Paul Lambert

Pilchard

BAD:

Tactical naivety at times, especially persisting with 5-3-2, and some odd substitutions

Hasn't managed to improve our general defending enough, although he has sorted us out from set-pieces.

Alienated a good player in Darren Bent

GOOD:

Good eye for a player. Some absolute gems in there and no expensive flops.

Nice style to watch.

Upward trajectory of performances.

Long-term plan for how to grow the club. 

Has succeeded in getting the best out of the likes of Delph and N'Zogbia who looked like they might be heading for the scrapheap but are now important players.

I'm really looking forward to the next few years - I just hope we stay up.

Some of the GOOD things are very very subjective, what nice style? Worst defense a Villa team has had in the Prem and one of the worst attacking teams to boot. I don't find 50 yard passes that cut right through our defence to be anything near being a nice style, but that's just me.

These GOODs and BADs sound a bit like :

Bad :

- small boobs

- short legs

- ugly face

Good :

- nice personality

- can cook pizza

- good with kids

Anyway, don't want to get in an argument, but I find your stance a bit too aggressive. Fwiw I think Lambert should stay mostly because I don't think Villa would be able to attract a better manager, whether we stay up or not, and because I hope he's learnt from his mistakes, but there's no denying he's been terrible tactically and apparently isn't very good at inspiring a team too.

Be fair, the bad are subjective too. I see the consistent use of straw man arguments in the likes of this. So you're saying the guy has an opinion on something so it can't be relevant? Your last statement is pretty **** subjective too! I don't think he has been 'terrible' tactically, and I definitely don't think people look unmotivated in the team. Yes, these are my subjective opinions 100%. The 352 is the only place where I waiver on this but I also appreciate that was during a period where we had a lot of injuries—and that we did get results with that formation too. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Anyone who says this season has not been an improvement when it comes to style on last season, in my subjective opinion, is beyond help. It seems some people don't expect any setbacks whatsoever. It's ok to have a transitional period but nothing can ever go wrong. We've been shit for years but it must involve perfection to sort that out. It's magic wand thinking. Magic wands don't exist. 

At the very least, we are a team with potential now, where there was none before—whatever happens this season. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

To dismiss it with hyperbole does not make you right! I don't think he should suggest it was the sole reason

So we agree then. So it does make me right.

Methinks somebody likes to argue more than they like to think. Whatever comes naturally, eh.

I don't get your point. I said it was ridiculous to say the Chelsea game was the reason for us performing so poor, you said you didn't think it should be the sole reason. You're agreeing with me yet still jumped on my post to somehow tell me that. You then say that I like to argue when you're the one who did what I described above. Ridiculous.

I don't think he has been 'terrible' tactically,

Narrow diamond formation with no width.

3 at the back.

One of the worst teams at holding on to a lead in the league

One of the worst teams for getting something when going behind in the league.

The ridiculous decisions during the Bradford game.

I don't think he's been good tactically at all.

• Like 1

apparently isn't very good at inspiring a team too.

I think the sudden glimmer of ability shown from Delph and N'Zogbia, as well as the general togetherness of the team, shows that Lambert must be doing something right in regards to inspiration.

3 at the back.

tactics really are overhyped mauinly due tio thinks like FM. at end of the day 11 players go on the pitch to do a job

3 at the back.

Just like to point out that those aren't "tactics"

It's just to point out that the 3 in the back formation was ridiculous from the start and that, in general, there is a concerning lack of width and a proclivity towards long ball especially when we are chasing a game, but saying that we can't hold on to a lead or can't get something when falling behind and mushrooming it under "tactics" is disingenuous.

Short of PL suddenly reverting to 3 in the back and telling everyone to get forward when we have the lead, you can't possibly say those two things are tactics.

But I suspect you'll find other reasons to have a moan.

3 at the back.

It's just to point out that the 3 in the back formation was ridiculous from the start and that, in general, there is a concerning lack of width and a proclivity towards long ball especially when we are chasing a game, but saying that we can't hold on to a lead or can't get something when falling behind and mushrooming it under "tactics" is disingenuous.

Short of PL suddenly reverting to 3 in the back and telling everyone to get forward when we have the lead, you can't possibly say those two things are tactics.

Yes I agree but winning at Norwich 4-1 and then Liverpool 3-1 made Lambert believe it was the way to go.

but we wont them 2 games and think beat Reading with same tactics so could argue it wasnt that bad overall its just its remembered as a stick to beat him with when we took some beatings.

It was only played due to Vlaar injury as defence was too inexperienced

3 at the back.One of the worst teams at holding on to a lead in the league

You don't think tactics play a big part in holding on to a lead or getting back into a game? Really?

3 at the back.

tactics really are overhyped mauinly due tio thinks like FM. at end of the day 11 players go on the pitch to do a job

You make management sound very easy.

I'm saying you can have the right tactics and still give up the lead.

At some point, the players have to be held responsible instead of placing everything at fault with Lambert.

To dismiss it with hyperbole does not make you right! I don't think he should suggest it was the sole reason

I never said it was the sole reason! I said it was a major factor. There's a difference. It's that word nuance again.

Fair enough you may disagree but I think that result had a massive bearing on the proceeding weeks.

I never said it was the sole reason! I said it was a major factor. There's a difference. It's that word nuance again.

Fair enough you may disagree but I think that result had a massive bearing on the proceeding weeks.

You said

The reason for that is the Chelsea game

Nice to see some reasonable comments for BJ10 to ignore and twist.

You should spend more time trying to back up your opinions. Especially when talking about comments to ignore.

A bit like when i asked you what evidence you were basing the opinion that we had a manager who changes things for the good during games on?

Haha you seemed to ignore that one.

Oh well, probably easier for you to moan at other posters than attempt to put your view out there and actually back it up.

Edited by Big_John_10

I'm saying you can have the right tactics and still give up the lead.

At some point, the players have to be held responsible instead of placing everything at fault with Lambert.

That will happen on occassions.

When you're one of the worst in the league at keeping a lead or coming back in a game though i think its fair to question the tactical decisions the manager is making during the game.

You said

The reason for what is the Chelsea game, John? It's a bit desperate when you have to quote so selectively that what you pull out doesn't even make sense. 

Sorry I thought you'd be aware of what you originally posted.

You said its the reason we haven't pulled away from the relegation zone, its the reason we aren't sitting in a comfortable mid table place right now and it's the reason we probably didn't win our first trophy in years.

You didn't say it's a major factor when mentioning the above.

You said

Sorry I thought you'd be aware of what you originally posted.

You said its the reason we haven't pulled away from the relegation zone, its the reason we aren't sitting in a comfortable mid table place right now and it's the reason we probably didn't win our first trophy in years.

You didn't say it's a major factor when mentioning the above.

You said

If I knew how to do gifs I'd probably do one that showed someone yawning. 

• Like 1