Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Based on his performance with our team so far it's ridiculous to even suggest 'he's already one of the best in England.' We have just secured our safety with one game to go ffs.

By Xmas Alex ferguson, wouldn't have saved us. We were well and truly down.

The form from feb was outstanding. ...and that is an example of progress.

That's what lambert is getting praise for.

He has a vision and despite a slow start is beginning to gain momentum. It's what the best teams do, finish strong.

We werent down. im not even sure we were in the relegation zone.

Oh and if we are to do a Dotmund how about taking extending the stadium to 51,000 and reducing ticket prices to fill it as we already have the planning permission to extend the North Stand...something Liverpool, Everton and Spurs cannot obtain without building new stadiums. A frenzid passionate home crowd would only help the cause.

Edited by supernova26

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Based on his performance with our team so far it's ridiculous to even suggest 'he's already one of the best in England.' We have just secured our safety with one game to go ffs.

He has a vision and despite a slow start is beginning to gain momentum. It's what the best teams do, finish strong.

Morally and by general concensus, I think you will find we was  ... the reversals with Chelsea, spurs and wigan had us buried....and a shocking goal difference to boot.

what Lambert done was remarkable.

Edited by TRO

Once we start to get success on the pitch the fans will come, we can increase capacity then.

Villa have a large catchment area and we have only one pl rival, WBA.London based teams have plenty of competition for fans.

It's very early to judge Lambert but from his player signings, the style of football he plays and the backing of the fans he has received at villa park, even when we have lost, I see a bright future.

I wasn't sure about Lambert when he came to us, I had my doubts when he backed the youngsters against the experienced players when we was in the shit, he gambled and he was right, Lambert and Villa are beginning to look and very good match IMO.......UTV

After Newcastle we were 18th with 19th place Reading 1 behind with a game in hand after they had a fabulous month, with QPR not far off  and having signed some big players (Remy, Samba) and we'd just signed Sylla and Dawkins. Common opinion was pretty much "we're ****-ed"

And I shared a similar view. Off the back of vital defeats against Wigan Southampton and Newcastle, all at home. We'd been good away but bottled it (WBA and Swansea) and we'd just been ejected from the League Cup semis by Bradford and the FA Cup 4th round by Millwall.

Morale was at a complete low. Some people were saying how we'd finish bottom by a long way. Barely anyone but the ridiculously optimistic had us to stay up.

After Newcastle we were 18th with 19th place Reading 1 behind with a game in hand after they had a fabulous month, with QPR not far off  and having signed some big players (Remy, Samba) and we'd just signed Sylla and Dawkins. Common opinion was pretty much "we're ****-ed"

And I shared a similar view. Off the back of vital defeats against Wigan Southampton and Newcastle, all at home. We'd been good away but bottled it (WBA and Swansea) and we'd just been ejected from the League Cup semis by Bradford and the FA Cup 4th round by Millwall.

Morale was at a complete low. Some people were saying how we'd finish bottom by a long way. Barely anyone but the ridiculously optimistic had us to stay up.

^Exactly how I remember it.^

Some might add that it was under Lambert's management that we went through all the above. I prefer to think that period was part of Lambert and his team 'settling in' or 'finding their feet' and the good (not faultless) last third of the season was more reflective of things to come. Next season will tell.

Villa have a large catchment area and we have only one pl rival, WBA.London based teams have plenty of competition for fans.

What? Do you not know how crowded the Midlands is for football teams? Regardless of PL status, fans aren't going to be picking a team just now so won't just think 'Oh, WBA and Villa are both in the PL. I'm going to change my allegiance.' And over the course of the last 25/30 years we've had top 2 division football in Villa, WBA, Blues, Coventry, Leicester, Walsall, Forest and Wolves. Hardly uncompetitive is it?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Morally and by general concensus, I think you will find we was  ... the reversals with Chelsea, spurs and wigan had us buried....and a shocking goal difference to boot.

What Lambert did was to finally accept that the players he had purchased or were already at the club weren't good enough to play the system he wanted so he changed the system to one which even the mear mortal supporter had identified as being the correct way to go with the players available.

Nothing remarkable about that other than he very well nearly relegated us.

Edited by Morpheus

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Morally and by general concensus, I think you will find we was ... the reversals with Chelsea, spurs and wigan had us buried....and a shocking goal difference to boot.

What Lambert did was to finally accept that the players he had purchased or were already at the club weren't good enough to play the system he wanted so he changed the system to one which even the mear mortal supporter had identified as being the correct way to go with the players available.

Nothing remarkable about that other than he very well nearly relegated us.

How lucky we would all be if you managed the club. Charlie Adam, Dimitar Berbatov, and championship football. Probably should add administration to the list as well.

It's a good question in fairness. There aren't many managers in the Prem who I'd rather have. Clarke, Hughton, Allardyce? They all finished above us. But I know who I'd have in charge. And every day of the week it's Lambert over those three.

I agree and apart the managers of the top clubs who couldn't/wouldn't do it on a shoestring, I wouldn't want most of the others either who managed last season: Di Canio, Pardew, Pochettino, Hughton, Redknapp, Pulis???

Rogers, Martinez and Laudrup maybe but for me Lambert can match and outperform most of our immediate rivals given what he has to spend. I will be interested to see if he can put one over on any of the leading clubs next season. Wouldn't it be nice to beat Man U again?

Whatever you can say about Lambert, at least he is making Villa interesting again. Last season under Mcleish was so,so, so dull. Like Pink Floyd would say, it was comfortably numb for us. Granted some of this season really hurt, but that is because we care about this side. You can see what Lambert and the players are trying to do, unlike last season team full of old pros looking for a easy life at Villa. 15th can never been seen as a good season but I hope Lambert has helped create the foundations for something exciting and progressive at Villa in the years to come. I am looking forward to August. I havent thought like that for years at Villa.

• Like 3

It would be good if we could create some sort of relationship with Dortmund. I think Dortmund could be a possible destination for Benteke should we definitely go ahead and sell him... Maybe see if there is a young midfielder we could take on loan or something in return.

I like the idea of Lambert taking ideas from the Dortmund approach, I think they are excellent. Good times ahead hopefully.

Whatever you can say about Lambert, at least he is making Villa interesting again. Last season under Mcleish was so,so, so dull. Like Pink Floyd would say, it was comfortably numb for us. Granted some of this season really hurt, but that is because we care about this side. You can see what Lambert and the players are trying to do, unlike last season team full of old pros looking for a easy life at Villa. 15th can never been seen as a good season but I hope Lambert has helped create the foundations for something exciting and progressive at Villa in the years to come. I am looking forward to August. I havent thought like that for years at Villa.

or Like Black Holes In The Sky