Paul Lambert

Pilchard

As to what I wrote about Lerner, was that wrong? You agreed with it I recall and have said I was right, now are you saying I was wrong?

No I agree 100% with your opinion on the owner.

I just don't think you can complain about the modern day can attitude when your main gripe against Lerner in that letter was that he wasn't rich enough to get us top 4.

I do however believe he is the right man for us, which I realise goes agains the modern day football philosophy of demanding instant results.

I think believing a manager who can't keep us up is the right man goes against most logical thinking.

At our lowest point I too really thought that Lambo is dead man walking and he wouldn't be able to turn us around but I gotta take my hat off as he has turned us around and given us fighting chance. Truthfully speaking, would've any manager done any better than him given the budget he had?

• Like 1

As to what I wrote about Lerner, was that wrong? You agreed with it I recall and have said I was right, now are you saying I was wrong?

No I agree 100% with your opinion on the owner.

I just don't think you can complain about the modern day can attitude when your main gripe against Lerner in that letter was that he wasn't rich enough to get us top 4.

i actually said if he wanted top four for the club he had to continue to spend big and not stop spending, if he couldn't continue spending he should seek additional investment or sell up.

Not sure the is anything wrong with what I said. In this game you have to spend to stand still lambert will need backing if he doesn't get it I'll be saying the same things again. At he time his strategy was top four but he was unable / unwilling to fund it, that deserved criticism it wasnt inpatient modern day fan but justified criticism of his unrealistic expectations.

Different scenarios exist today but he still deserves criticism.

Edited by Richard

I do however believe he is the right man for us, which I realise goes agains the modern day football philosophy of demanding instant results.

I think believing a manager who can't keep us up is the right man goes against most logical thinking.

i think the bigger picture of where we were / are as a club, the budget he had to work with, the newness of the squad, the shite he had to sort out, all these need to be taken into account. Not quite as simple as saying he relegated a top 6 performing squad or had been here for a few years built a team ingrained his methods, that is it is not a pardhew situation.

what worries me is when we are losing and not playing well Lambert's subs/tactics are usually awful, anything that has ever involved KEA or Holman have been classic examples of ineptitude.

But if we get one or two experienced players in midfield and defence and keep this attack we could be awesome.

Edited by VillanousOne

Away from the sacking debate, I like how Lambert in the last two games now has handled the post match interview - on Monday he made sure that he highlighted Lowton's performance as Benteke obviously would steal the headlines, and today he made sure to mention Westwood straight away before talking about Gabby.

Good stuff.

Yes I totally agree. You feel that the players really want to play for him. Although he doesn't come across too eloquent, I think he's a pretty smart man.

However the reactionary mob rule mentality that seemed to pervade some of the comments about lambert at the time exposed the failings of the modern fan for me.

What a load of self-congratulatory cock.

Since when have we been successful spending money.

Folk harp on about spending big... But we are not successful with that stategy.

We buy nzogbia for 10mill and let Maloney go for 1 mill

It's about prudence as much as funds.

• Like 1

Since when have we been successful spending money.

Folk harp on about spending big... But we are not successful with that stategy.

We buy nzogbia for 10mill and let Maloney go for 1 mill

It's about prudence as much as funds.

Yes I totally agree.

Nick76, that was an excellent post!

I would rather have one Paul Lambert managing our team than a million Alex McLeish's. Whilst I was questioning some of Lambert's decisions at times this season, I could never bring myself to say that I didn't want him here or that I didn't like him. The thing that strikes me with Lambert's Villa is that we seem to have a plan. We are going somewhere. Even if we went down, I still believe that there is a future with this man in charge. That has led me to believe in him and to trust in him.

I didn't renew my season ticket this season, purely out of protest at Lerner for hiring McLeish. My aim is to renew again next season, regardless of what league we're playing in!

This Villa side will get better with time/experience and I really hope that Randy Lerner sees the same potential in the players and manager as we do and gives him enough funds in the summer to help Lambo strengthen the team enough so that we can be more competitive next season.

• Like 1

To people who were saying they'd rather have McLeish than Lambert, we have 2 more points than we did at the end of last season with 2 games to go. We also scored more, won more etc. This season despite the horrid December/January has been an improvement in almost every aspect and that's all I would've asked for at the start of the season.

• Like 2

I love it when people criticise Lambert's substitutions, as though he has a bench full of world class talent. This man is a genius. Nobody else signs unproven kids from the Championship, League One, and Ligue 2 in France and turns them all into respectable PL regulars in less than a season. Sure, we make mistakes, and sure we might still go down, but it's no coincidence that Lambert has been booed relatively rarely this season, even when things were going badly. For fans starved of exciting football since the days of Merson, or maybe even Yorke, or maybe even the Big Ron team in 92, this season has been mindblowing. I think he could do with bringing in a defensive coach to work on set pieces, but otherwise he seems like a very very talented manager to me. We got 38 points under McLeish last season, so make of that what you will. Sacking Lambert would be retarded in the extreme, just like the people calling for it.

agree with this 100%

and we all knew this season was a clear out and rebuild season didn't we?!?!?!

In all fairness every season is a "rebuild season" for us.. we are probably the only club in the premier league that goes through a "transitional season" every year.

I hope this isn't the case next season but I can hear those words being belted out by Villa HQ during the transfer window and next season.

• Like 2

In all fairness every season is a "rebuild season" for us.. we are probably the only club in the premier league that goes through a "transitional season" every year.

I hope this isn't the case next season but I can hear those words being belted out by Villa HQ during the transfer window and next season.

certainly the last three - four years have been like that and mostly because we have changed the manager so often. Another reason why we need to keep with Paul lambert

I agree, but we've never had a rebuild season on this scale.

I'd be interested to see how many of the players that played yesterday, played at this stage least season.

Off the top of my head I can only think of gabby.