Paul Lambert

Pilchard

So i see the usual pre match drum beating is going on again lol!

" We must sweat blood against Newcastle" blah blah blah lol!

I'll say it again...

You either "talk the talk" or you "walk the walk"

It appears our lot are very good at the first of those two options...

Do the talking on the pitch for goodness sake!

I think maybe the money for this transfer month was coming from the sale of Bent. I think if Lambert played him more we would have maybe sold him and have the funds to strengthen. People who say he is doing well under the circumstances, please justify me doing well, because at the moment I see nothing good!!!!

So i see the usual pre match drum beating is going on again lol!

" We must sweat blood against Newcastle" blah blah blah lol!

I'll say it again...

You either "talk the talk" or you "walk the walk"

It appears our lot are very good at the first of those two options...

Do the talking on the pitch for goodness sake!

Fear not, my lord, we will not stand to prate;

Talkers are no good doers: be assured

We should use our feet (sic) and not our tongues.

Shakespeare's Richard III :)

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Id say more a Ford mondeo with a 50cc moped engine powering it.

Where anyone gets we are anything more than a bog standard average premiership team from is beyond me.

What is it that you have seen since 1982 that makes us a Rolls Royce? And even 1982 was a one off. 

I see what you are saying Woodytom... but I think we have been a victim of circumstance and changing goalposts...

1992-93 - finished 2nd in Premier League Season 1 - these days, that would have been Champions League Football. We missed the boat there and didn't strengthen when we needed to - culminating in the 1994 League Cup win, then 1994-95 and near relegation.

1995-96 - WON the League Cup, FA Cup Semi (never a 3-0 game while I have a hole in my arse) and, finished 4th in Premier League Season 4 - these days, that would have been Champions League Football. We went on to dally with a League Title in a following season under John Gregory, throwing it all away after being top at Christmas.

So... Rolls Royce or Ford Mondeo - we have had chances to be BIG since 1982. It's just that our placings have never been fashionable until UEFA changed the goal posts and let any old mucker into the Champions League.

And, if Chelsea can get so badly bullied in the final of the ECL, (just like we did in 1982), and eventually win it. Anyone with an ounce of ambition can get there... It's just how long you are prepared to persist.

Right now, we're a Mondeo with more than one flat tire. But we can be repaired.

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy at Aston Villa's news conference ahead of Tuesday's home game to Newcastle United: "Paul Lambert says the message from Aston Villa's owner Randy Lerner is 'keep on fighting'. Lambert said he had another supportive, encouraging phone call from Lerner after Friday's FA Cup exit at Millwall."

Its like asking an army to hold an indefensible position without reinforcements!

Woodytom, on 27 Jan 2013 - 19:26, said:snapback.png

Id say more a Ford mondeo with a 50cc moped engine powering it.

Where anyone gets we are anything more than a bog standard average premiership team from is beyond me.

What is it that you have seen since 1982 that makes us a Rolls Royce? And even 1982 was a one off.

Ok Maybe Rolls Royce was a little ambitious ... Although i would say we were a vintage Rolls Royce of sorts once upon a time.. BMW sounds about right now maybe?.. Considered glamorous by some but no match for the real big boys.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

The Chairman said: “In the time that I’ve come to know Paul what is clear above all else is his strength of character and belief in his approach to football. Fortunes can shift quickly in this game and a sense that one has it right can become grave doubt in a matter of a few games. The Villa Board knew that with Paul we would begin to address the Club’s multi-year lack of competitive stability by reshaping the squad with seven new signings in the summer. It has been rewarding at times this season although certainly frustrating as well, particularly recently. During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised, which I know also can be frustrating as fresh players always give at least a sense of progress and optimism. Finally, and on a very personal note, I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us.”

Official statement? That means he is getting sacked doesn't it. It's like the dreaded vote of confidence.

Not in real life, perhaps in Football Manager life.

The Chairman said: “In the time that I’ve come to know Paul what is clear above all else is his strength of character and belief in his approach to football. Fortunes can shift quickly in this game and a sense that one has it right can become grave doubt in a matter of a few games. The Villa Board knew that with Paul we would begin to address the Club’s multi-year lack of competitive stability by reshaping the squad with seven new signings in the summer. It has been rewarding at times this season although certainly frustrating as well, particularly recently. During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised, which I know also can be frustrating as fresh players always give at least a sense of progress and optimism. Finally, and on a very personal note, I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us.”

Give him support then, you feckin' arse-hat!

Edited by Shillzz

Not in real life, perhaps in Football Manager life.

That was always the way in the '80s. The board would hold a meeting and the manager would get a vote of confidence. Then he'd be sacked after the next game.

"Finally, and on a very personal note, I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us.” - This is just hilarious.