The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Id love to have around the negotiation table when this deal was being thrashed out

SG - "I want a 5 year deal with wages of thifty five thousand pounds a week"

AV "no problem, sign here".

Can't see Boro signing him unless he takes a massive paycut.

That's the problem with him and Hutton, they'd get in most championship clubs but no one down there can afford to sign them full time apart from QPR probably. Most premier league clubs could but I can't see who'd want them and Given would just be  back up at another club which I doubt he wants.

Id love to have around the negotiation table when this deal was being thrashed out

SG - "I want a 5 year deal with wages of thifty five thousand pounds a week"

AV "no problem, sign here".

I imagined as:

SG - "I want a four year deal with wages of thirty thousand pounds a week"

AV - "Are you sure we can't push you higher on that? At your age you need some security. How about 5 years and..."

• Like 2

It is little known, but for a few years there, Aston Villa had retained the New York Mets' management to negotiate contracts.

At least we avoided a Bobby Bonilla situation, where:

After a subpar season in 1999, the Mets released Bonilla, but still owed him $5.9 million. The team had to get him off their book in order to sign another player, so they worked out a deal: If Bonilla would defer payment for a decade, they would pay him an annuity worth far more than the $5.9 million. Bonilla accepted the offer, resulting in an annual paycheck of $1.19 million starting in 2011 and ending in 2035.

• Like 1

He was very poor every time he played last season - that's probably why he isn't even back-up.

I still believe we would've won that Bradford tie had Guzan been in goal.

I don't think it would have made a slight bit of difference.

He wasn't to blame for any of the goals

• Like 2

Hopefully they'll sign him if he does alright there.

Great keeper in his prime, but agreeing to pay his pension for a few years was insanity.

he might have roots up there so might decide to stay for family reasons

He was very poor every time he played last season - that's probably why he isn't even back-up.

hmmmm he was very flappy for me - the header guzan would have swolled whole before it had got to anyone else.

Don't really know how you can say he wasn't to blame for any of the goals. I can't remember them all exactly from memory but he was stuck to his line all the time and as villan_007 said he was also very flappy. We got murdered from corners (did they actually score any that weren't directly or indirectly from corners?) and I don't think it's a coincidence that since Guzan has been in goal we've been conceding less from corners.

Â