Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Ashley Young is probably on about 80K per week, there is no way he's coming back here.

More likely to be 120-150k per week. He moved for big money and was a regular in the England team wouldn't be on 80k

I would be surprised if Young is on more than £80-90k a week, I think people do tend to exaggerate how much players earn because of the absurdly ridiculous amounts the very top players get. Most top team will only pay £100k+ if they are confident they will be a guaranteed starter and going to be an integral part of the team. I would imagine the top teams in England (bar City and Chelsea) only have two or three players on £100k+. I mean look at Arsenal who almost lost Walcott, one of there most important and best players, on a free transfer as they weren't willing to cough £100k per week. At Villa I'd imagine Young was on somewhere between £50-60k, was offered ~£70k to stay and offered ~£80-90k at Utd.

Ashley Young is probably on about 80K per week, there is no way he's coming back here.

More likely to be 120-150k per week. He moved for big money and was a regular in the England team wouldn't be on 80k

I would be surprised if Young is on more than £80-90k a week, I think people do tend to exaggerate how much players earn because of the absurdly ridiculous amounts the very top players get. Most top team will only pay £100k+ if they are confident they will be a guaranteed starter and going to be an integral part of the team. I would imagine the top teams in England (bar City and Chelsea) only have two or three players on £100k+. I mean look at Arsenal who almost lost Walcott, one of there most important and best players, on a free transfer as they weren't willing to cough £100k per week. At Villa I'd imagine Young was on somewhere between £50-60k, was offered ~£70k to stay and offered ~£80-90k at Utd.

I just remember it going round in the press at the time of the move that he was getting a figure in the 100k+ region. He won't be coming back here anyway, if all the bomb squad leave who will be our highest earner? 

My dad was saying something earlier about we've put a bid in for someone and it was on sky sports news?

Was it that Capuano chap? and we've confirmed that bs? 

Or was it someone else? 

To be honest, I don't ever remember him being crap for us.

If Lambert did want him, which I doubt, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a pay cut if he wants to get into the England squad for next Summer.

He's 28 though now and it just isn't going to happen.

Let me remind you he play up front with Carew and gabby was on the wing for about 4 months and O'Neill finally clicked that he'd have more joy if he switched the two and I was getting slatted for saying it, and was being told how could I possibly know more than MoN and all this shite!

When was that?

I remember young playing behind Carew for a few games when they both first joined but he seemed to go out wide pretty quickly after that.

To be honest, I don't ever remember him being crap for us.

If Lambert did want him, which I doubt, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a pay cut if he wants to get into the England squad for next Summer.

He's 28 though now and it just isn't going to happen.

Let me remind you he play up front with Carew and gabby was on the wing for about 4 months and O'Neill finally clicked that he'd have more joy if he switched the two and I was getting slatted for saying it, and was being told how could I possibly know more than MoN and all this shite!

When was that?

I remember young playing behind Carew for a few games when they both first joined but he seemed to go out wide pretty quickly after that.

Right when he first joined only moved him out at the end of the season and he tore some one apart off the top of my head think it was himself and Berger did the damage against Sheffield United.

I remember him playing up front too and wondering why, while people said "but he played there for Watford". In fairness to Young he probably could have performed admirably at centre back in that Watford side. He was a stopgap up front for us but didn't pull up any trees.

Where has all this ashley young talk come from - just speculating or a link somewhere?

I would love to have him back but I really can't see it happening.

Idle brain-farting :)

I'd rather find the next Young to be honest. There's plenty of tricky flair players out there who are still really raw. When Young first joined he was really raw and it was exciting because he was so unpredictable. 

I did really like Young as a player... but that ship has sailed now. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I'd rather find the next Young to be honest. There's plenty of tricky flair players out there who are still really raw. When Young first joined he was really raw and it was exciting because he was so unpredictable. 

I did really like Young as a player... but that ship has sailed now. 

Think Lambert would agree. Young is not the hungry profile that he is looking for.

For what it is worth - he was great in his first 1/2 seasons and for me slowly declined after that. Probably still better than most of what we have but he really didn't give a f**k about us in his last season which has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

LOL in his last season for us he scored 9 goals and had 15 assists, in terms of output it was one of his best seasons for us, so much for not giving a '****'.

Honestly you get some absolute garbage written on here about former players who did well for us. The fact is Young is a quality player and would massively improve our attack.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

LOL in his last season for us he scored 9 goals and had 15 assists, in terms of output it was one of his best seasons for us, so much for not giving a '****'.

Honestly you get some absolute garbage written on here about former players who did well for us. The fact is Young is a quality player and would massively improve our attack.

Yeah I remember his last season as being less 'hollywood' than his first, but much more mature, more consistent and more effective. Basically a better player. He was never going to match the individual highs including 'that' goal and finish against Everton but overall I'd say his 2nd season confirmed him as being a potential Man U player.

Yeah I remember his last season as being less 'hollywood' than his first, but much more mature, more consistent and more effective. Basically a better player. He was never going to match the individual highs including 'that' goal and finish against Everton but overall I'd say his 2nd season confirmed him as being a potential Man U player.

Ha I didn't realise his output was quite that high. Hands up! Point taken.

I did say he was better than most of what we have.

However I just remember that last season under Houllier when we were in the relegation fight for much of it and there was a general air that most of players weren't that bothered if we went down or not.

I remember him playing centrally and always had the feeling he was playing for himself rather than the team, his move to Utd no doubt having been sorted some time previously.

Of course he is a top player but I am just saying I wasn't left with fond feelings for him, like Jimmy or Barry. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it is.

Although you're right that there was that general air of not caring that season, but Young was one of the only players who did seem to try IMO. Downing was also in that group, so maybe they were playing for themselves rather than the club, but at least they still gave 100%

Plus, I don't get this love for Milner over the way he left, he dragged it out by not putting in a transfer request and still got to keep his "Loyalty" bonus, meaning he squeezed even more money out the club, whereas Downing and Benteke (if he'd left) would've foregone that bonus to get the situation sorted, the difference is Downing acted as dick before he handed it in so people disliked him anyway. Milner has no love for the club and I see no reason why the club and it's fans should love him so much when he turned his back on us for money just like the rest.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

You certainly do.apparently his free kicks and corners were awful.

Yeh course they were.they were only his bloody trademark for the years he played for us