The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think the TV deal had something to do with him chilling out with the sale if the club. A man in his financial position would have known about this sooner than us.

There's always a new TV deal every 5 years...we will have him forever if this is true.

• Like 1

An Irish Journo (who's a villa fan IIRC) was on the radio last night saying the apparently Lerner had all but shaken hands on a deal to sell the club to a consortium last summer but backed out at the last minute when he thought the club would be worth a lot more after the new TV deal. Not sure how well sourced his info is but I thought it was interesting.

Link to the article please?

;)

I am very hungover and my brain is mush. :wacko: Cheers Stevo  ;)

• Like 1

So Lambert asked Lerner to sack him on two occassions...hmmm

Sack who?

Himself, apparently.

Would love to know wha tLambert said, if true, "Please Randy, please sack me, I just can't do it anymore" #DontForgetMyCompensation

Probably media bullshit though

• Like 1

Why Krulak felt the need to say anything to anyone is beyond me.

Lambert left with a little dignity what with his nice letter and all, Lerner comes out and says that Lambert did a good job for him as far as he's concerned - it all ended quite well considering.

Then Krulak comes out and gives a negative slant of everything by talking about money and boring football?

Unless he was contacted directly by the Sun (in which case he should know better than to give negative sound bites), then he should have just kept his trap shut.

Silly bugger.

what did he exactly say?

Why Krulak felt the need to say anything to anyone is beyond me.

Lambert left with a little dignity what with his nice letter and all, Lerner comes out and says that Lambert did a good job for him as far as he's concerned - it all ended quite well considering.

Then Krulak comes out and gives a negative slant of everything by talking about money and boring football?

Unless he was contacted directly by the Sun (in which case he should know better than to give negative sound bites), then he should have just kept his trap shut.

Silly bugger.

what did he exactly say?

He said that Lambert is a big silly doo doo head!

I just can't get my head around it, he's a 72 year old war veteran for gods sake..

• Like 1

Lerner needs to sort out the footballing structure at his club asap. Why he hasn't got a football director/director of football at the club I don't know. We haven't had a football man on the board since Steve Stride left in 2007 and with Lerner not here very often, we need one.  With O'Neill we didn't have one and the man had too much freedom to spend money on players when we had the budget to seriously challenge the top four.The modern successful way is to have a proper back office structure so when you do decide to let go of your manager/head coach, there is a smooth transition and you don't start from the beginning  again in terms of tactics, and player recruitment. As well as being not interested Lerner lack of successful operations management since 2010 could well lead to the unthinkable. It's like they are surprised that Lambert had to go and we have to bring someone in- this has been building up for at least 2 months now. Not pro-active at all.

it seems like he will get every penny out of us that he can 

Like all the pennies he's taken out of us so far? The guy has spent a fortune, of his own money, keeping the club solvent since he took over FFS. Yes, it's his bad management of operations that means it's cost him so much, BUT this idea that him not spending money on transfers and cutting the wage bill is doing anything other than reducing the amount of his own money it's costing him a year is a ridiculous one. Go look at the financial reports for his tenure and try to claim that he's asset stripping to line his pockets. He's not. Even during the austerity measures he's been pumping in the upper limit he's allowed to by FFP

• Like 2

Like all the pennies he's taken out of us so far? The guy has spent a fortune, of his own money, keeping the club solvent since he took over FFS. Yes, it's his bad management of operations that means it's cost him so much, BUT this idea that him not spending money on transfers and cutting the wage bill is doing anything other than reducing the amount of his own money it's costing him a year is a ridiculous one. Go look at the financial reports for his tenure and try to claim that he's asset stripping to line his pockets. He's not. Even during the austerity measures he's been pumping in the upper limit he's allowed to by FFP

Yeah, some of the criticism is ridiculous. I wonder if anyone can name one person in the history of the planet that's put more money in to AVFC than Randy Lerner?

As for those having a pop at him trying to sell for as much as he can, what's wrong with that? He's entitled to try and make as much money as he wants to off the sale of the club. I'm sure when you sell your home, you don't just say "Yeah mate, you can have it for £10k on the promise you do a better job maintaining it than I did".

Yeah, some of the criticism is ridiculous. I wonder if anyone can name one person in the history of the planet that's put more money in to AVFC than Randy Lerner?

As for those having a pop at him trying to sell for as much as he can, what's wrong with that? He's entitled to try and make as much money as he wants to off the sale of the club. I'm sure when you sell your home, you don't just say "Yeah mate, you can have it for £10k on the promise you do a better job maintaining it than I did".

Completely different scenario.

As an owner of a football club he has a responsibility to the fans. He said himself he was just a custodian of the club.

I'm amazed there are fans with the attitude you've shown in that post. You seem more concerned that Lerner gets his money back than the direction this club is heading thanks to his decision making and the poor way in which he's run this club.

Does anyone actually know for certain how much of Lerner's own money he has invested, and lost, on this club? Not talking about initial purchase because that doesn't count as, if I buy something I know that there's every chance it will depreciate in value.

Just how much, since the purchase, has he spent on this club?

I just checked a transfer deals website and totalled our net spend for the 8 years he's been here. It's approx £100m. That's £12.5m per season on average. Is that really such a crippling amount to spend on players? Even if wages to turnover was an average of 70% during that time, against an average turnover of say £75m, that would leave £22.5m per year. Minus the £12.5m on players still leaves £10m for other outgoings per year.

I'm no finance man and don't have all the figures etc. I'm just looking at very basic information and wondering if he's actually ploughed millions of his own money into us, at a loss or, has he simply lost the money that we would have had to pay him in interest? Which, if it is just interest, isn't a loss in my opinion.

Edited by villarocker

Awww... Boo hoo...A multi-millionaire buys our club, gets bored and treats it like crap while we all suffer watching it... and your worried about him getting his money back...

Last time I checked, when someone sells a house, there isn't the interest and hopes of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide to consider...

Â