2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

storytime -

I had to go to hospital in ayia napa, had some trouble with an infection causing ulcers and bad gums, was shocking

anyway I turned up 9 o'clock Saturday morning, they stuck me in a doctors office, facilities were amazing, far better than anything ive ever seen here, my doctor turned up at half 9, sat down, let out a huge sigh and said "sorry friend I had a great night out round town last night" he was proper hanging!

charged me £70 iirc im sure the insurance only kicks in if I spent £90

Travel insurance is a requirement from Thomson's, who we've gone with, so gotta sort it. I can apparently get what I'm told is a very good deal through my work but it only works out if you're looking to travel a couple of times in a year or if you're taking the family.

Appreciate the help chaps and I'll check them out, Drat. At the mo we're leaning towards the post office, which works out at £22.50 each for the single trip, but we've not really checked the market.

Finally got holiday sorted. I'm off to Cyprus in the second week of November. Finally get to use that passport.

Now, just need travel insurance...

what date you over there mate? im going in november too. what part you staying

like others have said wouldnt bother with travel insurance have been over 50 times and never been to a hospital. it will be quiet at that time i should inform you

6-13th, staying in Paphos. I know very little about Cyprus and less about Paphos, but I'm told it's very nice.

Tbh, I'm glad it's gonna be quiet. I'm gonna need the break. I'll be happy if the weather is alright, the hotel alright and the food nice.

I can't believe some of you are suggesting not to have travel insurance. It costs next to nothing, and it may save you a boatload of money and trouble if something happens.

I was in Aiya Thekla three years ago, and got high fever for five days. Had to go to a hospital and see a doctor every day, take tests and whatnot. Nothing was found, it was just a virus. The bill was around 1K. Glad I paid around 30 pounds for the insurance.

I love Cyprus, but it's not out of this world. You might just break a leg.

And hey, take more cash than normal with you. After seeing their recent figures, it's not all good in the economy and banking system.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

6-13th, staying in Paphos. I know very little about Cyprus and less about Paphos, but I'm told it's very nice.

Tbh, I'm glad it's gonna be quiet. I'm gonna need the break. I'll be happy if the weather is alright, the hotel alright and the food nice. 

ah nice, yes paphos is more of the english touristy area of cyprus. its very nice, but november i imagine it will be dead. but this works to your advantage when eating out as they tend to look after you more as they would love for you to keep going to them, so they will be genenous with their portions

weather wise should be good i reckon be mid 20s at bets which will be warmer than the uk tahts for sure. probably be too cold for the beach though unfortuantely

food is great in cyprus, esp if you love seafood mostly fresh

£22.50, what?

Mine's £6 for Spain next week.

£6?? Where did you get it from to get it that cheap? ?

I pay £56 for the year but I go abroad at least 6 times a year so is good for me.

Going abroad with no insurance is absolutely crazy advice. Medical bills can run up to thousands. Even if he isn't climbing mountains, etc why take the risk to avoid paying a small amount for insurance?!

Edited by donnie

£22.50, what?

I pay £56 for the year but I go abroad at least 6 times a year so is good for me.

Going abroad with no insurance is absolutely crazy advice. Medical bills can run up to thousands. Even if he isn't climbing mountains, etc why take the risk to avoid paying a small amount for insurance?!

Because for a £6 policy you won't be covered on most stuff anyway I.e medical evacuation

Medicine is covered by an EEA / EHIC in Cyprus so no need on that regard either .... you may get charged 2 euro if you have to see a doc , and even that in theory you can claim back when you return home

£22.50, what?

Because for a £6 policy you won't be covered on most stuff anyway I.e medical evacuation

Medicine is covered by an EEA / EHIC in Cyprus so no need on that regard either .... you may get charged 2 euro if you have to see a doc , and even that in theory you can claim back when you return home

Sorry Tony you are wrong 

In respect to the EEA / EHIC thing, you "may" get state health care but will still be at a cost. It will cover you for treatment in certain countries up until your journey home. It will NOT cover you for flight home, medical costs incurred for your repatriation etc, plus obviously it does not cover you for lost or stolen goods - often house insurance wont cover that either. 

A lot of people think that they are covered by various "schemes" that CC's and Banks say they provide, but often these have many many exclusions and basically worthless. Getting TI is a simple process, a quick look at what you are covered for (and what not) and it's a no brainer as to why you would have it. 

Actually I'm not ... If you see a state doctor then your medication / prescription is free .. They even throw in a free ambulance if you present your EHIC

Air helicopters etc arent covered But as i said nor will it be with the cheap policies people are suggesting on here so it makes not a lot of difference really ...

