accents. I bet they nearly knocked their TV remote controls, off their arm chairs!

Had hoped we would make a decent fist of it but again it was not to be.

Our team was already beaten before it set foot on the pitch.

Its a mentality issue within the club and until that changes we will generally be second best to Man U.

Its a mentality issue within the club and until that changes we will generally be second best to Man U.

Think it is more so the fact that they are ahead of us financially, tactically, managerially etc etc. Just as they are ahead of every other team in the league, hence them winning the league.

I assume if the players sorted this mentality issue, we would be better than Man United, yes? Lol.

Think it is more so the fact that they are ahead of us financially, tactically, managerially etc etc. Just as they are ahead of every other team in the league, hence them winning the league.

I assume if the players sorted this mentality issue, we would be better than Man United, yes? Lol.

I guess 'Big Sam' at West Ham might have something to say about that and your reply is pretty ironic with the issue raised in my previous post.

Edited by Morpheus

To be fair, I'm not so much angered by offsides because of the defeat. I'm more upset because it affects our goal difference, 2 of the 3 offside goals could now send us down. I don't care if you give the attacker the benefit of doubt. When its marginal and the linesman calls it, its a 'good call'. There is no grey area, you're either offside or onside and all 3 of the goals were offside.

Its impossible to judge Lambo's tactics yesterday as we never got to implement them fully. The first goal was blatantly offside, and the linesman can have no excuse for that. You cannot account for that, although the defending could've been better to the lead up of the goal, it shouldn't of counted and that goal changed the whole complexion of the game. Between the 2 mins to 12 mins I believe we looked really bright on the counter(Benteke missing a golden chance), but we were getting battered defensively. Then RvP just pulls out an absolute worldie. Seriously you cannot defend that goal(despite being offside), but it was a fantastic goal. Than we went in search for the a way back in and Utd just picked us off on the counter.

Looking ahead to Sunderland, I think we should, go back to the 4-3-3, take off Delph and N'Zogbia and bring in either El Ahamdi, Bannan or Sylla. I think we can boss possession against Sunderland, especially at home, and control the game. Also why is Delph playing? He's very uninspiring in possession, does very little in the way of creativity. Barely wins a tackle. Gets dominated more often then not. Gives away silly brainless fouls. He occasionally goes on a run where he'll either do a few step overs, cut back and pass it backwards, or do a Ronaldo chop and get tackled.    

I guess 'Big Sam' at West Ham might have something to say about that and your reply is pretty ironic with the issue raised in my previous post.

Are you suggesting West Ham are better than Man U because they beat them? Better yet, are you actually suggesting that because West Ham beat them, we should have?

I think the players would have gone out there wanting to win the game, I'm sure every team does against United, but when they get onto the pitch with the players they have it is a regular occurrence that the opposing team get outplayed.

West Ham drew their game with Man U 2-2.

Look at the context of my post which referred to mentality and not whether one team is better than the other.

With the right mentality and tactics you can get a decent result against Man U but our record against them would suggest that we have had neither on a consistent basis for some considerable time. 

Different class.

I even half sat up when RVP let that second one fly, it was that good. And we can argue the offside (or not) decisions all day long, but the fact remains there is a yawning chasm between where we are now and where we want to be. There was little, if any, cohesion at the back and I think Westwood lookied seriously overawed by the occasion last night.

Plus points, there were few. Weimann and Lowton were industrious and Tekkers should have finished that first half chance, but apart from that it was pretty much a matter of the old 'rabbits in headlights' syndrome.

I don't think it will affect how we approach the next couple of games, but (if we stay up) there is a phenomenal amount of work to be done in the summer.

It doesnt matter if the goals were offside, they could have scored at will when they were bothered yesterday.

Just glad we kept it to 3 and had a confidence boosting shut out in the second half.

I don't understand all this "So what if it was offside" business. The fact is, the goals WERE offside.

Yes, Man Utd probably would have scored anyway. Yes, they took their foot off the gas when the game was already won at 3-0. But the goals were offside, so what's wrong with discussing/ moaning about it?

El Mohamadi

Who?

Al Ahmadi

Who?

The goals may have been offside but they weren't focused on last night by pundits and people aren't talking about them (apart from us) because they were pretty marginal. The second one particularly there was hardly anything in it.

Better we focus on the shocking defending attached to the goals.

Nobody expected anything from this game, we drew the second half which is crumb to cling to. It's time to focus on next week.

I don't understand what goes through Lambert's head sometimes, as much as I like the guy.

Playing with 4 forward players at Old Trafford?

It was glaringly obvious that NZogbia should have been swapped out for someone with the ability to sit deep alongside Westwood.

Also, our defense has all the turning capabilities of Lisa Riley in a phone box, so why play such a high line? Terrible tactics.

Â