2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

Barbados is my favourite Caribbean island but Sharm is also a good choice

Have you looked at the Barons resort in Sharm .. All inclusive so you don't have to worry about your drinks bill ... You even get a free hair cut , not that I'm suggesting anything :)

I've heard of it.. chap from work always goes there with his wife every year. Really rates it. 

• 2 weeks later...

back from st Petersburg

loved it, very surprised by it, pretty much every building in the centre is 200+ years old, loads of palaces and interesting things, good food, loads of bakeries and coffee shops but it was London prices, £5 for a tea in a fair few places, £6-10 for a pint, its a proper city always got people milling about seemingly at every hour, hermitage was a bit disappointing as I would have preferred to see the palace rather than the art, Catherine's palace is amazing

also never seen so many fit women in one city in my life, the missus even said to me "is it me or do the women out number the men by about 2:1" I think she believed me when I claimed not to have noticed :ph34r:

I did also have a drink and accepted the offer of trying some "real vodka from the homeland" nearly killed me, looked, smelled and tasted like 90% proof potato juice, wouldn't recommend it, stick to the bottles in the shops, £5 for 750cl

back from st Petersburg

loved it, very surprised by it, pretty much every building in the centre is 200+ years old, loads of palaces and interesting things, good food, loads of bakeries and coffee shops but it was London prices, £5 for a tea in a fair few places, £6-10 for a pint, its a proper city always got people milling about seemingly at every hour, hermitage was a bit disappointing as I would have preferred to see the palace rather than the art, Catherine's palace is amazing

also never seen so many fit women in one city in my life, the missus even said to me "is it me or do the women out number the men by about 2:1" I think she believed me when I claimed not to have noticed :ph34r:

I did also have a drink and accepted the offer of trying some "real vodka from the homeland" nearly killed me, looked, smelled and tasted like 90% proof potato juice, wouldn't recommend it, stick to the bottles in the shops, £5 for 750cl

Yeah St Pete's is a quality place

Obviously you weren't looking :) but most of the women don't seem to wear bras either , never seen so many perky ladies in one city ...

Did you go in the potato storage building :)

no I didn't, missed a fair bit, the bridges at midnight cos we didn't know until the last day and peterhof because we didn't have time and chose catherines instead being the main things, went with my mom and her partner and they spent a lot of time stopping in coffee shops and looking at tat which wound me up

eating was probably one of the more obvious differences, the service is shocking, think everything is prepared and cooked to order, so you wait ages for everything, they also served stuff when it was ready, so the 4 of us all got our food at different times, then they took your plate the second you finished it rather than waiting for the 4 of you to finish... was all very strange, pretty much everyone working in a restaurant was young, even the managers, not sure if that was why, but lunch was taking about an hour and half, tea was taking 2hrs+

Mauritius for Christmas with Mrs H and the kids

BA came in £6k more expensive for the flights !! So flying Air Mauritius , I'm sure somebody said they flew them and the plane was held together with sticky tape , but what the hell , it's not like ill need travel insurance or anything :)

Still got 2 free BA flights to use before the end of the year , not sure I have time for long hual but might check out Cyprus and have a few quiet days in the sun by a pool with Mrs H and dump the kids at nanny and grandad's

• Like 1

Is Mauritius another new country for you Tony?

Well, that's Sharm booked for October :)

Where art thou staying, pray tell?

Here:
http://www.savoy-sharm.com/sierra/

Seems to have good reviews :)

Ooh you bastard, that place looks the business.

It certainly does. Been to Egypt 5 out of the last 6 years... always perfect for a October getaway

Well, that's Sharm booked for October :)

Where art thou staying, pray tell?

Here:

http://www.savoy-sharm.com/sierra/

Seems to have good reviews :)

Ooh you bastard, that place looks the business.

It certainly does. Been to Egypt 5 out of the last 6 years... always perfect for a October getaway

I've only been once, but fell in love with the place. Stayed in the Club Magic Life hotel, which was amazing. The diving is amazing, far more Caribbean than European.

No , have been before ... 2 weeks in 1999 My parents have been the last 3 years and rave about how wonderful the resort is for the kids so thought we'd check it out I had my first shark encounter whilst diving in Mauritius so fingers crossed I can experience something similar this time as well Edited by tonyh29

Have you been to St.Lucia Tony?

Reason for asking is that I am also a Barbados fan, but spent a day in St.Lucia on a business trip and it looks....better!

I am thinking of taking the wife down there next year

Have you been to St.Lucia Tony? Reason for asking is that I am also a Barbados fan, but spent a day in St.Lucia on a business trip and it looks....better! I am thinking of taking the wife down there next year
Went to St Lucia around 95 To be fair I didn't go out as much in St Lucia , just the obligatory trip on a boat and trip to the pitons and a visit to Castries Barbados we hired a car and drive around the island , did the caves , boat trips , walked around Bridgetown , road the bang bus to st James and ate in local restaurants etc I rate Barbados over St Lucia but both are .. Well it's the Caribbean isn't it you'd be hard pushed not to enjoy either One of our regular contributors was just in St Lucia , he'll probably have a more up to date opinion on it ( and will say its better than Barbados just so he doesn't have to agree with me :) ) Edited by tonyh29

St Lucia is as good as Barbados. Just got back from SL and its totally different, IMO to Barbados and that makes it certainly interesting. People are very friendly in both, and as with both we toured round the islands and got to see some of the more "off tourist" places and enjoyed a few local beers (and Rums) with the locals. Barbados probably has more beaches but SL has more to see in terms of natural beauty 

Would I go back to SL - Yes

Would I go back to Barbados - Yes 

Thanks guys, I knew that I would bring you together in harmony ;)

Not sure about being hard pushed to enjoy the Caribbean. I wouldn't rush to Grenada or St.Vincent for a holiday, and Antigua, although more tourist orientated, has a distinctly dodgy feel to it. Perhaps that's just Abramovich and Steve Morgan though ;)

anyone ever been to borneo (lets be honest, im looking at you Tony...)

seen a great deal for next year, 3 nights in either kuala lumpur, hong kong or Singapore and then 7 nights in borneo, all 5* for £1050 - 1100

thinking of doing KL (seeing as the hotel was ranked no1 with trip advisor) but im unsure bout borneo

Brace yourself ... I haven't been there

My brother has been ( amateur is only on 45 countries pah ) ..... Good for diving and good for seeing orang-utan in the wild

If you goto KL and want to do the Petronius towers make sure you book in advance ( can do it online now) you will struggle to get up them otherwise

I've just been granted the opportunity to book a weekend in March at a hotel in the center of Birmingham (on Constitution Hill, specifically) for 29 pounds per night... hmmm...

Not that you guys that side of the Atlantic don't like to leave home shores much but I just presumed its Birmingham Alabama :)

• Like 1

Â