Paul Lambert

Pilchard

MyMartin Oneill was managing under a totally different criteria and controls that Paul Lambert is. His brief was to get us into the top four within 4 years.

Then he failed, despite heavy backing.

Oneil = Excellent manager for that approach

I would argue that The Emperor was not wearing any clothes ....

You cut off the bit where I said "and what he's shown at Villa".

Ok and what's he shown at villa? Surely you aren't going to claim that a draw at Newcastle and a win against Swansea shows more than any game under MON?

Getting back to back promotions with Norwich and then keeping them in the Premier League is pretty impressive

More impressive than consecutive top half finishes with Leicester? More impressive than winning trophies? More impressive than getting Leicester playing in Europe? Really?

The fact that he rotates his squad and picks players for a specific game instead of just putting out the same 11 every week and having them burn out in March? The fact that he actually makes meaningful substitutions instead of the obligatory Heskey on for Carew at 80 minutes (or vice versa).

That's a very simple view of things. Like I said I wonder how many Leicester and Celtic games you watched. And i guess when we we beat the likes of man united and arsenal away that had nothing to do with tactics and just pure luck.

I have to admit that, towards the end of MON's reign, I was beginning to get bored of his lack of a plan B when we found ourselves staring defeat in the face. In fact, I even began to find the football a little bit boring! What I did like about us under his management was the fact we never seemed to really cave in and give up. The players fought for him and I think that's what made his brand of football more exciting to watch than those that followed him.

After a couple of seasons of utter garbage and the negative crap that was served up by last season's coward in charge, MON's brand of footie looked a hell of a lot better in comparison.

Lambert has come in with a fresh approach and got the players having a go at the opposition and playing a bit of football in the process. This, after last season's debacle, is a very refreshing approach! He also has the players fighting for him and I think that is the main area where the MON comparisons are coming from.

I think it is far too early for anyone to start judging Lambert has a Villa manager. What he has done before us is pretty mush irrelevant now as it has no impact on us as a football club. I think he has made a few mistakes early on with the players chosen against Everton and the positions that some of them occupied on the pitch but he needs to be given time to find out for himself which is best for the club and I am one of those fans who is more than prepared to give him time to settle and find his feet because I like what he seems to be trying to do. The club seems to at least have some kind of vision of the future under Lambert, which is something that could not be said for the last managerial appointment!

MoN was average and has been most of his career. If MoN stated he wanted to come back would anyone honestly have him back over Lambert. His football was dire,boring rubbish and required no tactics. Absolute crap. Three 6th places don't win you anything and it was horrible to watch, I would rather Lambert who is willing to try different things than watch the garbage Martin O Neill dealt out.

You cut off the bit where I said "and what he's shown at Villa".

Ok and what's he shown at villa? Surely you aren't going to claim that a draw at Newcastle and a win against Swansea shows more than any game under MON?

Lots of promise. A willingness to rotate his squad and look outside the Premier League for players. Tactically he's also far better than O'Neill, but that's not exactly hard. If Lambert stays here for 4 years and gets a similar amount of backing then I think he'll achieve far more.

More impressive than consecutive top half finishes with Leicester? More impressive than winning trophies? More impressive than getting Leicester playing in Europe? Really?
I think so, especially in this day and age where money is much more important.

That's a very simple view of things. Like I said I wonder how many Leicester and Celtic games you watched. And i guess when we we beat the likes of man united and arsenal away that had nothing to do with tactics and just pure luck.
Even McLeish managed to beat Chelsea 3-1 away. Does that mean he's tactically astute to an extent? Of course not. Just because we managed to beat the top teams a few times doesn't mean he's tactically aware. I would say in many of those games yes we were lucky because under O'Neill our gameplan was basically to sit back and grab a goal on the counter and then defend for our lives. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't. He had no plan B, and this was evident at home particularly.

Absolutely crazy and little point debating it anymore.

:lol::lol: :bonk: :bonk: :crylaugh::crylaugh:

Heaven forbid somebody have a different opinion to you.

It is a pretty mad opinion though. A bit like that "Holman is more useful than Messi" opinion on the other thread.

I am sure it is only one eyed Villa fans and Paul Lambert's family who could look at the two managers achievements over their careers and conclude that Lamberts are better.

Have that opinion if you want. But when it's that crazy with little to back it up debating it is pointless.

It is a pretty mad opinion though. A bit like that "Holman is more useful than Messi" opinion on the other thread.

I am sure it is only one eyed Villa fans and Paul Lambert's family who could look at the two managers achievements over their careers and conclude that Lamberts are better.

I never actually said that Lambert had achieved more, just that I think his achievements with Norwich were greater than O'Neill's at Leicester. I do think that Lambert has the potential to achieve much much more though.