Ratings and Reactions: Man Utd 3-0 Villa

limpid

"Bring back Sylla, play a tight 4-3-3 and we will be able to contain them and frustrate them for long periods. We'll still make a few chances, have to take one or two of them."

That's what I posted before the game. We simply had no chance the way we were set-up tonight. Rooney, Valencia, Kagawa, too much time, too much space. Awful tactics from Lambert. 

About the offsides.

Yes they were marginal, and yes it's difficult to expect a person to spot them at full speed.

But, that's what the linesmen are for.

Every week, they're desperate to flag for anything that even slightly resembles offside and you see plenty of marginal or even level decisions given as offside. 

Tonight the one linesman allowed them to score 3 offside goals. I'm not claiming that he's either a Utd fan or is intentionally biased, just that he's too scared of making a decision against Utd due to the culture of fear that Alex Ferguson has instilled in all of the officials.

Man Utd are incredible cheats gamesmen. Every time they get some pressure on the ball, they fall over and smother the ball, getting a free kick pretty much every time from over-sympathetic referees.

Yet every time they're trying to win the ball from someone else, they're very physical but the opposing player knows they can't go down easy as they won't get the decision.

Personally, I can't wait for Alex Ferguson (I refuse to call him Sir as the knighthood was a farce) to just leave us all alone in whatever way that happens. Until that happens we'll never win another game against United as the odds are so stacked in their favour before a ball is even kicked.

The game tonight. I thought it would be like the 2nd half all game. I didn't reckon on our defence being half-asleep for 15 minutes and 3 offside goals being allowed. But I shouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

Bit disgusted we didn't even make them break sweat

This is why I have no affinity to any of this team or manager

were you saying the same thing when we beat liverpool 3-1?

34 games in, think its fair to say that was a freak result

**** me, 2 of the offsides were close but STILL **** OFFSIDE, the first goal, after 90 seconds wasn't even marginal, valencia was a good 2 yards offside with a lino looking right at it. Completely **** up our entire game plan. Look at our bench tonight and tell me who we should of played that would have evened things up? Sylla for zog? Mayby but then we play 4411 without any shape at all and we still have got dicked.

The issue for me is we are too loose in the middle. You can't stand off players like Carrick and Kagawa or last week Berbatov without causing issues. We need to be In the faces of the opposition. We must be the softest team to play against.

A bit meh about tonights result.  We all probably knew what was going to happen. I mean the website gave it the big 'we arent here to make up the numbers' but at present we are. United are not miles ahead of us, they are lightyears ahead of us. 1993 at start of  1st season of premier league- Villa 7 titles. United 7 titles. 2013- United 20. Villa 7. Lets move on to Sunderland, but can any of us see a clean sheet before the end of season?!

Well the positives to take from that:

- like someone said, would have taken -1 GD this weekend in comparison to Wigan (hopefully Spurs put a few past them next)

- 2nd half we were comfortable in possession (I know manure stepped off the gas)

- saved a bit of pride in 2nd half, had more possession than them 2nd half and damage limitation was needed going into Sunderland, 6-0 would of messed us up

- no injuries to anyone important (Bennett was back to his worst)

- El Ahmadi actually played well

All 3 goals were offside, ive had a few beers but im sure the replays confirmed this.

Evra should have been sent off already booked and went in high on someone I cant remember. But you'll never get those decisions at Old Trafford. Not bemoaning the result though, we were always gonna lose to a scoreline like this, its just little things you notice how nothing went our way again.

Anyway, on to the next. we go again, big game on the horizon. Lambert HAS to get his tactics spot on or its shitty bum time

The issue for me is we are too loose in the middle. You can't stand off players like Carrick and Kagawa or last week Berbatov without causing issues. We need to be In the faces of the opposition. We must be the softest team to play against.

We are soft as shit in midfield no doubt about that. If we stay up I'd like to go after Stephane Mbia at QPR. 

About the offsides.

Yes they were marginal, and yes it's difficult to expect a person to spot them at full speed.

But, that's what the linesmen are for.

Every week, they're desperate to flag for anything that even slightly resembles offside and you see plenty of marginal or even level decisions given as offside. 

Tonight the one linesman allowed them to score 3 offside goals. I'm not claiming that he's either a Utd fan or is intentionally biased, just that he's too scared of making a decision against Utd due to the culture of fear that Alex Ferguson has instilled in all of the officials.

