Paul Lambert

Pilchard

winning a game doesnt mean we're going to finish 6th no more than losing one means we'll be relegated - regardless of opposition

How about losing 3 out of 5? Because I don't think anyone is basing their worry of relegation on just one game.

i'd say our current 6 game record for the season will be an accurate reflection on our overall record come the end of the year. it'll definitely be in the ballpark of losing 3, winning 2 and drawing 1 out of every 6 games which, factoring in the cups, should see us finishing on somewhere in the region of 46-49 points

I thought Lambert took a real risky punt after we went 2-1 and it went horribly wrong.

Bringing Gabby and Bennett on we effectively went to a 4-3-3 and not the winger type formation lots of team use. We just played three up front - the midfield got absolutely battered by Southamptons greater numbers and the defence was very very exposed.

On another day we may have got back into it and I think Lambert is the kind of manager who would rather lose than 4-1 than not try. Some games last year McLeish seemed happy if we lost by a small margin so it is progress.

It just means we might see a few truly painful to watch defeats. That's 2 in 5 games now

The way we turned over cheap possession all game against Southampton and especially in the second half was staggering.

Couple that with some real poor positional defending and it lead to what we got - a turgid performance

That said, the way we gave it way was in complete contrast to how we used the ball well in the previous two games. Sides are inconsistent, but it was bizarre how we lurched from the very good to the very bad.

You look at the 2 misses early in the 2nd half and can't help but think that's where we blew it. Then the equaliser and the heads went down very rapidly.

Lambert should have the side writing out a 1000 lines on the chalk board about playing it into Benteke's feet.

I think he as part of the poor performance, through no fault of his own, as Bannan, the full backs and Clark kept bloody lumping it into him. Play it to his feet! He's useful with them.

Positioning and passing. Just like Newcastle and Swansea.

We’re in for feast or famine aren’t we?

I think we'll probably lose a lot more than last season but we'll also win more too.

^^^This^^^

I think we'll be ok. we were the draw merchants last season but quite frankly that's a lot more dangerous than getting the odd sound beating now and again.

Over say 10 games - if you win three, draw 2 and lose 5 your better off than you are if you win one, lose 3 and draw 5. That 3 points difference but you've lost 2 more games.

For every draw that goes to the defealt colume you lose one point but for every draw that becomes a win you gain two. As shown last year, the playing not to lose usually ends up in a draw and as such we were probably a fewer points south of where we could have been last season had McLeish decided to play a bit more expansively.

Wigan are past masters at this.

winning a game doesnt mean we're going to finish 6th no more than losing one means we'll be relegated - regardless of opposition

How about losing 3 out of 5? Because I don't think anyone is basing their worry of relegation on just one game.

i'd say our current 6 game record for the season will be an accurate reflection on our overall record come the end of the year. it'll definitely be in the ballpark of losing 3, winning 2 and drawing 1 out of every 6 games which, factoring in the cups, should see us finishing on somewhere in the region of 46-49 points

I don't really see the point in mentioning the tranmere game in the relegation thread as its just not relevant. If we see an average of 4 points every 5 games then we will be in serious trouble and relegation will certainly be something we need to worry about.

why would you write it off and not include it though? we've played 6 under lambert in total, with 2 wins, a draw and 3 defeats. that's going to be a good approximation of our overall season, regardless of what competitions those games come in

It's only been a couple games under PL and I'll give him more than a benefit of doubt. We've showed some flashes and promise and, at least, a willingness to go for it which is more than last year's bending over and taking it as slowly as we could.

That being said, I do see a disconcerting pattern of deploying midfielders and just chucking up strikers up front when we're behind. It's been commented on here before, but there is a disturbing lack of width when we're losing. Instead of expanding the pitch, we seem to narrow it even further when we're trailing.

Given the relative youth and inexperience of our signings and Lambert's commitment to revolution here, I certainly did expect us to be on the end of a couple of drubbings, but I didn't expect them to come at the hands of the Southampton's on this league.

Definitely a huge work-in progress this.

why would you write it off and not include it though? we've played 6 under lambert in total, with 2 wins, a draw and 3 defeats. that's going to be a good approximation of our overall season, regardless of what competitions those games come in

Beating a league 1 side doesn't prove anything. It doesn't prove we could beat better teams in cups or beat premiership teams. It's a game we needed to win and we did, which is good, but that game gives little indication to how our season may pan out.

Only Valencia is a genuine wide player, though. Young/Nani both drift in and rotate sides.

The only team I can think of that played with tradtional wingers to a degree of success in recent times was Spurs with Bale/Lennon. It worked a treat until 'Arry tinkered and had them switching roles etc. Funny game, football.

Lambert likes the 4-4-2 diamond and having players narrow in defence and wide in attack is key, it's the transition we aren't getting right at the minute and that will only come with time on the training pitch.