Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Growing up in the 80's in the U.S., Thatcher seemed like a female Ronald Reagan- good for the rich, diabolically bad for the middle and working classes.

Except she was good for the middle classes and many of the working class who expressed that by voting for her.  The left has done it's work of historical revisionism exceptionally well.

there's no revisionism, she was clever enough to give to some and take from others

it was a lottery, with the losing tickets often losing everything, but enough winning tickets to keep the whole thing running

don't tell me there's been revisionism, I've walked through communities she closed down and put on the sick

I'm not arguing that some people and communities were hit hard, but to state that Thatcher was "diabolically bad for the middle and working classes" implies that everyone without a title got screwed. It just ain't true.

• Like 1

Margaret Thatcher

Born-Grantham - 13/10/1925

Died-London - 08/04/2013

Sadly missed - Brighton 12/10/1984       

You'd side with the IRA over a Tory?  That says an awful lot about your moral compass.

as opposed to siding with Pinochet?

Who gave the UK considerable aid during our little dust up with his neighbours. Not a nice man but on the other hand at least she stood by those who had helped her country and didn't feel the need to apologise for it. Real Politik has never been pretty.

our enemy's enemy is beyond real politik, it's proper blood on your hands stupid - a bit like funding Afghan jihadists, that hasn't worked out very well has it

how exactly did Argentina suddenly think they could take the Falklands? anything to do with cuts by any chance? anything to do with decommissioning HMS Endurance - for which Lord Carrington resigned to deflect attention from Thatcher's policy?

Not a nice man hardly covers his state terrorism.

Margaret Thatcher

Born-Grantham - 13/10/1925

Died-London - 08/04/2013

Sadly missed - Brighton 12/10/1984       

**** disgraceful.

I suspect there will be dozens of so called 'jokes' to come; similar to Diana's death and others.

As distasteful as they may seem, many will feel Margaret Thatcher will finally reap what she had sown. Many people witnessed the destruction MT caused to whole communities, leading many destroyed families and even suicides.

Believe me, MT herself was far more a disgrace than any words aimed at her death could ever be.

• Like 2

I always think of Thatcher as the last party politician - before her the country had room for different opinions, for different policies and for different mindsets - afterwards it didn't and every government after her has been a Tory one regardless of what colour flower or tie they've been wearing - she gave control away from politicians and from those who vote for them to banks and corporations and in doing so she ended the idea of party politics as a driver for change. After her they're all the same.

If you substitute "Thatcher" for "O'Neill" you would see no difference between this thread and the main Villa forum.

I dunno about that. I haven't seen anyone be as classless, petty and disgusting towards O'Neill as some have been towards Thatcher in this thread.

I always think of Thatcher as the last party politician - before her the country had room for different opinions, for different policies and for different mindsets - afterwards it didn't and every government after her has been a Tory one regardless of what colour flower or tie they've been wearing - she gave control away from politicians and from those who vote for them to banks and corporations and in doing so she ended the idea of party politics as a driver for change. After her they're all the same.

Depends entirely on your own political views. I certainly don't think every government since has been Conservative.

Edited by Mantis

Depends entirely on your own political views. I certainly don't think every government since has been Conservative.

To be honest my political views are that the party system is no longer an appropriate vehicle for political progress - the desire to win elections is much greater than he desire to do anything for the country. If we're UK Plc - this is the marketing department and no more. For me, Maggie did that. 

Which of the governments since Thatcher do you think didn't follow a Thatcherite line?

• Like 2

I think some of the comments about thatcher and her family probably say more about the people making them than thatcher and her family.

yeah I hate it when people say mean and nasty things, especially when they are false

753951050.jpg

That's Bernard Ingham, Maggie's press secretary btw.

• Like 2

The Labour government 1997-2010.

Really!?! Blair said that his job was to build on Thatchers policies - the economic policies of his government were absolutely Thatcherite, and Thatcher said that she felt her greatest political achievement was New Labour. 

• Like 2

Who gave the UK considerable aid during our little dust up with his neighbours. Not a nice man but on the other hand at least she stood by those who had helped her country and didn't feel the need to apologise for it. Real Politik has never been pretty.

It has never been pretty because it's shabby politics based upon expedience with rarely a shadow of a thought for what decent actions would entail and a concentration on what would further the interests of those being so 'pragmatic'.

Except she was good for the middle classes and many of the working class who expressed that by voting for her.

You say this as though it has to be accepted fact and that this 'good' has some longevity.

It is like everything else on here simply opinion, but one based on direct observation. The 80's under Thatcher wasn't a diabolical time for my working class family, or our working class neighbours, my school friends (many of whom had parents who exercised the right to buy) or relatives.

• Like 2

The Labour government 1997-2010.

Rumour has it was that when asked what her greatest accomplishment was, Thatcher was reported as saying "New Labour".

That tells you everything.

• Like 3

Â