Nuclear War (next week?)

ender4

To take out a threatening and dangerous regime

Clearly I wouldn't wish to see innocent lives lost, rather their freedom secured and lives improved

There's a difference between "I think a dangerous regime should be taken out" and "it would make great TV."

The latter makes you come across as very insensitive.

in fairness to CI, we've all taken a bit of an interest in the matter, largely because the threat of war looms ominously overhead. Clearly nobody wants to see lives being lost on either side, but it's difficult to deny that the current situation isn't atleast interesting from an outside point of view. And dare I say that we'd all watch on in morbid fascination if the situation escalated further. Not in a joyful way, but certainly in a 9/11 jaw-dropping news-athon kind of way.

• Like 1

To take out a threatening and dangerous regime

Surely we should be bombing the crap out of America using your logic ??

Edited by tonyh29

in fairness to CI, we've all taken a bit of an interest in the matter, largely because the threat of war looms ominously overhead. Clearly nobody wants to see lives being lost on either side, but it's difficult to deny that the current situation isn't atleast interesting from an outside point of view. And dare I say that we'd all watch on in morbid fascination if the situation escalated further. Not in a joyful way, but certainly in a 9/11 jaw-dropping news-athon kind of way.

There's a hell of a difference between finding something interesting and saying you'd like to see something.

There's a hell of a difference between finding something interesting and saying you'd like to see something.

Oh definitely. I don't think CI really meant what he said, but I can certainly empathise with his interest in the matter. He could undoubtedly have said it better though.

OT but removing Saddam for gassing people should have been all the justification needed , that the UK govt lied to it's people, and Blair still continues to do so  is completely baffling

The point wasn't so much about why we went to war with Iraq but rather why we haven't gone to war already with NK given what IS actually happening there. The clear inference being because it wouldn't be nearly as profitable for the victor to do so. It's also why the Rwandan genocide was allowed to happen. There's f**k all down there so let 'em at it.
  • Like 1

Yes I probably could have worded it better. As shillzz said we all watched 9/11 not with pleasure but more shock and awe. Like it or not , this is the world weve created and live in. The way wars are covered by the media is amazing. Imagine if we had coverage like this during any of the great wars . Some of the military hardware that's out there now is quite frankly brilliant bits of equipment. Seeing it in use I find fascinating but obviously not the result where innocents are killed . I would like to see that regime taken out though and the people set free.

CI, the media don't report war news any more. Those days are gone. They aren't allowed to. They're not allowed near the real action unless they go in (sometimes literally) sitting on the side of the tank having agreed to report what they want us to hear. If I thought for a second that what I was hearing on the news bore any resemblance to the reality of what was going on in a war then I might watch it. But it isn't. It is unashamed lies, propaganda and spin from one side of the conflict. You get in serious trouble in America if you journalistically stray away from that, because it is seen as unpatriotic/breach of security or somesuch.

OT but removing Saddam for gassing people should have been all the justification needed , that the UK govt lied to it's people, and Blair still continues to do so  is completely baffling

The point wasn't so much about why we went to war with Iraq but rather why we haven't gone to war already with NK given what IS actually happening there. The clear inference being because it wouldn't be nearly as profitable for the victor to do so. It's also why the Rwandan genocide was allowed to happen. There's f**k all down there so let 'em at it.

Depends if you believe we went to war in Iraq for oil or not ;)

but  , I thought your initial point was about Human rights in NK  , which was why i made the Kurd link 

CI, the media don't report war news any more. Those days are gone. They aren't allowed to. They're not allowed near the real action unless they go in (sometimes literally) sitting on the side of the tank having agreed to report what they want us to hear. If I thought for a second that what I was hearing on the news bore any resemblance to the reality of what was going on in a war then I might watch it. But it isn't. It is unashamed lies, propaganda and spin from one side of the conflict. You get in serious trouble in America if you journalistically stray away from that, because it is seen as unpatriotic/breach of security or somesuch.

What makes you think that, BOF? Genuine question.

Â