Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Oh bugger. Heard that was the date suggested last night and have avoided the news since.

Ok.... but the point stands. There WILL be a **** at some point at her funeral.

Politicians want a state funeral...

That's fine but let the family pay for it please i don't want any of our tax payers money being spent on it

No they don't - and she won't be getting one (not that she wanted one)

It will be the same as the Queen Mum's or Di.

(except with more arrests, booing and prison sentences)

The Met will have to be on their game next thursday. (Or they could just make it up and randomly blame Scousers for old times sake.)

Sky News

Some Tory MPs have expressed their disappointment that the 87-year-old has not been granted a state funeral - even though such a ceremony would be against her own wishes

Peter Bone, MP for Wellingborough, said she should have "the highest kind of funeral that can be allowed".

"I would have thought a state funeral would be very appropriate. She was the first female prime minister. She was also the greatest peacetime prime minister we ever had," he told the Daily Mail.

However, it is understood she did not want to lie in state, or attract controversy, and thought a fly-past would be a waste of money.

I hope her wishes are granted

Edited by AshVilla

Well how about the offensive  jokes go in the joke thread where there is a warning note attached  , there is a guideline for that

How about those that aren't dead ? For Posters  to say I wish people's family members dead is disgusting , this isn't North Korea where the sins of the family carry a life sentence , even if the offspring aern't exactly the nicest people you'll ever meet

Some of the comments on here are frankly disgusting , nobody is forcing people to mourn Thatcher  , nobody is asking them to forgive her , but personally i treat people I meet in life with a certain level of decency and respect  , clearly a lot of people aren't capable of it  .... we had a piss on Thatchers grave link FFS  ...

I think the mods let their personal feelings get in the way in this thread and were found drunk at the wheel   , hardly VT finest moment

I think you are way over-sensitive.

Virtually every RIP thread has had jokes about the deceased.   Thats what happens on the internet.

Look at the Michael Jackson thread, Jimmy Saville thread, etc...     did you complain about those? they were much much worse.

this Thatcher thread has been politically-correct PG-rated compared to other threads. 

I think you're missing my point slightly

I've said all the way through I expected some anti Thatcher sentiment , no problem with that , she a divisive sort of figure in life after all

the vile and bile comments are aimed at people wishing her children dead and wishing the IRA had blown her up   .. that is inexcusable imo

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I didn't live in Egnland during her reign and I was too young to really understand, or care about, what she did in those years. I'm sure she did some really bad things to some and some really good things for some. I won't condemn anyone celebrating her death as I don't know their feelings or have their experiences when it comes to Thatcher. But I have to admit that I feel it a bit strange to celebrate someones death, but again, I wasn't there. But I didn't celebrate Olof Palme's death in '86, and today I have full respect for him even if I'm the other line of the political scale. And he too divided his nation into two camps. Anyway, I don't mind the jokes. She's not immune against them and she shouldn't be. Just like Michael Jackson and all the other celebrities who's died recently, she can take her fair share of those jokes. But I find it quite awkward to read that some wishes her relatives to die too. Without knowing them and as it seems, not even be affected of all their wrongs they've been accused of. What's that all about? Why wish them dead? If so we can wish death on every single human in the world, I guess.

As said, I don't know much of what she did, and what she did never affected me so I don't judge any hatred against her. For me she was a strong leader. A really strong leader. And a woman at that. I know how hard it is for women to reach power or any kind of status at all. To do that at that time meant she was a really strong woman and character, and she's paved the way for many women after that. For that I admire her, never mind the bad things she might've done. I take them aside when I say this. I'm not sure many men in here appreciates how much more women still have to do to get somewhere. We're the norm, so we don't really see that. She paved the way for many women, and that can't be bad. Not all of those women followed in her political footsteps. This will probably go unnoticed, but I still wanted to highlight this.

Now, get back to the bickering as you were. :)

She paved the way for many women

Most of the women I know feel that she set womens' causes back by years.

She filled her cabinet with men, too.

I think it's those that are defending Thatcher that need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. However they are entitled to their opinions but it seems that they are not happy to hear the opposing view. Much like Thatcher.

Millions of people hated her and rightly so. Some may find some of the posts in bad taste or indecent but come on get real these are just words on a forum and won't affect anyone's lives in an adverse way. What that evil bitch did destroyed communities and ruined people's lives to the point many took their own due to the actions of her and her government. Some people really do need to wake up, get real and stop being so precious.

Actually, people have no problem with opposing views on Thatcher. In fact amidst all the hateful bile that's being spewed out by people I actually have a great deal of respect for people who have been able to turn that hatred into constructive criticism instead.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Remember what Margaret Thatcher inherited when she became PM? The three day week, power cuts, no jobs, food shortages, working by candle light, rubbish mountains, the dead left un buried, no money and everyone on strike. She may have had faults but unless you lived through those times then don't knock what she did. The Union had to be sorted out, and its worth noting that successive Labour governments never undid the changes she made!

This sums it up perfectly. 

• Like 2

wishing the IRA had blown her up   .. that is inexcusable imo

That was a joke I made.  I'll repeat it in the context it was made:

Margaret Thatcher

Born-Grantham - 13/10/1925

Died-London - 08/04/2013

Sadly missed - Brighton 12/10/1984  

However what I will say is this despite that being a joke. I have absolutely no time what so ever for the IRA but I have always been of the belief of being happy to sacrifice the few for the good of the many. :)

Before some have a hissy fit over the above I will say this. The suffering that the evil bitch caused for many is totally inexcusable and the fact that some have got themselves into a tiss over a few, totally harmless by the way,posts on an internet forum, whilst defending that evil cow, says a lot about them. It is absolutely pathetic.

Edited by markavfc40

. She may have had faults but unless you lived through those times then don't knock what she did. 

and if you did live through those times, and had your lives and communities ruined by her?

It is also possible to know and appreciate your countries history without having had to live through a period. I think that's a rather facile, weak argument.

She paved the way for many women

Most of the women I know feel that she set womens' causes back by years.

She filled her cabinet with men, too.

Well, I won't dispute that, and of course that wasn't good. But in the wider context and longer terms I think she did a lot for women. Even if she didn't do all that she did with that in mind.

wishing the IRA had blown her up   .. that is inexcusable imo

That was a joke I made.  I'll repeat it in the context it was made:

Margaret Thatcher

Born-Grantham - 13/10/1925

Died-London - 08/04/2013

Sadly missed - Brighton 12/10/1984  

I have always been of the belief of being happy to sacrifice the few for the good of the many. :)

So 5 people dying would have been worth it if they'd have got her as well?

You are a disgrace. Pure and simple.

• Like 2

So 5 people dying would have been worth it if they'd have got her as well?

You are a disgrace. Pure and simple.

Where did I mention being OK about 5 other people dying? absolutely tragic and as I said I have no time whatsoever for the IRA.  I'd have been more than happy to see her get taken out though. Millions suffered because of her, many taking their own lives because of her actions.

Edited by markavfc40

Â