2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure we'd fancy Egypt but the others all sound good and kinda back up suggestions we've already had.

I was quite keen on Malta, the main downside appears to be that theres no direct flight from BHX, all seem to have a change at some point which I think we'd rather avoid. From what I know of it and have seen/read, it seems ideal.

Cyprus wasn't quite on the radar but I have been told before now that it's a place I'd probably adore so definitely on the cards I think - family have also recommended it subsequently. Same too for the Canaries - my only issue there is I've heard some of the islands are very, very 'tourist-y' (for want of a better phrase), particularly Tenerife(?). Not sure I want to be fighting off looky looky men everytime I go somewhere or constantly being aware of my wallet...

But thanks for the advise chaps - food for thought.

If you want to take a look at Greek islands there is a little gem in the form of Thassos. Not as touristy as the other main islands and you take a lovely boat trip over to it from Kavala which is where you will land. (Mainland Greece). Lots of great beaches and some great hotels. Fairly cheap as well.

Edited by Tayls

I was quite keen on Malta, the main downside appears to be that theres no direct flight from BHX, all seem to have a change at some point which I think we'd rather avoid. From what I know of it and have seen/read, it seems ideal.

Pretty sure 3 airlines fly direct from BHX to Malta; Thomson, Ryanair and Air Malta. 

That may have changed though... 

Pretty sure 3 airlines fly direct from BHX to Malta; Thomson, Ryanair and Air Malta.

That may have changed though...

Nothing showing on sky scanner but not sure Thompson come up on that

Get yourself down to Heathrow Dean , you can leave your car in our office car park and I'll run you over to the airport its only 15 mins from where I work

( not between 15th and 31st Aug though as I'm away :) )

Thanks for the offer Tony but unfortunately don't drive yet. Another thing I'm working on in the near future.

Think we're leading towards Cyprus currently... Seems fairly good value for decent places that time of year.

Couple of girls I know are just back from Malta and they absolutely loved it.

Said they were expecting it to be a much "older" culture, if that makes sense, but it was actually full of young people ("young" in this case being under 30)

They did sample the nightlife quite heavily to be honest so not sure their holiday matches what you were after, but there is further evidence that it's a decent place to go, and fairly cheap.

But I think you're right about the airports. They had to go from Luton. Although a coach down there isn't too expensive and only takes a couple of hours.

Im also thinking of a holiday end of september/ start of October.

I having a boxing fight 21st September and spending all free time this summer training (12 gym sessions a week) and looking at a holiday for 10 days or so after that.

Any suggestions?

I might be doing it with my Housemate or also could be going alone, which i am not very good at because im not an overly friendly person.

Its likely i will head to Bali, as my parents are currently sailing around the world and will be in Bali then so could stay with them for like 3 days or so.

Anywhere else around Bali i should go to? id like to fly via H.K maybe for a day or 2 but looking at it, might not be the best way round things.

I having a boxing fight 21st September and spending all free time this summer training (12 gym sessions a week) and looking at a holiday for 10 days or so after that.

Any suggestions?

I might be doing it with my Housemate or also could be going alone, which i am not very good at because im not an overly friendly person.

Its likely i will head to Bali, as my parents are currently sailing around the world and will be in Bali then so could stay with them for like 3 days or so.

Anywhere else around Bali i should go to? id like to fly via H.K maybe for a day or 2 but looking at it, might not be the best way round things.

air Asia fly into Bali from BKK or KL if that helps ... I'm paying something like £48 in August for my KL to Bali flight ... Like everything it depends what you really want to see and do

Whilst in Bali if you want something different , try a trip to Komodo and go and see the dragons , you fly out to one of the out lying islands and spend a day or 2 on a boat as well ... I can report back in August what it is like as I'm booked on afore mentioned trip :)

Any suggestions?

air Asia fly into Bali from BKK or KL if that helps ... I'm paying something like £48 in August for my KL to Bali flight ... Like everything it depends what you really want to see and do

Whilst in Bali if you want something different , try a trip to Komodo and go and see the dragons , you fly out to one of the out lying islands and spend a day or 2 on a boat as well ... I can report back in August what it is like as I'm booked on afore mentioned trip :)

Ah great stuff, i take it you havnt been before although I imagine you have been to Bankok and KL before.

Iv been to both BKK and KL before so was seeing if another route was do-able.

Im not actually looking to do too much, mostly relax. maybe have a few drinks considering ill have spent like 4 months before it hardly touching a drink. Obviously ill do a few things and enjoy the different culture, maybe learn to surf.... 

Guess i wont know what i want to do till i get there

If you're going to Bali then please, please go to the Gili Islands. You can get a fast(ish) boat from Bali. They are pure paradise and it's like finding a land that time forgot - they travel around the islands in horse and carts (seriously). There are no motorised vehicles.

Trawangan is the best if you want stuff to do at night as it has more beach bars/restaurants than the other two islands.

• 1 month later...

Yeah it won't be expensive even if you can't get it for free anywhere, I paid 40 quid (including an excess waiver) for 3 months in SE Asia and probably could have got it cheaper if I tried but I sorted it in a rush last minute.

For Cyprus I wouldn't bother with travel insurance personally ...It only really comes into play if you are off skiing or climbing mountains etc

It Cost £3k for me to get rescued from Everest , Amex paid up without any quibbles so although not the cheapest I always use them whenever I need travel insurance , cheap usually equals crap coverage so read the small print first

For Cyprus I wouldn't bother with travel insurance personally ...It only really comes into play if you are off skiing or climbing mountains etc

It Cost £3k for me to get rescued from Everest , Amex paid up without any quibbles so although not the cheapest I always use them whenever I need travel insurance , cheap usually equals crap coverage so read the small print first

WHAT?? No travel insurance? - madness. My advice would be NEVER to travel without TI

• Like 2

WHAT?? No travel insurance? - madness. My advice would be NEVER to travel without TI

Maybe at your age where your bones are brittle or your dentures get lost ... But for us young vibrant types it really isn't needed :)

He's off to Cyprus not Syria , the worse thing that will happen there will be someone forgets to put sugar in his coffee

Finally got holiday sorted. I'm off to Cyprus in the second week of November. Finally get to use that passport.

Now, just need travel insurance...

what date you over there mate? im going in november too. what part you staying

like others have said wouldnt bother with travel insurance have been over 50 times and never been to a hospital. it will be quiet at that time i should inform you

Â