Nuclear War (next week?)

ender4

Which is also why South Korea probably isn't thrilled about the prospect of reunification. What do you do with 25 million people who have nothing?

Ask the West Germans for some tips, I guess.

• Like 1

I thought China would rather not have a unified pro-US Korea on their doorstep, especially if it gets nice and friendly with Japan and controls that rather congested region?

I doubt Russia would be thrilled about having the Yanks on their doorstep either.

**** knows what they really think, though.

Which is also why South Korea probably isn't thrilled about the prospect of reunification. What do you do with 25 million people who have nothing?

The flip side being China definitely not wanting to see North Korea make a successful transition from communism to democratic governance as part of a unified Korea, because it sets an unwelcome example to the folks at home... Not to mention a direct military ally of the US then being a river's width from Chinese territory. North Korea is a useful physical and ideological buffer for the PRC.

The flip side being China definitely not wanting to see North Korea make a successful transition from communism to democratic governance as part of a unified Korea, because it sets an unwelcome example to the folks at home... Not to mention a direct military ally of the US then being a river's width from Chinese territory. North Korea is a useful physical and ideological buffer for the PRC.

not to mention a nice excuse for the Americans to have a military presence in the region

it's useful for both sides right now

Eventually existing markets will become, not saturated, but harder to sell to. At that point, a few million NK's with a need for fried chicken and dvd's will become too much to resist and moves will be made by all interested parties. I'd suspect at the same time, it'll be noticed how much timber or coal or kryptonite or some such is under NK and there will be a race to 'help them'.

But it all feels like it's a way off yet.

aye, and they can have them ready in 45 minutes according to excellent sources we can't reveal

next up, fuzzy photo's that prove a grainy rectangle is a mobile chemical weapons factory

"Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction hidden somewhere, and although we haven't found them, and they haven't made any threats, we are going to invade"

"North Korea has said they are planning on nuking the United States, so we will monitor the situation closely"

Hasn't the DPRK got 1m soldiers or something? (I may have made this up?!)

Almost....

DPRK have an estimated 1.1 million active personnel. This is the interesting part - they have about 8.2 million reserve personnel. In total about 9.3 million active personnel from a population of about 25 million. They rank first in the list of military personnel. Imagine that many people trying to get across your border. Scary huh?

To put this into some perspective - Britain - well we have about 200,000 active personnel with another 200,000 reserves. Totalling about 400k.

yea but they don't have any guns durr :lol:

being attacked with a load of rakes and forks isn't much to an L85a2 assault rifle :D

Very true, most of their weaponry is old and from the soviet era I believe. But still, a lot of pissed off people will be coming at ya! Think it would be best for everyone to remain friends. :) ? Edited by Tayls

Almost....

DPRK have an estimated 1.1 million active personnel. This is the interesting part - they have about 8.2 million reserve personnel. In total about 9.3 million active personnel from a population of about 25 million. 

Presumably that is just listing the entire adult male population then.

being attacked with a load of rakes and forks isn't much to an L85a2 assault rifle :D

Very true, most of their weaponry is old and from the soviet era I believe. But still, a lot of pissed of people will be coming at ya! Think it would be best for everyone to remain friends. :) ?

the stuff they paraded about at the military parade is all old soviet era stuff  .... the good stuff is kept hidden away 

some of the rocket launchers they paraded about quite clearly were older than me , some it's doubtful would even fly , but it also turned out they had some hardware that caught the experts unaware  ... One rocket launcher had been sold by the Chinese to Cambodia and yet there it was in NK

if anyone is interested in NK hardware then I have some photo's from last Aprils Military parade here  ....

Edited by tonyh29

Almost....

DPRK have an estimated 1.1 million active personnel. This is the interesting part - they have about 8.2 million reserve personnel. In total about 9.3 million active personnel from a population of about 25 million.

Presumably that is just listing the entire adult male population then.

Yup, though interestingly there are more women available for service than men.

Also don't forget it is compulsory to serve in the military for a few years from the age of, 17? I think. (Can anybody confirm?) so once they have finished their duty most will make themselves available as a 'reserve'.

These are just silly conspiracies really. It would be daft to claim that special interests don't have influence but to say the PM/President is just a "puppet" is equally as daft.

Erm George W Bush?

What about him?

Special *coughneedscough* interests?

Special interests have longed played a part in the American political system. Bush wasn't anything unique or special.

not to mention a nice excuse for the Americans to have a military presence in the region

A perfectly legitimate "excuse" too.

Very true, most of their weaponry is old and from the soviet era I believe. But still, a lot of pissed of people will be coming at ya! Think it would be best for everyone to remain friends. :) ?
the stuff they paraded about at the military parade is all old soviet era stuff .... the good stuff is kept hidden away

some of the rocket launchers they paraded about quite clearly were older than me , some it's doubtful would even fly , but it also turned out they had some hardware that caught the experts unaware ... One rocket launcher had been sold by the Chinese to Cambodia and yet there it was in NK

if anyone is interested in NK hardware then I have some photo's from last Aprils Military parade here ....

I can't see the pics :( saying might have expired or something. I forgot you said you had been! Think you mentioned it in the travel experiences thread. What did you see/do etc? How did you get to go over there?

Â