Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Remember what Margaret Thatcher inherited when she became PM? The three day week, power cuts, no jobs, food shortages, working by candle light, rubbish mountains, the dead left un buried, no money and everyone on strike. She may have had faults but unless you lived through those times then don't knock what she did. The Union had to be sorted out, and its worth noting that successive Labour governments never undid the changes she made!

This sums it up perfectly. 

The three day week, power cuts, and working by candlelight were the winter of 1973-4, under Heath.  If any PM "inherited" this, it was Wilson.

He also inherited rapidly increasing inflation, peaking at 25%, and wages pressure as a result.  In 1976 the government (foolishly) went to the IMF, who demanded the same sort of actions as always (and which are now devastating Cyprus and Portugal).  Presumably this is the "no money" you mean.

Industrial unrest followed, culminating in a wave of strikes in the winter of 1978-9.  This included some refuse collections, and in two locations, for a fortnight, a gravediggers' strike, causing bodies to be stored temporarily.  In the mythology of the right wing, this translates to the entire country tripping over corpses in the street.

But where you say "she may have had faults", yes, that bit was spot on.

• Like 1

Please tell me the taxpayer isn't picking up the tab for the funeral ? At least give us a **** day off if we are

I think so, and good thing too. She's making all these people celebrating froth at the mouth even more, all from beyond the grave as well.

• Like 1

Yep - the taxpayer will get the bill but there is no way it will be a public holiday. The police will want as many people at work as possible to prevent the inevitable demonstration at the funeral getting any bigger.

I think so, and good thing too. She's making all these people celebrating froth at the mouth even more, all from beyond the grave as well.

I think its more likely all her supporters will knock one out over the coverage.

If they haven't worn themselves out by then, panting in the corner of a room with crinkled, slightly hardened front pages on the floor.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

The police will want as many people at work as possible

Well, that definitely won't keep the scousers away.

Exactly!!! As I've already explained the Met will be rounding them up to blame for the demonstration.

there is a silver thread of truth and beauty that runs through the decades from 'there is no such thing as society' directly to 'we are all in this together'.

both have a glib surface veneer of reasonableness and common sense

both translate in action and reality to '**** you, pleb'

• Like 1

On comments about her backing a dictatorial regime, which one? Pinochet? The financial and military backing she gave to Suharto? Or the billion pounds she loaned to Saddam Hussein to buy weapons?

Don't forget the Thatcher government provided arms and support to the Khmer Rouge, yes that Khmer Rouge, the crazy communists who liquidated a huge proportion of their own population in a few short years. Mags decided toarm them after the killing fields.

So much for her fervent anti-communist credentials  :bang:

• Like 1

So 5 people dying would have been worth it if they'd have got her as well?

You are a disgrace. Pure and simple.

Where did I mention being OK about 5 other people dying? I'd have been more than happy to see her get taken out though. Millions suffered because of her, many taking their own lives because of her actions.

Any success for the ƒucking bastard terrorists on either side in Ireland was a terrible thing. 

Problem is, collusion between Loyalist Paramilitaries and British secret service's was at its height under Thatcher. Fine you might say when they were targeting the PIRA, not so much when they colluding to murder innocents like Pat Finucane.

His crime you ask? As a lawyer he defended republicans in court. Outrageous! 

I didn't know that bit about the Khmer Rouge, fascinating. Apparently kept their seat warm at the UN and sent out the SAS to help train them. Yet another case of 'my enemy's enemy' not quite being a good rule to work by.

I'd imagine every government has this kind of skeleton in their cupboard, backing up the truism, 'all governments are liars and murderers'.

So 5 people dying would have been worth it if they'd have got her as well?

You are a disgrace. Pure and simple.

Where did I mention being OK about 5 other people dying? I'd have been more than happy to see her get taken out though. Millions suffered because of her, many taking their own lives because of her actions.

Any success for the ƒucking bastard terrorists on either side in Ireland was a terrible thing. 

Problem is, collusion between Loyalist Paramilitaries and British secret service's was at its height under Thatcher. Fine you might say when they were targeting the PIRA, not so much when they colluding to murder innocents like Pat Finucane.

His crime you ask? As a lawyer he defended republicans in court. Outrageous! 

All a shocking thing, but I am not sure if Thatcher was directly responsible for this? Much of her Irish policy was informed by the assassination of Airey Neave, which I am sure led to certain parties doing various illegal things

The reality is that if Thatcher had been killed, the death toll of innocents would have huge, as various groups took a tic for tac approach. Who knows if we would be where we are now?

For those of you that have taken to Twitter to air your opinions on Thatcher, the British library is cataloging them all, apparently. You're becoming part of history. 

I'm indifferent to it all, I was a a few years old when she left office, so in truth I don't really understand the truth of the situation. 

On comments about her backing a dictatorial regime, which one? Pinochet? The financial and military backing she gave to Suharto? Or the billion pounds she loaned to Saddam Hussein to buy weapons?

Don't forget the Thatcher government provided arms and support to the Khmer Rouge, yes that Khmer Rouge, the crazy communists who liquidated a huge proportion of their own population in a few short years. Mags decided toarm them after the killing fields.

the Khmer Rouge was over in 7th Jan 79  , Thatcher didn't become PM until May 79

the Khmer Rouge was over in 7th Jan 79  , Thatcher didn't become PM until May 79

apparently she supported them keeping their UN seat after they'd been ousted from power

sounds weird, hadn't heard of it before, but it's on Wikipedia and therefore absolute fact

Â