The Randy Lerner thread

CI

So he hasn't done anything of merit during his entire tenure?

On the pitch? Not at all.

I didn't ask that.

We're a football club that's the main thing that counts.

Pretty selfish attitude though isn't it? Forget all those kids RL potentially helped with the Acorns sponsorship deal and his huge donation because a few blokes who kick a ball about on a Saturday afternoon haven't done very well!

Football clubs are not just about what happens on the pitch these days. You repeat the same views over and over again as if repeating them makes them more valuable. For what purpose? To be able to say, 'I told you so', because that's how it comes across.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

PPS - and a cup semi final in the same season.

PPPS - and another cup semi-final last year.

He may not have ultimately had enough in the tank to get us where we wanted to be, the promised land of the Champions League, but he gave it a good go while he could.

• Like 1

PPS - and a cup semi final in the same season.

PPPS - and another cup semi-final last year.

He may not have ultimately had enough in the tank to get us where we wanted to be, the promised land of the Champions League, but he gave it a good go while he could.

Pretty much sums up my views. He needs to move on now but I think some are a bit blinded by the bad parts of his tenure and forget the good aspects.

So he hasn't done anything of merit during his entire tenure?

On the pitch? Not at all.

I didn't ask that.
We're a football club that's the main thing that counts.

Pretty selfish attitude though isn't it? Forget all those kids RL potentially helped with the Acorns sponsorship deal and his huge donation, a few blokes who kick a ball about haven't done very well!

Football clubs are not just about what happens on the pitch these days. You repeat the same views over and over again as if repeating them makes them more valuable. For what purpose? To be able to say, 'I told you so', because that's how it comes across.

Haha

Clutching at straws no aren't we.

I think everything we did for acorns was superb. We're a football club though and I don't think doing work for charity justifies the shit side of the main point of this club. We could still do all that good work and do better. Didn't Doug get awarded for his charity work? Did you bang on about that to people who wanted him gone?

PS - we got to our first cup final in, what, 14 years too.

We won it under Doug but he's hardly spoken about with kind words.

Randy got us there having inherited the mess at the end of the DOL era.

Ellis got us there after dismantling THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE and getting them relegated in the process AND lining his own pockets into the bargain.

Hardly a fair comparison is it?

Do you think Leeds fans praise risdale for getting to a semi in the champs league at the moment?

Spending money with no clear plan for the future is hardly worthy of praise. Any idiot with money can spend it.

Do you think Leeds fans praise risdale for getting to a semi in the champs league at the moment?

Spending money with no clear plan for the future is hardly worthy of praise. Any idiot with money can spend it.

Bankrupt now then are we?

image-2-for-saturday-mail-gallery-566152

to this, in four years...

article-2273320-17575A20000005DC-384_634

• Like 2

So you can only be unhappy if it leads to that?

Those highlights you pointed out led to 4 consecutive relegation battles and record breaking lows. The point is spending without care isn't worthy of praise when it results in such struggles because like I said any idiot with money can spend it.

image-2-for-saturday-mail-gallery-566152

to this, in four years...

article-2273320-17575A20000005DC-384_634

What's the point? This just adds to the idea he gets defended because he's not Doug.

Sorry.  Thought you asked me about Leeds fans.

I'm not clutching at straws because I, like you, want Lerner gone for the good of the club. However, your one-eyed approach towards the man is ridiculous. You're acting like an ungrateful child. Did Lerner have to buy the club and spend all of that money?

He's made mistakes. More mistakes than good decisions. However, you are failing to give him any credit for absolutely anything which is totally unfair. Things haven't been great on the playing side, but a football club isn't just about the playing side anymore.

Look at Man City. Look at what they've done to that area of Manchester. The football is 90 minutes a week. What RL has done behind the scenes for the infrastructure, charities and fans has been magnificent. If you want to completely disregard that because of what happens on the pitch then that's fine. I, however, think that you're doing a disservice to him.

Nice bloke, misguided football club owner.

So you defended Doug for his charity work when people wanted him out did you?

Clutch that randy Lerner straw.

Sorry. Thought you asked me about Leeds fans.

I think the point I was making was clear. Notice you couldn't argue against it.

Personally have mixed feelings over Lerner.

He has many good attributes & has acted with class & dignity throughout his tenure here.

The real downside for me is his appointment & blind faith in Falkner & the way he allowed us to risk relegation over the past 3 seasons. Had it not been for Wigans cup run, we would not be playing in the PL this season & this takeover would not be happening. Oh & the General was another ridiculous character who should never have been let anywhere near the public.

Sorry. Thought you asked me about Leeds fans.

I think the point I was making was clear. Notice you couldn't argue against it.

Thought I'd take your approach of not answering the question posed.

What's the point? This just adds to the idea he gets defended because he's not Doug.

And you're just adding to the idea that he should be toasted because he's not Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan.

Then you're not reading my point or just making it up. If you think my issue with Lerner is based solely on what he's spent then you're wrong.

Â