Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Hopefully signing a new CB will see Clark move into a more central midfield role, think he would be much better there

That's from the MON school of player deployment. No, let's hope Lambert uses midfielders for midfield roles.

But Clark is much better suited to midfield rather than defence as he is good with the ball at his feet and is very composed, but is liable to the odd mistake which is much less punishable in midfield. It's not the MON school of player development either, that's not playing youth players when needed, Clark has been played in midfield by both Houllier and McLeish IIRC and looked competent.

Barry started out as CB, he became our nailed central midfielder for about 7-8 years. Bale was a LB and almost sold by spurs 'cause he wasn't very good there, he's now one of the best players in the world on the left wing/behind the striker. Henry started out as a winger and became the best striker of his generation. I don't think Clark is in the same league as these players, but they are examples that mean just because you start your career in one position it doesn't mean it's your best position.

Clark would be less of liability in midfield - however that alone isn't enough to justify him a place in a midfield first 11. We have better options in midfield - we shouldn't be shuffling the team around to accomdate a guy who hasn't cut it it at CB.

Agreed KSV, defence is the worst position in the PL for blooding youngsters as the standard is so high, even the smallest mistake gets punished, and that can be the difference between 3 points and 1 or worse - its suicide to go all season with youngsters, that was most of our problem last year (as well as the young and inexperienced midfield and young and inexperienced forward line). Natural ability as a defender can only take you so far because experience counts for so much at the back.

Agreed KSV, defence is the worst position in the PL for blooding youngsters as the standard is so high, even the smallest mistake gets punished, and that can be the difference between 3 points and 1 or worse - its suicide to go all season with youngsters, that was most of our problem last year (as well as the young and inexperienced midfield and young and inexperienced forward line). Natural ability as a defender can only take you so far because experience counts for so much at the back.

I will welcome more bodies @ CB - Although what you say above is very true - I would prefer another old head there.

Do we have anymore on this other than a twitter rumour - people are talking like its almost done, when it hasn't even hit the mainstream press ?

Kendrick hinted at the start of the window that there would be a surprise departure - I am hoping this lad isn't coming in for Vlaar. (probably not) - There were rumours that Bannan was of the blackburn yesterday - maybe that has freed up the wages up for this new CB.

well it was reported in a few places it would be busy.. then quiet.. get few off the wage bill and then a late flurry of signings. were not done yet. im expecting a CB and an AM.

Capuano retweeted a guy saying:

"can I have a retweet please .. My son is a defender like you .. come to England #avfc #utv"

I think this is looking pretty certain. Bannan out of the door too.

1. good morning to everyone especially to English friends who have started following me!

Expand
    1. good morning to everyone especially to English friends who have started following me!

2. @rsmiffy2009 yet nothing concrete but I'd love to! the dream is related to that!

• Like 1

No harm in having another centre back, no harm at all. It's our worst area, by a distance, and if we can pick up a squad player on small wages then there really isn't any harm in this. 

Bearing in mind that

1) Vlaar is injury prone.

2) Okore is unproven & currently out with an injury.

3) Baker will pick up a few suspensions

4) Clark... well Clark just isn't very good.

Then we definitely have room for another option in there.

as nobody seems to have mentioned. Pescara conceded 84 goals last season. Will he be that big an improvement

Different team and different players, don't think you can blame one person for a whole poor defensive showing..

Indeed - we conceded a hell of a lot of goals, yet we also rated Guzan as one of the best performing 'keepers in the Premiership.

• Like 1

as nobody seems to have mentioned. Pescara conceded 84 goals last season. Will he be that big an improvement

Different team and different players, don't think you can blame one person for a whole poor defensive showing..

Yeah, we conceded loads last season it doesn't make Guzan a bad keeper.

Pescara puched above their weight because of Zeman, who although he didn't click at Roma (he's getting old now) worked absolute miracles at pescara with zero cash and a squad full of kids. Once he got them into serie A he switched to Roma, he had unfinished business there really but too much water had gone under the bridge unfortunately. Even with Zeman they would have struggled, without him they were doomed.

• Like 1