Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The thing is though I think you fully expect as a fan that you will get the odd very poor performance and severe beating although I will grant you that under Houllier far too many of the performances served up were gutless and totally lacking in effort.

What you never expect though is what we saw from Houllier that night. It was one thing him lording it in front of the Kop after the tripe his team had just served up it was another the fact that he totally ignored us the fantastic supporters of this great club. We should never be treated like that as we are deserving of far better.

Sorry mod's for keeping this off topic. Again :)

The thing is though I think you fully expect as a fan that you will get the odd very poor performance and severe beating although I will grant you that under Houllier far too many of the performances served up were gutless and totally lacking in effort.

What you never expect though is what we saw from Houllier that night. It was one thing him lording it in front of the Kop after the tripe his team had just served up it was another the fact that he totally ignored us the fantastic supporters of this great club. We should never be treated like that as we are deserving of far better.

Sorry mod's for keeping this off topic. Again :)

I don't see how some people don't get this. I guess it must be easy for them sitting behind a keyboard, watching streams on the internet to only care about the performance. Those of us that spend hundreds of pounds on away games over the season and travel thousands of miles do not expect manager or player behaviour that rubs salt well and truly into the wounds.

Please can we stop talking about Houllier? I've got a bad cold already and this making me feel completely miserable.

Let's just be glad he left without doing too much harm and now we have Lambert who is all round a better manager and figurehead for the squad.

6 games in all competitions now since a defeat. Looking a lot tighter at the back and we have looked like scoring goals in the last couple of games. Well done Paul Lambert, here's hoping the improvement continues.

Oh and if things don't go our way against Chelsea and Spurs, please can we stay calm!

:D

I've seen you do this around the site a few times today. While it is easy to gloat it is much harder to live in quiet satisfaction.

As far as my quote is concerned I said 'yet' and while it was a fantastic performance by both the players and the manager, it is only one game, encouraging though as it is.

I've seen you do this around the site a few times today. While it is easy to gloat it is much harder to live in quiet satisfaction.

As far as my quote is concerned I said 'yet' and while it was a fantastic performance by both the players and the manager, it is only one game, encouraging though as it is.

Some of your comments today have been as positive as i've ever seen. Long may it continue :)

For some reason when PL name was first mutterd way back in January as being our potential replacement I really felt that this guy could bring the new direction to villa that we need if he ever became manager.

Boy is he showing this in abundance. Top Top Manager and capable of doing anything he wants at this club.

His man management is top notch. His media handling is something of enjoyment. His transfer dealings are astute. Not even Harry and his Magic wand could have made this fabulous rollercoaster ride happen so far.

A very good time to be a Villa fan right now.

Norwich fan here. I went to the game on Saturday so I thought I would chip in with my two cents. I can understand why you are concerned because it is your worst start for 43 years. But when Lambert was in charge of us we actually started very slowly as well. We drew 0-0 with Walsall (still the worst game of professional football I have ever seen), got outmuscled in a 2-1 defeat by MK Dons and were exceptionally fortunate to burgle late draws against Gillngham and Charlton. But ultimately it was the start of something. He was able to give every player in the squad a chance to show whether they were capable of doing a job at first team level. Some previously unheralded players responded brilliantly and became fixtures in the side. I also wouldn't be too concerned about his attitude towards senior professionals. Originally Wes Hoolahan was excluded altogether from the squad and was later reintroduced. If a player is good enough and has the right attitude they will play matches under him. We also at least started to look like a vaguely organised team during those games as well. Which I felt Villa did on Saturday. You will notice that with 10 men you were very disciplined. You didn't chase the ball like headless chickens. You stayed in formation and shape making it very difficult for Norwich to break through.

This isn't going to happen overnight for you guys. The team has been in decline for a couple of years and money is scarce. For where your club is at the moment now in terms of limited finance and investment, Lambert represents the best option around of you arresting this slide. Don't simply write off his signings as lower league players who aren't good enough. Every player has to start somewhere. The likes of Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott, Leighton Baines, Darren Bent and many others all started life as football league players. I thought in particular Matthew Lowton looked a player of good promise and Joe Bennett has had very good reviews for Middlesborough despite being rocky for you at the weekend. Lambert is giving the club a clear direction which is to inject a core of young, hungry players back into a lop sided and ageing squad. You have already suffered numerous times from chopping and changing since O'Neill left. Now is the time to stay strong and back your manager. Who for me is one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

I also don't think you can judge him tactically yet either. Your squad is paper thin (like ours was) when he took over. As things develop over time and he is able to acquire more players he will be able to play different systems. To start with we were very one dimensional relying on the diamond but as our player base expanded we are now able to playing 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and the diamond system all with great success. I think we may even have attempted to play 3-5-2 this season had he stayed with his German influences to coaching. The best thing you can do is support a young manager and young team through a difficult settling in period. I think he has the capability to do for you what Moyes has done for Everton in the long term.

I am not surprised by what I have seen from your lot in recent weeks. He is a very special manager. Luckily we seem to have found another one to replace him. Happy days all round.

• Like 1