Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Sacking Lambert would be retarded in the extreme, just like the people calling for it.

Using the word retarded to describe anyone is nothing short of ignorant. 

• Like 2

and we all knew this season was a clear out and rebuild season didn't we?!?!?!

In all fairness every season is a "rebuild season" for us.. we are probably the only club in the premier league that goes through a "transitional season" every year.

I hope this isn't the case next season but I can hear those words being belted out by Villa HQ during the transfer window and next season.

certainly the last three - four years have been like that and mostly because we have changed the manager so often. Another reason why we need to keep with Paul lambert

So would you have kept McLeish?

My point is that there were obvious reasons why we have changed managers so much. 

Been brilliant recently and certainly looks like next season will be much better. TBH the people unhappy with Lambert were unhappy as they didn't believe this squad was as poor as they were showing, the last few months have shown that. The ones who seem to never have lost faith in Lambert were also the same ones saying there was nothing he could do when we were going through an awful period.

It's been amazing ever since the newcastle game and he gets lots of credit for that. I'm starting to get a lot more excited about next season.

• Like 4

and we all knew this season was a clear out and rebuild season didn't we?!?!?!

In all fairness every season is a "rebuild season" for us.. we are probably the only club in the premier league that goes through a "transitional season" every year.

I hope this isn't the case next season but I can hear those words being belted out by Villa HQ during the transfer window and next season.

The last three you mean when we've had a new manager every time.

This will be the first time since O'Neills second season, after his transitional year, that we've had some kind of continuity after said transition.

In retrospect I'm a much bigger supporter of Lambert than I was Houllier, but had the Frenchman been well enough to stay on and had the board had the balls to keep him in the face of fan ignorance do you honestly think we'd still be in transition? We'd be a comfortable mid table side IMO, battling for UEFA scraps.

Such is life though eh. Next year it's time to push forward, baby steps of course. No relegation battle would be lovely.

• Like 2

TBH the people unhappy with Lambert were unhappy as they didn't believe this squad was as poor as they were showing, the last few months have shown that. The ones who seem to never have lost faith in Lambert were also the same ones saying there was nothing he could do when we were going through an awful period.

I'm sorry to piss on your new found optimism but that's simply not true, you can't cover everyone with the same blanket. Clearly there were things he could do, I never doubted that. I was probably the ONLY person on here arguing vehemently that the squad wasn't as bad as suspected, remember the "worst villa team ever" thread? Dig it out, it makes for interesting reason.

Yet for the main I kept faith in Lambert. My faith was based on his ability to learn and evolve, based on what I saw in him as a person, his past experience, his proven ability and his winning mentality. He was at the time, doing a poor job. That is absolutely undeniable in my opinion, but that doesn't make him a poor manager.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. There's still a slim chance he's left it too late. If we do go down it won't be with a whimper and there isn't a single gettable man I'd want more than him guiding our resurrection. He's nailed it.

Also let me add, this is one if the most "together" squads I've seen down Villa Park. That warms me, it gives me faith that the game isn't faceless, isn't dead. I'm enjoying it again...

Easy when you're winning though eh!

• Like 1

Also let me add, this is one if the most "together" squads I've seen down Villa Park. That warms me, it gives me faith that the game isn't faceless, isn't dead. I'm enjoying it again...

Agree with that a lot!! It's great to see.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. There's still a slim chance he's left it too late. If we do go down it won't be with a whimper and there isn't a single gettable man I'd want more than him guiding our resurrection. He's nailed it.

I've said I wanted him sacked if we go down as I'd class it as a failure of a season. However the better we look towards the end the more I start to think differently. Saying that though I'm now feeling more confident that we'll end up safe this season and can look forward to what next season will bring.

Sacking Lambert would be retarded in the extreme, just like the people calling for it.

Apologies, didn't think that through, and you're right. Sacking Lambert would be very very ill-advised.

What lambert needs now is backing to continue the great job he has started.

This is utter and complete bollocks.

I'm wondering to myself how many sets of fans in the Premiership would congratulate a manager so vigorously by stating what a great job he has done when their team could still be relegated?

He has not done a great job at all. He has made many mistakes and the only reason why he has got away with it so far is due to his predecessor and the very fact that the majority of Villa fans have shown the one virtue that has been criticised in posts above.

Lambert has presided over one of the worst seasons i have ever experienced as a Villa supporter and speaking from my own personal point of view i have been sick with worry that he would take us down this season due to those mistakes which have been highlighted elsewhere. He has gambled with the club's future with his transfer policy and if we stay up those weaknesses which he has thrown several millions at will need the same amount or more to fix next season namely in defence and midfield.

For me one or two results and performances against Liverpool and Sunderland does not constitute or point to him being the right man for us when for most of the season we have been battling against relegation and suffering indignity in the cup competitions.

We may have turned a corner as i stated in the match thread for the Sunderland game but we have a long way to go before i am convinced that Lambert is the right manager for our football club.

What twaddle - six wins in the last nine is not one or two perfromances.

Still prefer Redknapp would you Morpheus? or Berbatov up front? or Bent instead of Benteke? or Newcastle's French foreign Legion?

Lambert has stuck to his guns, not paniced and calmly turned things around and will go from strength to strength now

Agree with that a lot!! It's great to see.

I've said I wanted him sacked if we go down as I'd class it as a failure of a season. However the better we look towards the end the more I start to think differently. Saying that though I'm now feeling more confident that we'll end up safe this season and can look forward to what next season will bring.

