Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Yes, really really liked this guy's energy and movement around the pitch towards the end of last season. Shows how well he's done to move from the reaction of "who? from where?" only eight months ago to most of us being genuinely concerned that he's missing our first game of the season and feeling our team is weaker without him.

Have a feeling he's going to become one of my favourite players over the next few years.

Disagree with that, I thought Bacuna was the better player of the two in preseason. He impressed me. KEA had some nice touches, the flick to Benteke was definitely classy, but he was also careless in possession quite often.

The few times he played in midfield whilst he wasn't poor, I didn't think he offered much on the ball. KEA can produce moments of quality which is why I'd go for him now Sylla is out.

Pretty sure Bacuna set up a couple of goals in pre-season with some nice crosses and then scored than screamer with his left foot into the top corner. That was more than KEA did IMO.

Be interesting to see if he possibly gets a run out tomorrow. Could see him possibly starting just so KEA can get some rest considering this will be the third match in 7 days.

Yep, and KEA has been gassing it round more than most. I think KEA will keep his place though and be replaced around the hour mark by Sylla or maybe Tonev depending where the game is.

Be interesting to see if he possibly gets a run out tomorrow. Could see him possibly starting just so KEA can get some rest considering this will be the third match in 7 days.

Yep, and KEA has been gassing it round more than most. I think KEA will keep his place though and be replaced around the hour mark by Sylla or maybe Tonev depending where the game is.

Yeah I reckon if we stick to the formation we've played recently, Sylla and KEA will alternate a bit just because of the position they play in pressing the ball higher up the bitch requires so much running and stamina. Like you said though, wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Sylla come on later, although definitely depends on if we are chasing or holding a lead. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see Sylla return to the team next game. We went on a great run when he came into the side from January and he's a better player than KEA. 

I agree. Not sure exactly what the stats are but we seemed to have a very good record with him in the team.

I'd like to see Sylla return to the team next game. We went on a great run when he came into the side from January and he's a better player than KEA. 

I don't think KEA has done too much wrong this season to be honest, but I agree that Sylla needs to come in... no idea who for or how you accommodate him though. The problem is that the midfielders are all playing reasonably well at the moment, but we're still lacking in the middle. It's a strange one, and it's likely down to finding a balance we haven't figured out yet. Maybe if we start Tonev instead of Andi in the next game we can afford to try something a little different along the lines of...

------Sylla-----Westwood----

------------Delph---------------

Gabby------------------Tonev

I don't think that we can play Weimann and not play KEA though, given that he's done quite well, and is the older head in there. Tonev seems like he'll wander a bit, which is good, you want him all over the pitch, sometimes in with Delph, sometimes behind Benteke, sometimes swapping with Gabby. Honestly though,  I think the issue is that although all our CMs are decent, and performing reasonably well, they're pretty similar

It is vital that Sylla starts to get some game time in that anchoring midfield role, he'd be able to much provide better cover for our defenders than KEA or Westwood when we have to push on.

Hope he starts ahead of KEA against Norwich, we'll no doubt be trying to play on the break being as it is away, we'll need him in there.

We need that drive in midfield to create more space and uncertainty over who to mark in our opponents. 

Westwood and KEA don't drive forward with the ball, they always look to move the ball on immediately, and when they come up against their man and can't make the obvious pass to the nearest guy, they pass it backwards. It's retarded, and even if they manage to pass it on to any of the nearest guys, they would have already been closed down. In our midfield only Delph is able to drive the ball forward and create space for the team. Westwood and KEA are so predictable to play against. Forget premier league opposition, any decently organised league 1 midfield would find defending against KEA/Westwood pretty easy. Delph is the only wildcard in there. 

Yea, and my point is Sylla provides something different. At this point I think we should try Bacuna, Delph and Sylla, to provide strong running from midfield and directness. 

Edited by Alpaywasawesome

Â