2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

Wasn't really a fan of Bangkok, Khaosan road was okay but alongside Phnom Penh and Hanoi it was my least favourite place in SE Asia. Incredible food though!

it's always interesting the contrasting views 

As I'd have Hanoi as a clear winner when it comes to least favourite places in SE Asia

Wasn't really a fan of Bangkok, Khaosan road was okay but alongside Phnom Penh and Hanoi it was my least favourite place in SE Asia. Incredible food though!

I loved Phnom Penh! A real good night out... plus it had the vibe that it wasn't that safe if you ventured off the beaten track... which made me like it even more!

Off to Salou on Friday. Another stag do.

I asked before but has anyone been and can you recommend some decent nightlife?

I think we've got daytime activities sorted but nobody's sure about where to go on the night (although I'm sure we'd manage to just find somewhere)

just got back from driving round scotland for a week, the A82 through glen coe was absolutely stunning, it pissed it down and went all misty so you couldnt see the tops of the hills / mountains it was amazing, visited inverrary castle, scone palace, hadrians wall on the way back, all very good and well worth a visit

think the only disappointing part was staying at atholl palace in pitlochry, tried far too hard to be really posh and it just wasnt

I've just got back from pollenca in Majorca. Stayed at the pollenca park hotel. Fantastic place with decent pubs and restaurants and the hotel was brilliant. If you're looking for a cheap break away I would suggest here and to look an the travel republic website

I never thought I'd have reason to post in here with my holidays to date largely having not existed in the last 6 years and having never been abroad (I know, I know)... but anywho...

My job dictates that I can't really take a summer holiday, so does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere thats likely to be fairly nice still (weather wise mainly, but also is just generally a nice place) in October? And preferably not a huge flight away.

Not particularly bothered about night life, would prefer somewhere pretty cheap, and ideally somewhere by the sea. Beyond that if it's not shithole and has some nice bars and food and is generally a bit pretty, I'd probably be all ears.

Will be 2 of us for a week going.

I'd suggest Cyprus. It's pretty much very hot all year round except for Jan/Feb, about the best weather you can find in Europe, generally. By October the season is over and you just see Cyprus for what it is, a quiet, peaceful Mediterranean country with lots of history if you go looking and beautiful beaches. It's about 4 1/2 hour flight but Monarch fly there for a reasonable price out of season, I think. 

Wasn't on your list but Probably Beijing would get my city vote in Asia 

Definitely. 

Just remember that "the Great Wall" isn't really a single wall, more a collection of old earthen walls and the newer 15th-century/16th-century Ming-era walls (those are the ones that appear in the tourist brochures). It is also not visible from space ;)

I never thought I'd have reason to post in here with my holidays to date largely having not existed in the last 6 years and having never been abroad (I know, I know)... but anywho...

My job dictates that I can't really take a summer holiday, so does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere thats likely to be fairly nice still (weather wise mainly, but also is just generally a nice place) in October? And preferably not a huge flight away.

Not particularly bothered about night life, would prefer somewhere pretty cheap, and ideally somewhere by the sea. Beyond that if it's not shithole and has some nice bars and food and is generally a bit pretty, I'd probably be all ears.

Don't forget you need a passport :)

Yeah Cyprus may not be a bad shout ... You'll also probably get enough sunshine in the canary isles that time of year

Could also look at Malta ... Some nice spa type hotels there and not Mega expensive

Crete is another one to look at

Just do you homework on the hotel front to make sure you aren't staying in the local rave friendly hot spot

I use bookings.com can usually get a decent idea in their reviews ... Trip adviser can be a tad American biased and hotels get crucified if there isn't a Starbucks within 4 feet ....

in october most of the raves will be finished...

protaras in cyprus is nice, close enough to ayia napa so you could still go to some bars and the beaches (the season has finished so it wont be full of yoofs) but also far enough out so you can avoid it all

id be surprised if sharm didnt work out cheaper than most places, but IMO that really does need research when picking your hotel

agree with tony, read the reviews on trip advisor rather than just the score, some will give 0 or 1 because of something that either wont bother you in the slightest or is really unlikely to happen to you

Just came back from Cyprus today, was there for a week. It was very hot, so you need a good hotel/villa with air conditioning in every room to enjoy it. I like Cyprus a lot, like mentioned above, it's a very peaceful place where you don't have to worry about pickpocketing or stuff like that. It was somewhat more quiet than before, I suppose the economic situation has taken its' toll on tourism there. Prices haven't really come down though.

I would think October is a very good time to go there.

I'd say in October if you are still looking for very nice weather (mid 30's) then Sharm in Egypt is the best choice. Flight is circa 6 hours but Cyprus as mentioned above is about 4 I think? (been nearly 20 years since i last went there). Egypt will be cheaper than Cyprus for sure.

Sharm has a vast choice of huge hotels (some have 8-10 pools) and most of them have their own private beaches as well. Its good for snorkeling etc. Most people will stay on complex for the holiday as some of the hotels have bars/clubs on site. If you want to venture out then you can head to Naama Bay (main part of Sharm) and they have bars, clubs etc there.

I've been to Sharm twice. Once we were nowhere near Naama Bay, the second time was about a ten minute walk away and I'd definitely recommend being close to it. The resorts are pretty much all inclusive and it gets very boring in the hotels very early. 

like xela said, my hotel had around 10 pools and 6 restaurants (and the euros were on) so it was ok

i really didnt like the town itself, far too many looky looky men, think the drop in tourism has made it worse

I've always been with mates and the local men don't really give a shit about lads on their own... it's the blonde women they perv over. I think Chindie will be safe  :)

Â