I'd like to say fair play for being malleable (in a good way), but point giving is almost as cringeworthy as point scoring! However, it does go to show how impressive the turnaround has been.

What lambert needs now is backing to continue the great job he has started.

This is utter and complete bollocks.

I'm wondering to myself how many sets of fans in the Premiership would congratulate a manager so vigorously by stating what a great job he has done when their team could still be relegated?

He has not done a great job at all. He has made many mistakes and the only reason why he has got away with it so far is due to his predecessor and the very fact that the majority of Villa fans have shown the one virtue that has been criticised in posts above.

Lambert has presided over one of the worst seasons i have ever experienced as a Villa supporter and speaking from my own personal point of view i have been sick with worry that he would take us down this season due to those mistakes which have been highlighted elsewhere. He has gambled with the club's future with his transfer policy and if we stay up those weaknesses which he has thrown several millions at will need the same amount or more to fix next season namely in defence and midfield.

For me one or two results and performances against Liverpool and Sunderland does not constitute or point to him being the right man for us when for most of the season we have been battling against relegation and suffering indignity in the cup competitions.

We may have turned a corner as i stated in the match thread for the Sunderland game but we have a long way to go before i am convinced that Lambert is the right manager for our football club.

What twaddle - six wins in the last nine is not one or two perfromances.

Still prefer Redknapp would you Morpheus? or Berbatov up front? or Bent instead of Benteke? or Newcastle's French foreign Legion?

Lambert has stuck to his guns, not paniced and calmly turned things around and will go from strength to strength now

The only people that seem to panic was a small minority of fans. Most fans stuck with him as you could see what he was trying to do. Previous manages that lost the fans, did so because there was no hope. With lambert you always had that sense and hope that it would turn around. There was only ever one or two fans around me that started to turn against him at the game.

Been brilliant recently and certainly looks like next season will be much better. TBH the people unhappy with Lambert were unhappy as they didn't believe this squad was as poor as they were showing, the last few months have shown that. The ones who seem to never have lost faith in Lambert were also the same ones saying there was nothing he could do when we were going through an awful period.

It's been amazing ever since the newcastle game and he gets lots of credit for that. I'm starting to get a lot more excited about next season.

hahaha, you kill me BJ. All the tripe you've posted all season and now the volte-face (or maybe in this case, holte-face)

I lot of people have been saying this all season and saying it in the face of your constant criticism

Anyway, water under the bridge - welcome back from the Dark Side

2013Form1_zps020ee074.jpg

Constant improvement in average points return since January, 9th on form in 2013, 7th in current form

And thank god for that improvement as before that we were as bad as we've ever been since the Premier League started.

Despite a Wigan-esque revival we're most likelly go into the last game of the season having to not lose against Wigan to stay up

Despite a Wigan-esque revival we're most likelly go into the last game of the season having to not lose against Wigan to stay up

It is still possible, but is it really 'most likely'?

Don't know maybe not, but with our GD we'll need an extra point against most teams

Don't know maybe not, but with our GD we'll need an extra point against most teams

2 of 5 is not most?

Lowton is tidy going forward but not yet a premier league defender.

I'm sorry, what?

The way the team is set up isn't the best defensively - our ethos is generally more "outscore the opposition" rather than "keep it tight and nick ahead". And Lowton has had shaky moments, but he's had a damn lot of confident competent displays including vs . Sunderland when he put in one of the best fullback performances in years, and I say that as a current fullback.

He quite clearly is Premier League class. Most of our team are, it's why we've won 6 of our last 11. Bennett, yeah. Can see an argument for him not being PL class. El Ahmadi also. Holman certainly, Clark possibly,  Bannan definitely, Albrighton possibly. But Lowton? Bizarre example. He's arguably our 2nd best player this season.

BTW we've been perfectly set up in our last two games - three in midfield has choked the oppositions central productivity hence we've conceded less through the middle as has been a big problem this season. One problem yesterday was the complete lack of cover for Bennett and Lowton/Lichaj by Weimann and Gabby.

Still, I've had faith in Lambert all season and whilst it's taken the odd knock - I have faith still. And it's paying off.

Yep unless Wigan melt down in their next 2 games it looks like we will go into the last game with a chance of going down.

We might beat Chelsea and that will take care of it but....... 

I just hope that we have some teams below us like Sunderland, Norwich and Newcastle. That way they all have to get a result and that will be hard when you see Norwich at Man City, Sunderland at Spurs and Newcastle home to Arsenal.

Yesterday's joy has been replaced by nerves again as I type this..... It would be great if Stoke and Swansea at least get a draw this week.

Edited by Texas_Mike

I think we'll be fine, purely because I can only see Norwich getting 1 more point all season.</p>

We will go into the final game being able to lose to Wigan and being able to stay up. Purely because of the fixture computer.</p>

Norwich @ Man City

Sunderland @ Spurs

Arsenal @ Newcastle

Put a 3 team accie on those 3 results of maybe a quid and you'll get 40 quid back. And that's without Southampton @ Stoke and Swansea @ Fulham.

Don't panic.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Oh just give it a rest morpheus.

Why don't you express an opinion for a change rather than point scoring. You did on occasion write some good posts.

I thought you condemned point scoring?  :blink:

I agree with you regarding the use of that word, but I find your post a bit rich.

• Like 1