U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Is it just me that thinks whoever wins is likely to be at least the target of an assignation attempt within their term?

People said that Obama would be assassinated due to his color but as far as I'm aware he hasn't even been the victim of an attempt.

This election has been full of so much hyperbole, anxiety and drama but it will go back to business as usual eventually. The news loves to drag things out to heighten ratings. More importantly than the Presidential race is the house and senate. Thats where shit actually gets done, or in the case of the last 6 years, the nuttty wing of the Republicans block everything just because they can.

There's always the possibility of an attempt by a lone crazy but the Secret Service are pretty good at what they do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Is it just me that thinks whoever wins is likely to be at least the target of an assignation attempt within their term?

Remember people saying the same about Obama. It's seems with both sides so hyped up kind of obvious but I guess those in charge of this kind of thing do a hell of a job in protecting them. 

I imagine the list of people worldwide who would like to take down a US president is pretty huge so an equal amount gets spent to make sure it (mostly) doesn't happen.

18 minutes ago, lp_villa830 said:

We all know she's guilty of something though...right?

She is. It was found so. They just decided not to prosecute. She was found to have sent classified data over her private e mail rather than the state's e mail system.

[The FBI] investigation looked at whether there is evidence classified information was improperly stored or transmitted on that personal system, in violation of a federal statute making it a felony to mishandle classified information either intentionally or in a grossly negligent way, or a second statute making it a misdemeanor to knowingly remove classified information from appropriate systems or storage facilities.

[the FBI found that]...seven e-mail chains concern matters that were classified at the Top Secret/Special Access Program level when they were sent and received. These chains involved Secretary Clinton both sending e-mails about those matters and receiving e-mails from others about the same matters. There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the position of those government employees with whom she was corresponding about these matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation. In addition to this highly sensitive information, we also found information that was properly classified as Secret by the U.S. Intelligence Community at the time it was discussed on e-mail (that is, excluding the later “up-classified” e-mails).

None of these e-mails should have been on any kind of unclassified system, but their presence is especially concerning because all of these e-mails were housed on unclassified personal servers not even supported by full-time security staff, like those found at Departments and Agencies of the U.S. Government—or even with a commercial service like Gmail...

...As a result, although the Department of Justice makes final decisions on matters like this, we are expressing to Justice our view that no charges are appropriate in this case.

In the same way that Trump is unfit to be Pres. because of his lying, sex pest, bankrupt, unstable nature, Clinton is unfit because she mishandled classified information on a large scale. She got let off by the System. Others have not been so lucky.

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What for?

The FBI didn't find anything.

Were politics removed from this, she would be trivially prosecuted under the same laws that have been used to nail many whistleblowers and a certain General.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Interestingly I understand quite a few other high level well known politicians have done exactly the same thing as Clinton. But they got away with it.

Yes, but not in the same way. The key difference is that many things are alleged in the land of politics; however, rarely do we get a clear b&w view of exactly what happened, which we've gotten in this case. Many have been found to have used personal email in contravention of regulations (and possibly the law?), but how many have been proven to be sending classified info. here there and everywhere. This is the explicitly illegal part. Intent plays no part in this law, e.g., whistleblowers.

Also, I think the world has changed quite significantly w.r.t. the ubiquitousness of mobile etc. communications since the days of the Bush presidency. 

Of course, another way to look at this would be to see it as evidence of a single amorphous power structure clearly prioritizing itself.

I'd have to answer no to that even if I think a lot of the criticism of her is way way over blown. 

I was talking to a friend today about how the fact that she is potentially the first female president of the US has played almost zero part in this election. With Obama it was a really big deal that they were potentially getting their first black president. It was regularly discussed and talked about how historic a moment this was. Seems a first female is equally historic but it barely gets a mention. 

Going back to your question it's difficult to remember anyone saying anything positive about her. It's been an election fought in the pig sty which worries me because I think that was exactly what Trump wanted. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

America for me is essentially an experiment that's gotten out of control.

We've thrown as many cultures into a giant melting pot to see what would happen and it turns out the answer to that is Donald Trump.

Trump supporters perceive him to be the last hope for a demographic that is sliding into oblivion. The racial/economic hierarchy is transforming in a way that downgrades their status. They find themselves in a modern world that has no use for their skills. They are voting on emotion and fear, and when he loses, there will be violence.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Out of interest is there anyone that is pro Clinton, regardless of her opposition?

Yes. College educated women over 35 are pretty much overwhelmingly pro Hillary. 

• Like 1

Â