Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'd rather them try and be a little more level headed and making a joke here and there with each other than sobbing in corners in the fetal position and going into mass blind raging panic that some people seem to.

People would only moan that they aren't taking things seriously enough....

Edited by PieFacE

My thoughts on lambert is that basically he was never ready for such a big job, its alright when you've got a squad used to winning in the lower leagues and then they come up and their squad harmony and no fear keeps them up. We haven't had any of that for years, how many pl games have we won since mon left? Can't be more than about 20. His poor signings and stubbornness with the seniors haven't helped and to be honest i just think he is so far out of his depth its untrue and im sure even he has realised it. You can see the the difference in body language.

There have been plenty of managers who have done well over a short period and gone on to be shit.

Mcleish won a trophy with birmingham and got them a top 10 finish one year and i think he's **** shit.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, to suggest Lambert is any different to any of the managers that have been listed.

Like who? Bent and ireland are two that get this label, actually nzogbia also had it until a few weeks ago. If you think our only issue is that we have lazy players then i doubt you actually watch us that much. We are unorganised, lack any creative ideas going forward, are probably the most shambolic defensive unit in the league, can't defend set pieces and lack confidence and any sort of mental strength. When is the manager going to be held responsible for these things?

You can't put it all on existing players because vlaar, lowton and bennett have done nothing to improve us in defence and KEA and westwood have done very little to improve us in midfield. Again are you going to blame the players for this or the manager who signed players who aren't currently good enough or ready to play week in week out in the premier league?

Not that I disagree with much of what you've said, but have all the players you mentioned been together in the same team to play week in week out? A bit of stability on a set team has also been missing.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-says-1250417?

Aston Villa: Paul Lambert says Christian Benteke and Andi Weimann are going nowhere.

Paul Lambert: "There’s no point me trying to build something if it keeps getting dismantled.”

Paul Lambert will “fight tooth and nail” to keep Aston Villa’s attacking assets Christian Benteke and Andi Weimann this summer.

Benteke is being courted by rival Premier League clubs, while Weimann’s talks over a contract extension have hit a slight impasse.

But Lambert is determined to keep hold of Benteke, who is tied to Villa until summer 2016, and convince Weimann to extend his stay beyond the end of next season.

Asked about clubs trying to take relegation-threatened Villa’s players, Lambert replied: “You’ve got to fight tooth and nail to make sure that doesn’t happen, that’s one thing I can’t let happen.

“Especially if it does go the way I hope it goes. You can’t let people walk out the door who you’re trying to build things round.

“For the long term it would be great. I know the club and Andreas are talking at the moment so we’ll see what happens. Rumours about Christian? No way. There’s no point me trying to build something if it keeps getting dismantled.”

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Completely agree with this. I have always been of the opinion players are by far the most important element of potential league position, but a manager has the ability to push the players to the edge of their potential.

To put it rather simply, a given set of players has a range of potential finishing positions. A good manager pushes the players to the top of that range, while a poor manager pushes the squad to the bottom of the range.

I think this squad has a range of about 14-20. Under that supposition, Lambert is doing a average to poor job. That being said, I think it would take a very good managerial performance to even get this set of players a lower mid-table finish.

Out of interest if you look at our fit first team squad how many of them are premiership quality?

I would say 7 or 8 tops and there are question marks against some of them.

Lambert cannot change a game with who we have on the bench, he is totally screwed without some reinforcements which dont look like coming in.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-says-1250417?

Paul Lambert: "There’s no point me trying to build something if it keeps getting dismantled.”

Paul Lambert will “fight tooth and nail” to keep Aston Villa’s attacking assets Christian Benteke and Andi Weimann this summer.

Benteke is being courted by rival Premier League clubs, while Weimann’s talks over a contract extension have hit a slight impasse.

But Lambert is determined to keep hold of Benteke, who is tied to Villa until summer 2016, and convince Weimann to extend his stay beyond the end of next season.

Asked about clubs trying to take relegation-threatened Villa’s players, Lambert replied: “You’ve got to fight tooth and nail to make sure that doesn’t happen, that’s one thing I can’t let happen.

“Especially if it does go the way I hope it goes. You can’t let people walk out the door who you’re trying to build things round.

“For the long term it would be great. I know the club and Andreas are talking at the moment so we’ll see what happens. Rumours about Christian? No way. There’s no point me trying to build something if it keeps getting dismantled.”

That is very encouraging and a firm 'Don't even think about it' statement towards Randy and his sock from PL and I have to totally agree with him.

(That's if by some miracle we are still in the premier league otherwise it will be irrelevant who gets to stay or go)

That is very encouraging and a firm 'Don't even think about it' statement towards Randy and his sock from PL and I have to totally agree with him.

(That's if by some miracle we are still in the premier league otherwise it will be irrelevant who gets to stay or go)

Agreed. If we can manage to stay in the premier league, I generally believe Lambert can build a top 8 squad, and maybe even higher.

Agreed. If we can manage to stay in the premier league, I generally believe Lambert can build a top 8 squad, and maybe even higher.

So far Lambert is managing us into the Championship but if he does manage to get us going the other way then there is no reason why top 6 isn't possible with Benteke and the right support.

Yeah, 2 goals in his last 2 starts is shite isn't it?

If Lambert used Bent how he should then he would have a big say in us staying up IMO.

This has been done to death on the Bent thread but the problem is he doesn't do enough apart from score the odd goal (feel free to quote that back at me - I do realise that football is about scoring goals but it relies on the team scoring more than the opposition not one player weighing with a goal every two or three games and doing nothing else besides)

Bent has hardly seized his opportunities when he's had them

But whatever, I imagine Lambert has had his hands tied regarding how often he can play Bent.

May as well forget about Bent and move on 'cos he's not going to form a big part of our plans going forward

When Bent and Ireland leave I think you'll be eating your words, cause Bent will be scoring for fun and Ireland played correctly will be a great creative mid!

Ireland had a decent half a season for MC about 5 years ago and has been tripe since then - at different clubs and under different managers.

So far Lambert is managing us into the Championship but if he does manage to get us going the other way then there is no reason why top 6 isn't possible with Benteke and the right support.

The top 6 is not possible with Lambert in charge. He is one of the most clueless managers I have ever seen at villa park. He is so bad at his job its beyond a joke. Lerner is only sticking with him because he can't afford to get rid of him. Lambert is a very lucky man. Never before has a manager so incompetent been so secure in his job

Ireland had a decent half a season for MC about 5 years ago and has been tripe since then - at different clubs and under different managers.

Bent will score wherever he goes. Ireland is shit, we will miss Ireland about as much as we miss salifou

Edited by KHV

The top 6 is not possible with Lambert in charge. He is one of the most clueless managers I have ever seen at villa park. He is so bad at his job its beyond a joke. Lerner is only sticking with him because he can't afford to get rid of him. Lambert is a very lucky man. Never before has a manager so incompetent been so secure in his job

You dont achieve what he has by being a clueless manager. OTT negativity is a standard response of yours. I agree that there isn't much to shout about right now, but those kind of statements are just silly.

You dont achieve what he has by being a clueless manager. OTT negativity is a standard response of yours. I agree that there isn't much to shout about right now, but those kind of statements are just silly.

he failed at livinston, wycombe and colchester. he had a purple patch at norwich like Gregory had at villa. Gregory went on to be utter shite everywhere he went after villa. Lambert will do nothing now. he is appauling, you only have to look at his signing, his man management, his tactics, his substitutions and his press conferences to see that he is utter garbage

Exactly what are these achievements you refer to?