Man Utd are incredible cheats gamesmen. Every time they get some pressure on the ball, they fall over and smother the ball, getting a free kick pretty much every time from over-sympathetic referees.

Yet every time they're trying to win the ball from someone else, they're very physical but the opposing player knows they can't go down easy as they won't get the decision.

Personally, I can't wait for Alex Ferguson (I refuse to call him Sir as the knighthood was a farce) to just leave us all alone in whatever way that happens. Until that happens we'll never win another game against United as the odds are so stacked in their favour before a ball is even kicked.

The game tonight. I thought it would be like the 2nd half all game. I didn't reckon on our defence being half-asleep for 15 minutes and 3 offside goals being allowed. But I shouldn't be surprised.

Rafael had studs up on Gabby at about 20minutes. Guaranteed free kick if it was the other way. Tonight was a farce and it wasn't really our fault. Still, like someone else said, between Villa playing United and Wigan playing West Ham and us only losing -1GD, this has gone ok. 

Must say that 3-1 against Liverpool has been working overtime tonight. Is that really all there is in defence of this below par team? It was 69-31 possession to Liverpool and they wasted 17 shots on goal. It was only utter complacency that stopped Liverpool from sweeping us aside in the first half just like United did tonight.

• Like 1

It's all well and good saying the goals were offside or that we played better in the second half. 

It ignores that United were 3-0 up after 33 minutes, they had 60 minutes left. If they weren't already 3-0 up or if goal difference mattered to them (as it did last year) they wouldn't have let their intensity dip as it did. Even if all 3 goals had been ruled out we would still have lost comfortably. 

• Like 1

Can't disagree with that. I think if we had played Sylla or El Ahmedi from the start instead of N'zog it would have been a very different game. As it was Westwood and Delph were the only ones in the center and they also had to provide cover at times for the fullbacks when Weimann and Gabby were too far up the field. 3 CMs, like we had against Reading and in the first half against QPR would have made us much more solid. 

Expected result, could of been more but it wasn't. Could say all three goals were offside, but take nothing away from RVP for the second, you won't be seeing someone like Graham or Sessegnon doing that any time soon, but Villa need to learn how to defend long balls, corners now this. Plus Bennett can **** off back to Boro

Blaming offsides is like Liverpool blaming FA conspiracies for Suarez' impending doom. They were all marginal offsides, but none of them were wrong. OK, maybe the third one which was slightly easier for the linesman to see - but also that one was fractional and that is not how the offside-rule is dictated. If he waved the flag he wouldn't have been sure about it, it would be impossible - and doubts are supposed to be in the favour of the attacking team. Sure, we were on the wrong end of three decisions but there is a reason why this team got them. No, not because Fergie owns every referee but because they are the best attacking team and because they exploit the attacking game the best. And also because we have the worst defence in the league. Great defenders with a decent setup will make every player stay offside before and after the ball is played, thus making it impossible for the linesman to do a mistake. I am not going to waste any energy on the linesman because frankly, he didn't do anything disasterous. Being 10 yards offside is not the same as being half a foot offside, and that is how it should be. Just remember that the next time we score a goal against Sunderland with Benteke being half a foot in front of their defensive line :) It has happened this season for us and nobody filed a complaint to the FA back then.

As for the game, they were always going to hammer us. They have 22 players better than us, not a single one of our players would get into their reserves except for Benteke and they would win the title if they beat ut. 3-0 could have been 10-0 if they really wanted to, luckily they didn't and we have a fighting chance of beating Wigan in terms of GD. It's -4 now, could be 0 next weekend if things go our way. United were without Vidic, Ferdinand, Young, Nani, Hernandez etc, and especially the two latter could have come on and done us harm in the second half.

To beat United or take a point at Old Trafford you have to get them after a CL-match or when they are playing an important game the next week or else it's difficult. Not being defeatist, but that is how it is when they are at their best. This game was about damage control and then go on to beat Sunderland, mission back on track. We got no injuries tonight I think, at least not to Benteke which is fantastic news in itself.

As for ratings:

Everyone - 5

Do I care? Not a single bit, it's all about beating Sunderland now. This is not a normal season for us anymore where we talk about 6th, 8th or 14th. It's about surviving and not falling into the abyss.

Bit disgusted we didn't even make them break sweat

This is why I have no affinity to any of this team or manager

In that case please stop posting.

Why? This is my club as much as yours

Â