Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert is a joke figure now not only for opposition fans but also for AVFC fans.

I think you mean for some AVFC fans - certainly not for me.

I see a guy, not making excuses and giving 100% to put right three years plus of mis-management at all levels with one hand tied behind his back  - he's got my total support and admiration

Idiotic Question

I'd like to be where we are under MON now - sadly though he spunked £120m up the wall and Houiller, McLeish and Lambert then made it worse.

Luckily Lambert is man enough to stand up and be counted and not take the easy route of placing blame anywhere else. Given time and support I expect him to sort this mess out although Lerners decision not to help him during this window is mind-blowing

So easy to be negative - people here were asking for PL's head after nine games - brilliant

Lambert does not blame anyone else? You are now certainly on a wind up.

The bloke just does not admit responsibility for his failings - Lambert cannot motivate, organise etc, basically he cannot manage the team. What do the fans get when they question this? nothing. What do the press get when they ask him? childish petulance.

All we get is a mumble and waffle, something about picking ourselves up and a email from the club begging us to go to another match.

I would love it for Lambert to prove some of his biggest critics wrong, absolutely brilliant it would be. There is nothing though now that he is doing or showing that says he can or he will. All you get is foum's like this where there are a core of people who would declare the the sky is green and the grass is blue to fit in with certain agenda's. Lambert is doing a massively bad job, probably worse than anyone could have imagined and certainly worse than any of the previous Lerner appointed managers and worse than many if not all of the managers of the recent history. He should rightly be questioned about that and he should have the balls to admit he has made some big mistakes.

A low league finish is not the sole reason I've know changed my mind about Lambert.

If I was an Everton fan I would have looked at what the team where like before Moyes and looked at any improvements he'd made. I'd also be looking at the results, the way we played and the signings he made.

Didn't Everton have a good season under Moyes before those low finishes? Moyes had shown the fans something to give them hope that over time things would be good.

He finished 15th, 7th and 17th in his first three seasons - very many Everton fans wanted him gone. Ask them today and they are all glad that the board didn't respond to there knee-jerk reactions

Lambert has shown elsewhere that he can deliver a decent side and good football under the kind of budget any Villa manager will need to work with going forward.

I'm not going to continue the same circular argument about signings, tactics, Bent etc etc. Instead I'm going to watch what happens during the rest of the season and get behind my team and manager and hope that they can get us out of the mess that three years of financial and sporting mis-management have landed us in

Edited by VillaCas

I see a guy, not making excuses and giving 100% to put right three years plus of mis-management at all levels with one hand tied behind his back  - he's got my total support and admiration

im with you cas on that. I think he has made some mistakes, like all managers to be honest. None of them are perfect. But unlike most managers he does not have the privilege of being allowed to make mistakes. Bathe job he is in, admittedly one he chose, is so toxic at the moment that everything he does has to be guaranteed not to fail. Well football life ain't like that. Just ask AVB or Brendan Rodgers this morning if they made perfect decisions.

Paul lambert is quite simply the best manager we could get in our position trying to improve this club.

A low league finish is not the sole reason I've know changed my mind about Lambert.

If I was an Everton fan I would have looked at what the team where like before Moyes and looked at any improvements he'd made. I'd also be looking at the results, the way we played and the signings he made.

Didn't Everton have a good season under Moyes before those low finishes? Moyes had shown the fans something to give them hope that over time things would be good.

no need to look as far as Everton. What about when we had that complete and utter idiot o'leary in charge? He finished 6th then had a lower league placing?

Of course he can make mistakes, he just can't afford to make the kind of mistakes he's made over the past month. Given what's gone in over the past month you have to really question whether he is all he's cracked up to be. Other managers here have been hounded out for less but it's ok, "because it's Paul Lambert".

Edited by Mantis

Speak for yourself - there are a lot of us who can see the bigger picture and are willing to give PL time to sort out the nightmare he inherited.

