The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Man City will just get a slap in the wrist and a small fine, they will continue getting vast amounts of money spent on them. Our new owners will have to be clever in how they invest money and the deals arranged, but money can still be pumped in.

Does anybody else think FFP is a farce and will not be around long in its current form? Is it also not against European laws to restrict what an owner can spend on their own business?

Yes I think the same.

Does anybody else think FFP is a farce and will not be around long in its current form? Is it also not against European laws to restrict what an owner can spend on their own business?

Independent legal opinion appears to be that FFP is both unnecessary and incomplete. It unfairly penalises smaller clubs that wish to compete with bigger clubs. In that respect it is probably anti competitive and as such risky to impose. It will also be challenged as restrictive practice by the bigger clubs if it interferes with their year on year investment plans.

I think EUFA know that they are going to be bombarded by legal challenges if they use draconian punishments, so will seek to negotiate individual settlements where rule breaches are proven. EUFA will be aware that potentially they can be sued for multi millions if they get this wrong.

Edited by villabromsgrove
  • Like 2

But UEFA aren't making the decisions.

Edit: Incomplete post.

They aren't making the decisions which is why they won't have to explain themselves or settle with anyone. They're being challenged (not sued) by a money grabbing agent on the legality of the rules but they fully believe that they had the backing of the European Commission when drafting them.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

The owner can spend as much as they want, however beyond a certain point there will be associated costs.

Just like clubs under transfer embargoes aren't restricted from employing new players, only from registering them as players for any competition that falls under uefa and FIFA

Edited by P3te

I remember 2 clubs opposed the FFP rules and voted against them

Fulham, who got taken over 12 months later and us, who appear to be on the verge of a takeover 24 months later

makes me wonder if randy knew he selling up years ago

Wonder if the names being leaked has played any part in him coming over.

Looking at it he has 'spoken' twice in the past week, showing support for Faulkner and Lambert, and accepting responsibility for the general situation, attempting to remove the heat from the two guys running the club.

So, prior to yesterday's revelations, I expected him to show up this week, probably just for the day, to show his support by way of his physical presence.

I know that we disagree over Randy Lerner, but he is a decent man who doesn't hide.

Unsure whether I am allowed to post this here, but I'll make one final run at risking the wrath of a 'moderator'

Randy Lerner will shortly arrive in Birmingham for his first visit since September.

Very interesting indeed. I would imagine any talks would have been ongoing in the USA. As most potential buyers have been American.

So what is he doing here?

If I remember correctly around about this time last year when we were also in a relegation battle It was said that he came over to give a bit of a pep talk to some of the staff about sticking together and stuff like that.

Â