Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Yes the football this season has been somewhat more entertaining (for the neutrals anyway...) than last season, which really isn't saying much.

But if i was given the choice of staying up with McLeish or being relegated with Lambert then the choice is easy

Yes the football this season has been somewhat more entertaining (for the neutrals anyway...) than last season, which really isn't saying much.

But if i was given the choice of staying up with McLeish or being relegated with Lambert then the choice is easy

So far the choice is a relegation fight with McLeish or a relegation fight with Lambert, and that's an easy choice as well.

What is that choice? I'd rather go down with Lambert, with a clear vision and future for the club than stay up with McLeish and watch the same uninspiring dross every week just to stay up again by 1 point. What's the point of even existing if we're going to do that?

Playing entertaining is very cool - especially for the fans of teams that do such a thing.

However, what we are doing is far, far away from being entertaining. In fact, I would say only a handful does it worse than us in terms of pure eye-candy, like Stoke etc.

Say what you want about Lambert, but saying he has introduced passing football and entertainment to Villa Park is a lie.

So far the choice is a relegation fight with McLeish or a relegation fight with Lambert, and that's an easy choice as well.

Yes no doubt

What is that choice? I'd rather go down with Lambert, with a clear vision and future for the club than stay up with McLeish and watch the same uninspiring dross every week just to stay up again by 1 point. What's the point of even existing if we're going to do that?

You don't think that "clear vision" would take a bit of a knock by being relegated and losing all the PL money? 

But it's rare to win titles and consistently feature in europe winning ugly.

Winning and playing entwining football in the main go hand in hand

Playing functional football that can involve smash and grab of hoof ball will only take you so far....it's unusual to win titles with this style of football, the odd cup yes, but not sustainable challenges for trophies.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to take two steps forward....ultimately that's what I think we are trying to do.

Problem is when the end result is not exactly in sight....few can see it.

• Like 4

Football is about playing matches and trying to win. Being "entertaining" and losing loads of matches/dropping needless points is a failure.

We didn't stay up last year by trying to win though. We deserved to go down. We bloody drew 17 matches. And we've won more this year so by your reasoning we fit the philosophy of 'football' better, no?

I'll just reiterate my point. I'd rather go down with Lambert than stay up with McLeish. Another season of McLeish and we would have gone down anyway, and I believe (all in my opinion) we actually have a plan for the future these days. Look at most other fans/pundits. They say if we stay up, we'll have a real decent team next year. They can see what we're trying to do. I'd even hazard to say that the people who constantly question Lambert and his vision for the future are completely one-eyed. 

And guys, football doesn't die if we don't play in the Premiership. Maybe it would do some of our fans some good and maybe humble a few as well*

*Disclaimer. I do not want us to go down. I'd be gutted. Just gotta put this here but I'll get destroyed for this comment otherwise.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to take two steps forward....ultimately that's what I think we are trying to do.

I'm one of Lambert's biggest critics as i thought he would change us into another Norwich. Full of endeavour with players giving 100% but lacking that overall quality to be nothing more than a mid table team.

I could say i was right and i could even say with our current position that Lambert hasn't even achieved what he did with Norwich but what i will say is that i can see what he is trying to do and it's a little unfair to maybe accuse critics of lambert of being short sighted.

Thats not what i have been criticising him for as i know he is trying to build a new young vibrant team with literally one arm tied behind his back concerning finance. Even taking that restriction into consideration the majority of his signings have been good and some even more than that.

Basic planing of what system he was going to play has and still is my major gripe with him and it is the main reason where we are at the moment.

What i have noted though that since the system change, the players are playing for the manager and obviously they believe in what lambert is trying to do.

I just sincerely hope that with a bit of luck and our excellent forwards knocking in more goals than we concede, Lambert's initial mistake won't prove fatal and we will be allowed to see what Lambert can do next season in the Premiership.

I'm one of Lambert's biggest critics as i thought he would change us into another Norwich. Full of endeavour with players giving 100% but lacking that overall quality to be nothing more than a mid table team.

I could say i was right and i could even say with our current position that Lambert hasn't even achieved what he did with Norwich but what i will say is that i can see what he is trying to do and it's a little unfair to maybe accuse critics of lambert of being short sighted.

Thats not what i have been criticising him for as i know he is trying to build a new young vibrant team with literally one arm tied behind his back concerning finance. Even taking that restriction into consideration the majority of his signings have been good and some even more than that.

Basic planing of what system he was going to play has and still is my major gripe with him and it is the main reason where we are at the moment.

What i have noted though that since the system change, the players are playing for the manager and obviously they believe in what lambert is trying to do.

I just sincerely hope that with a bit of luck and our excellent forwards knocking in more goals than we concede, Lambert's initial mistake won't prove fatal and we will be allowed to see what Lambert can do next season in the Premiership.

His record at Norwich was nothing short of sensation, Double promotion and then midtable in the premiere league. Given time I think he will get it right at Villa

• Like 1

There was never seriously a relegation fight with McLeish last year. At the equivalent point in 2012 we were 6 points clear of the bottom 3 and it was fairly implausible that we could be caught over the next 5 matches. Fair play to McLeish, he had a jolly good go at doing the implausible and got us within 2 points of the drop zone but our early season form always put us in a strong position to withstand the effects of a typical end-of-season McSlump.

This season we have been in real peril of going down for most of the season, and still are . It may be more "entertaining" for fans of a certain disposition but it has also been crap, crap, crap to see our defence leaking so many stupid goals and our forwards struggling to score barely one per game. I don't really see how you would choose one over the other. Both seasons have been totally unacceptable.

So Lambert is some kind of messiah or visionary? Or are you saying that you're just a lot smarter than the average fan. 

I think most people, like me are lukewarm on Lambert. I do struggle to see why some people are fiercely behind him. Football league and Premier League as a whole a manager lasts around 2 seasons (although Premier League figures are a lot higher due to Ferguson, Wenger and Moyes). 

There's not much reason to think Lambert will be much different. Let's face it, even if he turns out to be a managerial genius,the result will be that he jumps ship for a better job when one comes along. 

• Like 1