Incidentally My brother had travel insurance and a fairly decent / expensive one to boot .... When the ice flow he was on drifted away and they had to be rescued by the Canadian army and have all their flights rearranged guess how much he got back from his travel insurance

If you said a £1 , you'd be a £1 to high !!!

Actually I'm not ... If you see a state doctor then your medication / prescription is free .. They even throw in a free ambulance if you present your EHIC

Air helicopters etc arent covered But as i said nor will it be with the cheap policies people are suggesting on here so it makes not a lot of difference really ...

Incidentally My brother had travel insurance and a fairly decent / expensive one to boot .... When the ice flow he was on drifted away and they had to be rescued by the Canadian army and have all their flights rearranged guess how much he got back from his travel insurance

Tony sorry mate but you are wrong.

As the EHIC web site quite clearly states - 

Each country’s healthcare system is slightly different. Therefore, your EHIC might not cover everything that would be free on the NHS. However, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting.

In some countries, you may have to pay a patient contribution, also known as a co-payment. See our county-by-country guide for more information.

You may be able to get a refund for these payments when you're back in the UK if you could not do so in the country where you were treated.
  • The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, for example because of either illness or an accident. (In an emergency you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone).
  • The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers. - so it is not free. Plus as said it will not cover any recovery back to the UK, nor (obviously) will it cover theft, damage etc that TI will cover. 

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.

The EHIC will not cover your medical expenses if you are going abroad specifically to have treatment (including giving birth). Find out more about planned treatment abroad.

You may not be able to use the card in some parts of the EEA as state-provided healthcare may not be available.

TI (like nearly all insurances) is a scam because of it's excesses and attempts to get out of paying, BUT to say it's not needed is basically a recipe for a big problem IMO. 

Edited by drat01

In addition to covering costs, travel insurance also makes things easy in case something happens. For example, your insurance company can provide you with a list of clinics they have agreements with, that can bill the insurance company directly. This way you don't have to use your credit card limit, or pay in cash.

And the clinic will treat you well, knowing they can charge the insurance company. So, it's additional quality aswell.

I suppose 6 pounds is a bit suspect, I have to say. I'd read the fine print carefully.

Edited by AVTuco

Tony sorry mate but you are wrong.

As the EHIC web site quite clearly states - 

Each country’s healthcare system is slightly different. Therefore, your EHIC might not cover everything that would be free on the NHS. However, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting.

In some countries, you may have to pay a patient contribution, also known as a co-payment. See our county-by-country guide for more information.

You may be able to get a refund for these payments when you're back in the UK if you could not do so in the country where you were treated.

• The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, for example because of either illness or an accident. (In an emergency you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone).
  • The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers. - so it is not free. Plus as said it will not cover any recovery back to the UK, nor (obviously) will it cover theft, damage etc that TI will cover. 
The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.

The EHIC will not cover your medical expenses if you are going abroad specifically to have treatment (including giving birth). Find out more about planned treatment abroad.

You may not be able to use the card in some parts of the EEA as state-provided healthcare may not be available.

TI (like nearly all insurances) is a scam because of it's excesses and attempts to get out of paying, BUT to say it's not needed is basically a recipe for a big problem IMO. 

The very web site you quote from has a country by country guide and when you click Cyprus the country I was talking about ( as its where Dean is going ) it has it all in black and white saying exactly as I posted

This isn't a politics thread so stop arguing :-)

well, for what it's worth, I've recently paid £17 for whole family travel insurance for europe that included everything I could think of

possibly I've bought insurance I didn't need, but frankly at £17 being able to get 4 people home or pay off the mortgage if the missus fell off the aeroplane was well worth it

• 2 weeks later...

After pretty much deciding I wasn't going away again this year after putting circa £40k plus of savings into a deposit for a new place I have changed my mind and decided to go away for a week in the sun. I was looking at some of the BA offers in the sale for Barbados but think I'm going to head back to Sharm in October. Guaranteed sunshine and pretty cheap. Plus i've still got the best part of a month of annual leave to take off before the end of the year

Barbados is my favourite Caribbean island but Sharm is also a good choice

Have you looked at the Barons resort in Sharm .. All inclusive so you don't have to worry about your drinks bill ... You even get a free hair cut , not that I'm suggesting anything :)

• Like 1

Absolutely loved Barbados. 

Getting the boom-boxes around the island is certainly an experience. People are very friendly and hospitable. 

Best thing to do is sit in a bar: order a bottle of Mount Gay rum, and a 7up and watch the world go by.

Â