2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

I vowed I would never go again after being ill a couple of years ago in Sharm.

This place came very highly recommended from some friends and so far so good :-)

Plus i love the reefs but not see good for me as I separated my shoulder just after we booked :-(

Going to Egypt/Sharm for the first time at the end of the month for 2 weeks so i cant wait!  Also hoping to do a couple of daytrips to Cairo and Luxor.

Sharm is a lovely place to visit. But it's all about the hotel you're staying in. The town of Sharm itself is getting a bit trashy, dare I say, but find yourself a good hotel and you're onto a winner.

The diving and the beaches are better than anywhere I've been in Europe, by a distance.

Yeah most the hotels i was looking at initially were getting some really mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, so much so that i didnt think i would end up going at all.  However this one dropped into my price range just about so jumped on that and it looks good enough.

Ive never done all inclusive either, so two weeks of that will be interesting.  But tbh, two weeks of sun, sand, sea, swimming and relaxation cant go wrong with that!

i found the town was horrible, ridiculous numbers of looky looky men who got agressive and were incredibly rude, was told that tourism there was way down which is probably why

i also got ill and had problems with mosquitos, there were tons of them, but the weather was amazing, i went 1st week of june last year and it was 40 every day

Barons resort in Sharm is fairly decent and all inclusive so you can blow out , they even include one set of laundry and a haircut in the room rate !!

Spent a week in Cairo before we flew down to Sharm so didn't bother venturing outside the hotel other than the parade of shops and bars alongside it

Was there a week after the shark attacks so they had red flags up everywhere and wouldn't let you in the water over waist deep ... Eventually they relented as i think they got bored of blowing whistles at me ..: but if you are nervous then take the boat trip over to the island and snorkel there

Got 2 weeks AI in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. Looking forward to it as I've never been to Mexico or done a decent AI. Very different to my normal holiday, which would be driving round Florida or California so hoping I don't get bored after a few days.

if you had to do city - beach - city in asia which would you do?

im thinking hong kong - penang - Singapore, but you can replace the cities with ho chi minh, kuala lumpur, Dubai (which is a no from the gf) don't really want to do Bangkok, think you can do seoul etc etc then for the beach again not really Thailand unless it was too good a deal to turn down, so I could do somewhere in Vietnam, Malaysia not sure where else, would like to try japan and Okinawa but think it'll be too expensive

Depends what you want to do in those cities

Honkers and Singapore are ok for a day or 2 but they don't have the wow factor IMO , though I did like both of them

Ho Chi Min isn't bad , can do the tunnels and see a few buildings and war stuff ... And could easily get to a beach In Vietnam from there .. Consider Ha Long Bay ... There is a beach there but more impressive is to spend a few days on a junk sailing around the islands

I'm off back to KL next month but only as a 1 day stopover , few things to see there and you could consider Pangkor Laut instead of Penang , nicer place and less commercial ( also pricey )

Don't rule out Dubai as its a good hub and Emirates are fairly cheap flight wise .. Beaches tend to be man made so not a lot of ocean life if you like your snorkelling , but I like the place personally ... and beach by day and skiing by night is always good fun .. As is a dune safari .... Qatar is nicer and less built up if you wanted another reasonably priced hub to fly in and out off ... Family liked it more than Dubai , but again the beaches are not that great swim wise

Wasn't on your list but Probably Beijing would get my city vote in Asia , Great Wall, Tiananmen Square , forbidden city , summer palace all easily accessible .. And all worth seeing. ... Never done a beach holiday in China but I bet it has some fairly decent ones and then you could finish in Shanghai for your second city .. But If you really want to blow your mind then take the train in China to Tibet .. It's not expensive , it is an amazing journey and Lhasa has good flight options to the Chinese big hubs for going home again

I'm a big fan of Hong Kong... been three times is as many years. Definitely got the wow factor from me. Singapore was ok, but after a couple of days I was bored. I did prefer it to KL though, which I found dull.

Bangers is a great city but better with a group of lads. 

Have you considered Shanghai? Never been but looks fantastic 

Got 2 weeks AI in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. Looking forward to it as I've never been to Mexico or done a decent AI. Very different to my normal holiday, which would be driving round Florida or California so hoping I don't get bored after a few days.

