Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think you might be able to constitute Houllier's time here as a "rebuild season" but he obviously couldn't stay healthy so that project was scrapped. That was followed by McLeish's desperate last gasp of terrible signings and utterly inept football.

Lambert's the first fresh rebuild project in a sense that there's a whole new approach to the club. You could say that Houllier might have been able to do that had he been given a whole summer and his health stayed with him but unfortunately it didn't.

Houllier would never have been as radical as lambert or have facilitated a one team all together atmosphere. Both of those things were desperately needed at this club.

He was never the right man and looking back now with rosé tinted glasses on his time here is not right.

As for Mcduff I think Lerner must have watched trading places the day he appointed him

Houllier would never have been as radical as lambert or have facilitated a one team all together atmosphere. Both of those things were desperately needed at this club.

He was never the right man and looking back now with rosé tinted glasses on his time here is not right.

As for Mcduff I think Lerner must have watched trading places the day he appointed him

You never had the soft spot for Houllier that you do for Lambert.

Not having a preseason means Houllier was stuck with the likes of Warnock, Collins, Dunne and NRC. As for being radical - a common accusation was that he tried to do "too much too soon".

If he had of been healthy, we would be looking at a different Villa now.

• Like 1

Lamberts still got a lot to prove IMO. Yes hes better than the last 2 managers, yes he canspot a player, keep a tight dressing room, - But can he assemble a defence that can hold a lead longer than 15 minutes ? - Time will tell.

I think Sylla is comfortably better than Delph. I think he's been key to our run of good games.

Baker is our best CB by far

I completely disagree on both statements, but then I've disagreed with you on Petrov, Reo-Coker and a whole host of others. We see the game very differently - fair enough.

• Like 1

We'll never know what was to come of Houllier. Maybe he was still trying to recreate his team from old and wouldn't be able to keep up with modern football. Maybe he would have brought the continental game to Villa. Maybe he really was just a passenger.

But I'm not going to predict what would have happened based on coming in late and then not being able to manage the team during the latter part of the season and never having his own summer transfer window to fully suss things out

• Like 1

We'll never know what was to come of Houllier. Maybe he was still trying to recreate his team from old and wouldn't be able to keep up with modern football. Maybe he would have brought the continental game to Villa. Maybe he really was just a passenger.

Dunno about that... history tells us that Houllier wasn't likely to foster a great dressing room/team spirit. He has a track record of pissing off a fair amount of players. His time had already passed when he came here.

Lamberts still got a lot to prove IMO. Yes hes better than the last 2 managers, yes he canspot a player, keep a tight dressing room, - But can he assemble a defence that can hold a lead longer than 15 minutes ? - Time will tell.

16 minutes of time!

You never had the soft spot for Houllier that you do for Lambert.

Never had a soft spot for him because he was,  imo,  obviously the wrong man for us on so many levels.   I was lucky enough to meet him and Mcallister at a match we were all at and talk to both of them during the half time break and again at full time.  Both came across as ok actually,  nothing against them personally just not for us.

Same as Mcleish,  never met him but his appointment was just wrong plain wrong.

Lambert I have met is a good bloke and is right for us.  Part of the reason for that,  although not all,  is because he is excellent at building a team together atmosphere and this is something we have not had at the club since the days of Gregory I would suggest.  Not even MON had that atmosphere as we are seeing it today.

Never had a soft spot for him because he was,  imo,  obviously the wrong man for us on so many levels.   I was lucky enough to meet him and Mcallister at a match we were all at and talk to both of them during the half time break and again at full time.  Both came across as ok actually,  nothing against them personally just not for us.

Same as Mcleish,  never met him but his appointment was just wrong plain wrong.

Lambert I have met is a good bloke and is right for us.  Part of the reason for that,  although not all,  is because he is excellent at building a team together atmosphere and this is something we have not had at the club since the days of Gregory I would suggest.  Not even MON had that atmosphere as we are seeing it today.

I can't disagree with that. For a long time we looked like nothing more than a stepping stone for players to use as a move elsewhere, including under MON and Houllier.

Kinda puts Barry's move into perspective - what more could we offer? Though you could argue he moved from one club lacking solidarity to another, just with more pay.

I reckon players that love the club - Taylor, Merson, Laursen, Mellberg et al - are a necessary part of any sustained success. Good thing we still have Gabby :thumb:

I think Sylla is comfortably better than Delph. I think he's been key to our run of good games.

Baker is our best CB by far

How you think Baker is Better than Vlaar is beyond baffling.

Simples. Vlaar gets caught out a lot more than Baker

Actually, in many ways I think Houllier's season with us has been almost mirrored this season with Lambert. Transition. Average/poor start, absolutely dreadful Christmas/new year period in which we found ourselves flirting with relegation before picking up towards the end of the season with some promising signs for the future. This season's basically been a more extreme version of 10/11. We've come a lot closer to relegation and at times been worse than we ever were under Houllier but at the same time there are some really promising signs that weren't there even toward the end of Houllier's reign.

Obviously there are some key differences but both seasons have struck me as transition seasons. Last seaosn on the other hand was just dreadful with no redeeming features. I could see what Houllier was trying to do and I can see what Lambert is doing but I don't know what the **** McLeish was doing and I still can't get my head round that appointment.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2