U.S. Politics

maqroll

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sorry, Queen's Regulations - a long list of regulations that service personnel have to adhere to. 

I assure you my sideburns remained insubordinate for 10 years.

Queens "guidelines" when you have a stripe.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I read this the other day and it definitely made me sympathetic: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/lisa-montgomery-death-row-execution-history

But yes it's about as awful a crime as you can imagine.

Jesus, what a ghastly read. Poor woman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm no advocate of the death sentence, far from it in fact however there was no doubt about this women's guilt and the crime was beyond horrific. Given the detail in the planning it is hard to accept the mitigation offered.

Not looked into the crime, although it must have been horrific . Thought the medical team saying she isn’t mentally fit  to receive the death sentence, was the issue, and not sure why they would say that if it wasn’t the case, but I need to catch up on the case. 

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I read this the other day and it definitely made me sympathetic: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/lisa-montgomery-death-row-execution-history

But yes it's about as awful a crime as you can imagine.

Wow. I originally said that it was **** up and shouldn't have happened, but I wasn't that sympathetic. 

I take it back. Thats broke my heart a little. The fact they rushed through this execution shows the kind of base Trump supporters have become. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not looked into the crime, although it must have been horrific . Thought the medical team saying she isn’t mentally fit  to receive the death sentence, was the issue, and not sure why they would say that if it wasn’t the case, but I need to catch up on the case. 

Read the article posted by @Rolta

Absolutely awful.

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

She strangled a pregnant woman to death and then cut the baby out of her and passed it off as her own.

Her background was grim - long term abuse as a child including being repeatedly raped by her father, but including all sorts of psychological and physical abuse from both parents. The abuse also including an instance that lead to her suffering brain damage. There's considerable evidence she was suffering from a variety of mental disorders (unsurprisingly), but unfortunately her legal defence was effectively incompetent and none of this came to light until after she was already sentenced.

She committed a horrific crime but the number of reasons for a death sentence being unsound, even if you accept the death penalty as justifiable in general, is considerable.

Unfortunately the Supreme Court is stacked with Republicans, good God fearing people who like to send people to their maker.

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Read the article posted by @Rolta

Absolutely awful.

Jesus Christ 

Im not 100% against the death penalty, but  I honestly can’t see how they can execute this woman as she’s seriously mentally ill  .Poor child .

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Sorry, Queen's Regulations - a long list of regulations that service personnel have to adhere to. There's also other rules and regs outside of QRs, often specific to locations or situations etc.

Yes all true, but a slightly different context. The to-and-fro was about whether the (US) military has the discretion not to obey (legal) orders given by their commander in chief, including using the nuclear. 

In that situation then not doing so is itself illegal, specifically, mutiny. The line separating the exercise of judgement and mutiny is legality. 

• Like 1

NSAID elevated to the NSC with former Obama UN person Sam Power back in the hotseat.

At least the pretense is removed, I suppose. I wonder how soft this power will be.

Edited by villakram

This whole situation could turn into a situation similar to Litten vs Hitler when it ends up in court. Litten was the lawyer that picked Adolph apart in a cross hearing about the violence conducted by Hitler's paramilitary groups before he took over power. Much like Trump he distanced himself from his thugs, but was quickly dismantled by Litten - a Jewish lawyer who would later be sent to a concentration camp.

Litten called Hitler as a witness, hoping to expose the Nazi party's deliberate strategy of overthrowing democracy by bringing terror to the streets. Hitler had previously assured middle-class voters that the SA was an organisation dedicated to "intellectual enlightenment".

Over three hours in May 1931, this claim was dismantled by Litten's precise, detailed questioning.

At first, Hitler insisted to Litten that he was committed to "100% legality". But his composure began to crack when Litten asked him why he had been accompanied by armed men. "That is complete lunacy," the Nazi leader barked.

But the decisive blow came when Hitler was asked why the Nazi party had published a pamphlet by Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's chief propagandist, which promised the movement would "make revolution" and "chase parliament to the devil" using "German fists".

That pamphlet sounds an awful lot like the "Stop the steal" BS.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

Literally everything about Trump echoes the rise of a fascist dictator.  

How many people have theorised about going back and killing Hitler if time travel were possible. We don't need time travel, we need to ensure Trump is stopped now.

Then the USA is going to have to carefully go about de-radicalising hundreds of thousands of people.. That's going to be the most important thing otherwise another Trump is just going to come out of the woodwork. 

15 minutes ago, villakram said:

NSAID elevated to the NSC with former Obama UN person Sam Power back in the hotseat.

At least the pretense is removed, I suppose. I wonder how soft this power will be.

@villakramYou'll enjoy the cutting honesty of the full book review..

Linky

... Even by the genre’s standards, the author is boringly self-obsessed. Mundane everyday life over-intrudes. She even commends herself for reproaching herself for her self-absorption. “I would catch myself feeling satisfied by a powerful speech I had made at the UN, or a compelling argument I had put before the President. I would then excoriate myself for measuring the wrong thing. “It’s not inputs that matter,” I would hear in my head. “It’s outcomes.”’ Aren’t you glad you didn’t write this?

The main effect of this cry of the heart, from an exhausted progressive centrism, is to demonstrate a shortcoming of American public life. Most troubling is not Power’s silences or affectations but the unwarranted applause elite society gives her. There are few bad reputational consequences for profound errors of judgment and for analytical negligence. To the contrary, ex-policymakers who are complicit in disasters that waste blood and treasure, and harm the national interest, still enjoy a cosy existence in their sunset.

There is little ethos of shame. Washington’s national security state — its bureaucracy, media and institutions — ushers them into a rewarding afterlife of acclamation and baubles, op-eds and softball interviews, university posts, think-tank sinecures, consultancies, lectures and book contracts. Government service is monetised and converted into portfolio careers. At the very least, the well-meaning war party’s persistent failures would suggest the need for some private contemplation after leaving office. American democracy won’t emulate societies such as classical Athens that would regularly ostracise public officials for a decade in exile. Short of that, if only Washington would become a little more Greek.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villakram said:

I googled NSAID and it's a pain relief drug. 

When you get time, can you explain what's happening and how this affects the pretence please?

Aha!

I googled Sam Power, found Samantha Power and discovered that she's now on the US Agency for International Development.

USAID I presume is the same as NSAID, so I'm moving forward.

She's a hawkish type with a history of supporting/creating conflict in Yemen, Libya and Syria so I'm guessing that the pretence is that there won't be a return to the more old school US interventionist support for international wars, when actually there will and the people that have a history of it are being put back into place?

The only report I can see on the USAID being made part of the NSC though is from 2017 when it was elevated to be part of that branch, so I'm still missing stuff.

@villakram I'm including this stuff because I find your worldview interesting, and I find that when I understand what you're talking about I quite often agree with you - but an awful lot of your posts feel like I missed the first few episodes and I don't quite know what's happening. The intricacies of the structure of US politics are beyond most of us here and a little more explanation with the opinion would often be really helpful, especially since I'd quite like to understand.

• Like 3

Â