Make sure you go see Chichen Itza!! Also try to take in Xcaret and Isla Majures if you can...

yeah I've been to shanghai and Beijing, shanghai was amazing, will probably wait a few years before going back at the least until the new tower is finished, Beijing was probably as cold as ive ever been in my life so I couldn't be bothered to do anything whilst there and saw probably half of what I wanted

I'm a big fan of Hong Kong... been three times is as many years. Definitely got the wow factor from me. Singapore was ok, but after a couple of days I was bored. I did prefer it to KL though, which I found dull.

Agreed. I love Hong Kong. I stayed there for six nights three years ago and would love to go back. There's an amazing feel about the place; plus there's plenty to do. You could even pop over to Macau whilst you're there.

Also agree about Bangkok. You could go for a day or two, but it's a lot better with mates - a few days smashing it up around Sukhimvit Soi 11 or the Khaosan Road is quality. You can also get a decent hotel with roof-top pool etc and it won't cost a fortune.

You could look into the Philippines. A direct flight from Manilla to Boracay Island is 40minutes. The island is awesome - turquoise sea and white sand beach. There are plenty of chilled-out beach bars and also a few raucous places if you want something more lively.

Agreed. I love Hong Kong. I stayed there for six nights three years ago and would love to go back. There's an amazing feel about the place; plus there's plenty to do. You could even pop over to Macau whilst you're there.

Also agree about Bangkok. You could go for a day or two, but it's a lot better with mates - a few days smashing it up around Sukhimvit Soi 11 or the Khaosan Road is quality. You can also get a decent hotel with roof-top pool etc and it won't cost a fortune.

You could look into the Philippines. A direct flight from Manilla to Boracay Island is 40minutes. The island is awesome - turquoise sea and white sand beach. There are plenty of chilled-out beach bars and also a few raucous places if you want something more lively.

Soi 11 gets better every year. There are some really smart clubs and bars opening up there now. Apoteka is a fantastic cocktail bar with lives Blues music. Firehouse is more or less next door and they do great burgers:

http://www.firehousethailand.com/en/home/

Plus, you're not that far from good old Soi 4 if you feel like a bit of filth!  ;)

Never been Boracay but it's on the to-do list. I didn't have time when I was in Manila. 

Yeah, Soi 11 is quality. I don't think Apoteka or Firehouse were open when I last went. How long have they been there? I also heard about somewhere new called Bash which is down an alley by the Aussie Bar on 11.

Yep, Cowboy is easily accessible once you're over that side ;)

What did you think of Manila? I quite liked some of the bars at Greenbelt and the clubs at the Fort in Makati, but I didn't find anything particularly interesting to do during the day.

Apoteka had only just opened when I was last there in late February. I'd say Firehouse has been there about 18 months at a guess? I haven't heard of Bash, but will check it out next time I am there. The Aussie Bar is good fun, especially when the live band is on.

I liked Manila... I stopped in Ermita district which is by Manila Bay in the old part of Manila. Had some cracking nights out there with some contacts I made from work in the UK. Had one night out at the Fort... went to the Encore club (former Embassy club) and it was a superb night. Agree about daytimes... I just wandered around the shopping centres recovering from my hangover!

A good night can be had in Jakarta, surprisingly enough. The city is a mare to get around due to traffic (makes Manila look empty!) but the people are great and there are some good places to drink.

What did you think of Manila? I quite liked some of the bars at Greenbelt and the clubs at the Fort in Makati, but I didn't find anything particularly interesting to do during the day.           

Corregidor Island is worth a day trip

I didn't have time as I was on a  flying visit but I wanted to see the cemetery in the North of Manila  where people have moved in and live among the graves  .. not sure if that's a touristy place though !!

Edited by tonyh29

Have you actually visited Mogan? They call it 'Little Venice' for good reason Stefan.

We would normally get the ferry from Puerto Rico on a Friday as its market day in Mogan. The ferry stops halfway between Puerto Rico and Mogan to feed the fish and then on arriving in Mogan we go for lunch in one of the small bars overlooking the harbour.

Sorry just seen this. Yeah, go every year. Love it.

Â