Where the main critique on Lambert is coming from now 'VillaCas' is that he has made a bad situation worse by trying to do too much on a limited budget and not actually supplementing what he already had at the club.

He has also compounded that mistake by asking the players to play a system which they are currently not good enough to play.

The vast majority of posters realise that Lambert inherited a mess but what you seemingly refuse to acknowledge is that after spending 20m we are actually worse than last season which is substantiated by our current standing in the league and a horrendous run of results.

Our second half performances would also suggest that there is a lack of motivation and fight within the team and although you may be able to defend Lambert somewhat on the former points i have made, you certainly can't defend him on the latter. 

Idiotic Question

I'd like to be where we are under MON now - sadly though he spunked £120m up the wall and Houiller, McLeish and Lambert then made it worse.

Luckily Lambert is man enough to stand up and be counted and not take the easy route of placing blame anywhere else. Given time and support I expect him to sort this mess out although Lerners decision not to help him during this window is mind-blowing

So easy to be negative - people here were asking for PL's head after nine games - brilliant

Having dignity does not excuse mistakes and maybe those who did call for the manager's head after nine games had the foresight to see what is happening now.

as far as lambert is concerned, the proof is in the pudding.

so far on offer for desert has been a shit sandwich

he had the summer, he had money he has his back room staff

ample time to set up the team exactly how HE wants, ample time for tactics, formations and training

he has been given much more time than houllier or the orange ape and has escaped the majority of fans wrath until the last month.

the blame lies with him and his back room staff im afraid.

Anyone see that article in the paper that Lerner sees relegation as not the end of the world that tells me we ain't getting anyone and don't be thinking o maybe last day of the transfer window deals because it ain't gonna happen. For whatever reason Lerner has hung us out to dry when we needed him most. He should have done something at start of the window were doomed now and there's nothing we can do but hope for the most unlikely of miracles. All season losing to shit teams fulham west ham Southampton twice Wigan Bradford millwall why would anyone think this will change anytime soon to save us, it won't we're down now and we may face it Lerner has killed Aston villa

Actually some of this i agree with.

Under the present circumstances Lambert could have gone crying to the press about a lack of funding and the fact he hasn't done that must be commended. It's probably one of the reasons why this forum is still spilt on whether to keep him or not and why, at the games, most of the fan base are still vocal in their support of him.

If Lambert was to change the system and actually incorporate a style of play more beneficial to the players we have at the moment then i believe he would gain further support due to the fan base seeing an admittance of being wrong and a determination to put it right.

Currently we are seeing nothing of the above, only a stubbornness to keep playing in a way that the players are obviously not capable of, or comfortable with and unfortunately this can only be conjusive to Lambert eventually losing the dressing room if he hasn't already done so? 

Edited by Morpheus

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy at Aston Villa's news conference ahead of Tuesday's home game to Newcastle United: "Paul Lambert says the message from Aston Villa's owner Randy Lerner is 'keep on fighting'. Lambert said he had another supportive, encouraging phone call from Lerner after Friday's FA Cup exit at Millwall."

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy at Aston Villa's news conference ahead of Tuesday's home game to Newcastle United: "Paul Lambert says the message from Aston Villa's owner Randy Lerner is 'keep on fighting'. Lambert said he had another supportive, encouraging phone call from Lerner after Friday's FA Cup exit at Millwall."

So, this is about villa not you Paul

Not sure what point you are trying to make there CI

See for me it goes like this

JOURNO - Have you spoken to the Owner in the last few days Paul

PL - Yes sure I spoke to him by phone last Friday

JOURNO - What was the conversation?

PL - He was great,  very encouraging and said keep fighting.

See CI if you are having a go there then surely you should be having a go at Lerner for those words not for Lambert for merely repeating what was said?  This is why for me it seems as though there are many sticks currently being used to have a go at Lambert and it does a viewpoint no favours to seek ones that do not exist.