Paul Lambert

Pilchard

But I'm sure Kagawa and Sahin stayed for more than 1 season and it gave Dortmund time to gain momentum and climb higher in the division if Benteke goes after one season we won't really have progressed will we. 

Its all speculation at this point but i think Lambert will be dying to hold onto him for at least 1 more season so we can strengthen further in the summer have a real crack at mid table next season then he can go with the managers blessing the following season where his loss won't be as big as hopefully will be an established mid table side again no longer looking over our shoulder that is the ideal scenario for me

It just seems to always be 1 step forwards 2 steps back

Edited by AshVilla

Lambert talks about that in the sky sports thingermee. 

It's obvious he wants to keep him, but he also drew a parallel with dortmund by saying klopp will be gutted by gotze and lewandowski going but the most important thing is the team. the money can then be used to get 4 or 5 players that makes the team as a unit better and you keep going from there. 

i think we all know benteke isn't going to be here for that long, unless by some miracle we get into the CL next year. i think we stand a good chance of keeping him for another year and if he performs like this year he'll move for an enormous fee. the man who brought him here is still here and i'd trust lambert to use the money from his sale to better the team.

Is it possible to do what Dortmund have done in the prem?

A player does really well in the Prem and the big boys come sniffing straight away. Just look at Milner and downing. I'd say big clubs might be a bit more cautious about 1 top season in the German league which obviously helps a club like Dortmund progress.

Also with there not being as much money in the German league there's not many clubs who can snap up all the decent players and leave them sitting on the bench or making brief appearances.

I don't know much about German football so I may be completely wrong but I would think its easier to do what they've done in their league rather than the premiership.

Is it possible to do what Dortmund have done in the prem?

A player does really well in the Prem and the big boys come sniffing straight away. Just look at Milner and downing. I'd say big clubs might be a bit more cautious about 1 top season in the German league which obviously helps a club like Dortmund progress.

Also with there not being as much money in the German league there's not many clubs who can snap up all the decent players and leave them sitting on the bench or making brief appearances.

I don't know much about German football so I may be completely wrong but I would think its easier to do what they've done in their league rather than the premiership.

I don't think we could match their success.  There's a difference between following their model and actually pulling it off to the same degree as them.  Ultimately however good a side we build over the next couple of years, City, Chelsea, Utd etc will keep adding the world's best players to their side in a way that only Bayern can in Germany.  Also Dortmund have the highest average attendance in the whole of Europe of over 80,000.   We need to create our own blueprint of how we want to develop the club, just take certain clubs as an example but build our own way up hopefully to the point that other teams want to start 'doing a VIlla'.

I think Spurs are the closest thing to 'doing a Dortmund' in the premiership.

Focusing on buying young talent, selling them off for bigger money and reinvesting again in more young talent.

Yep spurs is a model we should be aiming for.

Two seasons ago when they easily took us apart with Mcleish in charge of us their starting 11 cost less than our starting 11.

I think Spurs are the closest thing to 'doing a Dortmund' in the premiership.

Focusing on buying young talent, selling them off for bigger money and reinvesting again in more young talent.

Indeed and whilst Spurs have and will likely continue to have a higher turnover than us in the short/medium term I see no reason why with sound SUSTAINABLE investment and a manager who knows what he's doing we can't run them close. And then, who knows. 

Getting to Everton's current level should be achievable. It's the bare minimum I expect from this club over the next 2/3 seasons. 

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Based on his performance with our team so far it's ridiculous to even suggest 'he's already one of the best in England.' We have just secured our safety with one game to go ffs.

Yes just off his time with Villa, but I'm including Norwich and Colchester. Getting back to back promotions to the prem is fairly rare, and he didn't have a huge budget to work with either. He also smashed norwich with colchester at the beginning of that season.

And yes, I agree you can't judge managerial ability off of an interview, but you can somewhat judge character.

What managers in englandwould you prefer to lambert?

It's a good question in fairness. There aren't many managers in the Prem who I'd rather have. Clarke, Hughton, Allardyce? They all finished above us. But I know who I'd have in charge. And every day of the week it's Lambert over those three.

• Like 1

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Based on his performance with our team so far it's ridiculous to even suggest 'he's already one of the best in England.' We have just secured our safety with one game to go ffs.

By Xmas Alex ferguson, wouldn't have saved us. We were well and truly down.

The form from feb was outstanding. ...and that is an example of progress.

That's what lambert is getting praise for.

He has a vision and despite a slow start is beginning to gain momentum. It's what the best teams do, finish strong.

• Like 1

i'd say we are 2-3 players off being a top 8 team as long as lambert brings in a solid CB and a midfielder with a bit of flair and creativity then im confident we can have a good season next season our defence has been shocking this season and we have leaked too many goals get that sorted and we will yet again see some more glory dayys at villa park!

If we sell Benteke he may as well walk who's next out the door Weimann?

In fact i wouldn't be angry with the guy if he did

Lets face it he keeps going on about project Aston Villa but if we keep selling our best players all the time what's the point?

as i told you in other thread. when you mocked that we tried do a Dortmund, well they have sold their best player each of last 2 seasons and are selling 2 more this season. not a problem for them

Because they have the ability to talent spot and develop, so selling their best players is purely academic

We have not had the ability in recent years to talent spot and develop, so we see selling our best players as a disaster.

Now, we have the ability.......CHILL

• Like 1

The Dortmund model could work in the prem up to a point , until you hit what Germany currently doesn't have, classless moneybags clubs like citeh and chelski. Having said that though, if Villa fans were willing to give Lambo time to do what he has to do, maybe in perhaps 4 or 5 years time, we could sneak a CL spot and then, hopefully, Europe woud be our oyster and fans of the aforesaid clubs would be saying "fook me, how did they do that?"

The Dortmund model could work in the prem up to a point , until you hit what Germany currently doesn't have, classless moneybags clubs like citeh and chelski. 

...Bayern.

However in Germany I guess they just have the one. Where as over here the money is a glass ceiling for a lot of clubs. United, City, Chelsea will outspend everybody and then Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are in a group well above the rest of the league. So I do kind of agree with where you are coming from.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Indeed you only have look to Spurs to see it can be done, it's not easy mind, but it can be done. At the end of the day regardless of how much money you have you can only have 11 players on the pitch at any one time, that will never change.

Never mind Chelsea and Man City, Man Utd/Fergie are the Bayern "bullies" of this league. Every time a "lesser" team bred a decent player they got snapped up.

Wayne Rooney

Michael Carrick

Ashley Young (he almost got us to Champions League 3 seasons a row on his own)

Dwight Yorke

RVP

Phil Jones 

The list is endless! As Mourhinio once said the easiest way to win a title is buy up the best players of your rivals.

There is one saving grace though and that is the Liverpool/Newcastle/Andy Carol effect. Liverpool paid £35 million for Andy Carol of course (lol) Newcastle reinvested that money and almost got 4th and finished well ahead of Liverpool. Moral of the story being you don't want to be giving too much money to your rivals if they have the ability to reinvest and restock. Buying Gotze may yet come back to bite Bayern on the arse.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1