2013 Holiday Plans

Xela

anyone ever been to borneo (lets be honest, im looking at you Tony...)

seen a great deal for next year, 3 nights in either kuala lumpur, hong kong or Singapore and then 7 nights in borneo, all 5* for £1050 - 1100

thinking of doing KL (seeing as the hotel was ranked no1 with trip advisor) but im unsure bout borneo

I'm going in March next year, can't wait.

Which part(s) of Borneo are you going to? Presumably Sabah?

anyone ever been to borneo (lets be honest, im looking at you Tony...)

seen a great deal for next year, 3 nights in either kuala lumpur, hong kong or Singapore and then 7 nights in borneo, all 5* for £1050 - 1100

thinking of doing KL (seeing as the hotel was ranked no1 with trip advisor) but im unsure bout borneo

I'm going in March next year, can't wait.

Which part(s) of Borneo are you going to? Presumably Sabah?

I've spent a few nights in Borneo (Kota Kinabalu).. nice place, did a bit of walking and did a boat trip to a few islands in the South China Sea (I think!). Wish i'd spent longer there but it was only a short stop between Indonesia and Philippines

Is it a Shangri-La hotel?

Of the 3 cities, Hong Kong is my favourite by far. Not saying Singapore or KL are bad (I enjoyed both) but HK is much more vibrant. 

Edited by Xela

Sounds like you're doing a very similar trip to me. Going early April, 3 nights in KL (Traders Hotel) followed by 7 nights at the Shangri-La Rasa Ria, just outside Kota Kinabalu. Can't wait - hotels look great, and there's a sanctuary for young oragutans next to the Rasa Ria.

yeah that's the hotel, my only worry with it is the rasa ria will be a bit isolated and being a bit on the posh side it costing a fortune, the KL hotel I can venture out and find something else so that doesn't bother me, but in borneo if its £4 a pint and £30 a head for food it'll take the shine off

villa4europe, on 02 Oct 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

yeah that's the hotel, my only worry with it is the rasa ria will be a bit isolated and being a bit on the posh side it costing a fortune, the KL hotel I can venture out and find something else so that doesn't bother me, but in borneo if its £4 a pint and £30 a head for food it'll take the shine off

I can recommend changkat bukit bintang for a night out ..  easy to get to on the mono rail .. getting home is another issue altogether :)

they had cider on draft as well , can't recall how much it was for a pint though

Shillzz, on 02 Oct 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Tony how is it you've managed to visit Brunei, but not Borneo?

I was travelling to Australia but was coming in from the Philippines as I'd been there for a couple of days

I could have probably gone direct , but the Royal Brunei flight Manila to Brisbane gave me the opportunity for a stop over and so I took it and spent a day in Bandar Seri Begawan

not sure if FB links work but there are a couple of pics of Bandar on this album if you are curious , obviously I didn't explore the country too far but BSB itself you could probably be done with in about 2-3 hours ( which was pretty much my goal )

Shillzz, on 02 Oct 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Tony how is it you've managed to visit Brunei, but not Borneo?

I was travelling to Australia but was coming in from the Philippines as I'd been there for a couple of days

I could have probably gone direct , but the Royal Brunei flight Manila to Brisbane gave me the opportunity for a stop over and so I took it and spent a day in Bandar Seri Begawan

not sure if FB links work but there are a couple of pics of Bandar on this album if you are curious , obviously I didn't explore the country too far but BSB itself you could probably be done with in about 2-3 hours ( which was pretty much my goal )

That'd explain it - I couldn't work out which route Brunei would be a stopover on.

Love the idea of an Oceania tour - Fiji and Samoa look amazing.

Yeah Tonga and the Whales was the highlight for me  , swam with about 10 Humpbacks all in all

but Fiji and diving with about 40 sharks was also pretty cool B)

Fiji is a great place for activities , probably one I'll take the kids to once they are older ( I'm doing the reconnaissance for them with my trips :) )

Probably bored you all before with this but I basically turned 40 in Auckland , had a night out  .. went to bed woke up did a boat trip around Auckland harbour in the morning  ( with a raging hangover I might add!!) then caught a flight to Samoa , crossed the Date line and touched down at Apia being 39 again ... and celebrated my 40th with another mad night out ( and another hang over ouch)

Yeah Tonga and the Whales was the highlight for me  , swam with about 10 Humpbacks all in all

but Fiji and diving with about 40 sharks was also pretty cool B)

Fiji is a great place for activities , probably one I'll take the kids to once they are older ( I'm doing the reconnaissance for them with my trips :) )

Probably bored you all before with this but I basically turned 40 in Auckland , had a night out  .. went to bed woke up did a boat trip around Auckland harbour in the morning  ( with a raging hangover I might add!!) then caught a flight to Samoa , crossed the Date line and touched down at Apia being 39 again ... and celebrated my 40th with another mad night out ( and another hang over ouch)

THAT is the way to do it.

Am doing a reasonable portion of that part of the world in a few months, but sadly didn't have the time nor funding to stretch to Fiji, which i'm beginning to regret.

yeah its a Shangri la hotel, HK would probably be my preferred choice but the hotel in KL looked a lot better (not that i'd spend much time in the hotel anyway)

KL is a good night out.. plenty of places to eat and drink. Check out Beach Club Cafe... its a good laugh. Loads of videos on Youtube

There isn't that much in Kota Kinabalu entertainment wise to be honest. Best to just relax there  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like my girlfriend's cousin in Australia has bought my tickets for the ashes in Melbourne over Christmas. I think we're going to see the 3rd day of the 4th test. I'm not a massive cricket fan (in fact I think it's really boring) but I'm really excited to go and see it in person.

Â